Track Car - One more quick question?

Started by dlivingstone_19, October 26, 2009, 21:37

dlivingstone_19

Looking to turn my mr2 purely into a track car.

What would everyone recommend I do to mine?

It's a standard MR-S running,

Lowering Springs
16inch Lightweight 5Zigen Alloys
No Engine Mods
Standard Brakes

Would this be a reliable car to use?

Any input would be great.
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

muffdan

What year and what milage?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

dlivingstone_19

It's 1999 V Reg and around 80k. Not great I know.
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

muffdan

do you have any idea on oil consumption or compression ratios? It is a lot of miles on a pre-facelift engine.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

dlivingstone_19

No I don't but will carry out an compression test.

My oil consumption is fine. Serviced 1 a year and never need to top it up.

I think the key to this project is budget and buying a lower mileage mr2 is out of the question.

Toyota MRS Spec:

MattPerformance

Why purely a track day car?  The great thing about the Roadster is that it can be a fantastic track day weapon whilst still delivering every day practicality, reliability and running costs.  All you need is more power, more grip, better suspension (including bracing) and more track tolerant brakes.  You can add stuff like seats, steering wheel (even harnesses), oil cooler, baffled sump, hard top.

You can spend a small fortune on this kind of project but actually, when you compare the costs to an alternative car (e.g. an Elise) the whole experience can end up being a whole lot cheaper... and frankly more fun - trust me, there is nothing more satisfying than beating up Lotuses on track in an MR2 Roadster  s:D :D s:D

carl_evs

If it is purely for the track then you can get rid of any of the practical day to day stuff. I know one of the members on SC removed all his inner plastics and once the hardtop was on also removed the soft top for weight saving - this mod also works out free other than the time spent removing them!!
Updated bracing and bushings etc would be on my list if i was to do it as well - especially as your car has done 80,000 miles. If your going for track use only as well then look at the more suiteds track tyres - I'm sure these are covered in some depth on here as well.
If you aren't going to run it on the road I would also look at some of the high performance brake pads aimed specifically for such use - otherwise you are more prone to brake fade and such with the standard setup.

As mentioned above, you could spend a fortune on it as a track weapon if so desired - but that doesnt sound like your aim.
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

dlivingstone_19

Ok thanks.

When I said track car in earlier post... I still need to use it most days on the road. Sorry

How much would I be talking to to get some bracing and new bushes on the car?

Time wise fitment for bushes?

I'm looking for handling and braking rather than power.

I'm in need for new discs and pads all the way round. Any makes you would recommend? Standard discs with performance pads. Also would a brake fluid change be worth while, hasn't been done for a while. Would use uprated fluid?

Thanks

Toyota MRS Spec:

muffdan

If it ain't using oil, it looks like you have one of the good engines in which case, go for it!

Bracing is a great improvement to make, ARBs make a massive difference. Brakes wise, I have the black diamond grooved and drilled discs with Carbontech XP8 pads. Braking performance is immense but they are a bit squeally under gentle braking at low speeds. I hear the stock pads work great.
Jason

dlivingstone_19

"Bracing is a great improvement to make, ARBs make a massive difference. Brakes wise, I have the black diamond grooved and drilled discs with Carbontech XP8 pads"

Do you know how much getting some ARBs would cost? Do you have website for these?

Also how much did your brake set up cost you?

Toyota MRS Spec:

muffdan

Not sure on the price of the bracing, I got mine in the group buy a few months ago so saved a bit on shipping. You want to check out Che's ebay store:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/delubozparts

if you can't find the bracing, send him a message about it instead.

The brake discs run at about £360 for the set. The pads I got at a very good price of £165 for the set, second hand from an ex-member of this board. Rogue sell these on their site but the price tags will make your eyes water! You might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere, especially in The States. They're the Panther XP8 (Carbotech) pads listed in the link below.

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/products.aspx?cat=27
Jason

dlivingstone_19

Ok I think the first step is give the car the following:

Full service
Front and Rear brake discs and pads (req anyway) Vented discs with updated pads?
Brake Fluid change
Front and rear upper strut braces

That will be a good start.

Any more ideas let me know everyone.

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

If you are doing the brakes I would fit a set of Goodridge stainless flexi hoses on, gives you a better brake pedal.

Rob

muffdan

I would prioritise ARBs over a rear strut brace. There's very little movement between the rear strut braces and little benefit (if any) to be had from a rear strut brace.
Jason

Rowland

Quote from: "muffdan"I would prioritise ARBs over a rear strut brace. There's very little movement between the rear strut braces and little benefit (if any) to be had from a rear strut brace.

I really struggled getting uprated ARB's in the UK for my mk3 race car.
I ended up having to use a company in the states and ordered Whiteline adjustable front and rears - Made a significant differance upon fitting.

phillmat

can u let me know where u got the ARB's from as i need to do this on my car and find it a pain trying to find uk places to buy from.

mattbrown82

Pentagon Toyota Sheffield have some on ebay at the moment. Do a search for Mr2 Roadster Stablizer kit. This is the TTE ARB kit.

Give them a bell and they may be able to beat the Ebay price (they did with the TTE springs).
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

Rowland

Quote from: "phillmat"can u let me know where u got the ARB's from as i need to do this on my car and find it a pain trying to find uk places to buy from.

Mine were from an affliate on Spyderchat called JNZ Tuning

m http://www.jnztuning.net/shop/catalog/ m

Fast friendly faultless service!

dlivingstone_19

Does anyone recommend Mintex Brake Pads?

Toyota MRS Spec:

Ilogik

Quote from: "dlivingstone_19"Does anyone recommend Mintex Brake Pads?

compared to stock the mintex are worse. Personally id buy yourself some nice carbotech if your going to do a lot of track action, if not stick to the stockers and just enjoy driving it.

Also invest in some higher temp brake fluid if you go that route.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

dlivingstone_19

Ok,

I need to renew the brakes the whole way round so guess I could go standard discs and either carbotech or greenstuff brake pads

What do you think

Toyota MRS Spec:

Ilogik

Quote from: "dlivingstone_19"Ok,

I need to renew the brakes the whole way round so guess I could go standard discs and either carbotech or greenstuff brake pads

What do you think

green stuff fall apart and are worse than stock brakes in my opinion.

dlivingstone_19

Carbontech are quite expensive, I guess you get what you pay for.

Where is the best place to get good quality cheap brakes?

How often should a brake fluid change be carried out?

Toyota MRS Spec:

carl_evs

Quote from: "Ilogik"green stuff fall apart and are worse than stock brakes in my opinion.

Got to disagree with you there, I have had greenstuff on my 2 for the last 2 years and haven't had an issue with them - I run Greenstuff pads and EBC drilled and grooved and am more than happy with the set up - Red stuff would be better for track but if as u say you still want to be using it on the road then Red looses out a little as they work at higher temps - making Green your choice.
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

Ilogik

Quote from: "carl_evs"
Quote from: "Ilogik"green stuff fall apart and are worse than stock brakes in my opinion.

Got to disagree with you there, I have had greenstuff on my 2 for the last 2 years and haven't had an issue with them - I run Greenstuff pads and EBC drilled and grooved and am more than happy with the set up - Red stuff would be better for track but if as u say you still want to be using it on the road then Red looses out a little as they work at higher temps - making Green your choice.

I found the pads a little brittle and they used to eat the disks. Stock pads are decent enough. End of the day its trial and error and everyone has different preferences.

Tags: