Bad accident last night.

Started by Anonymous, December 23, 2009, 16:58

Anonymous

Put my 2 in the central reservation on the M8 last night, absolutely gutted.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

A simple slow speed lane change, from inside to middle lane, doubt i was doing any more than 25-30 and the car simply went, spun and slowly put me into the barriers. Hit passenger side, front first then rear. Both front and rear wings are gone, bumpers and lights too. Front bonnet is also kaput. Hoping engine lid is ok as i have a spoiler on it.
Managed to get back over to the hard shoulder and pulled rear wing away from the wheel, sat for a few minutes and kept an eye on the gauges. All seemed fine so managed to limp home. Irony being twice on the way i saw and drove over iced up sections of road that caused some tail slipping but easily controlled moments, whereas the section i lost control on felt aand looked fine.

Awaiting the car being picked up tomorrow, then just have to wait until the new year for the verdict.

Please go easy folks, i have 11years in the mk1 and 4 years in the roadster and tbh am still at a loss to explain exactly what happened. I did attempt to correct immediately, but with no effect.

Upside is i am unhurt apart from a  sore shoulder and back, airbags did not deploy so i cant have hit that hard. Going to lick my wounds over xmas and take stock in the new year.

The Lum

Gutted for you mate. I know the road your meaning and would have thought it would be pretty clear and well gritted. Least your ok and safe to share Xmas with your family.
The man. The legend. The Lum

markiii

sorry to hear that Craig, its really easy done in this weather.

hopefully its just cosmetic as opposed to anything structural
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Mixed tyres front and rear?   s:P :P s:P   s;) ;) s;)

Sorry, not much of a time to be joking really but as long as you're okay that's the main thing. Chin up and all that mate.

Anonymous

Looks horrendous Mark, can't bring myself to put pics up as still so gutted, but hopefully only panels etc.

Part of the m8 and a737 were ice rinks, but the part i was on looked fine.

Anonymous

unlucky mate, its a bit hairy out there at the moment, must be even worse on the wrong side of the border, at least your not hurt. do you think its likely to be a cat D?

Anonymous

Hope not, this is the only car i have ever modded and i was pretty happy with the way i had it.

DannyN

flippin heck Craig, absolutely gutted for you mate   s:( :( s:(
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

wbarrwebster

Christ, if it can happen to you....it can happen to any on us...

Sorry about the car but you have to be thankful, you're ok.....

B
W. B. Webster

NorthandSouth

Craig I'm so sorry to hear about your accident.  Glad that you are ok though but can understand how gutted you are with the damage.  Fingers crossed it is cosmetic as Mark said.  Try not to let it spoil your christmas. xxx
Lynne
2004 Sable Red Edition now sold :( and would so love another!

Anonymous

Ty Lynne. Determined it won't spoil xmas. Gf is here for four days so am just going to push it to the back of my mind, will worry about it in 2010  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Ilogik

Was a very clean car, its just started snowing again here, very depressing weather. Sounds like when I slipped on black ice, the road looked fine, black ice under the snow and I was a passenger, car went  180, lucky enough no cars were coming towards me. I learnt a lesson that day, avoid all back roads and drive through the middle if I have to drive at all. Fingers crossed its easier than it sounds to sort.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

mrzwei

Sorry to hear it but the important thing is that you're ok.
Nothing to do with you really, all about the state of the road.
Impossible to control a car on black ice; it all happens soooo quickly. People think you get time to react, but you don't.
That's what insurance is for.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

russcannell

Really sorry to hear that .... At least you are ok and thats the main thing. I often think that the 2 is just not suited to snow & ice. It seems to be just too light and tail heavy. So when it does go you may as well shut your eyes and wait for the bang.  I have spent loads of time just spinning round car parks etc trying to get a feel for the car, and had thought i had it cracked. Until i came out of a corner onto a dual carriageway and planted the throttle. Didnt expect the spin to be so violent luckily i got away  with no damage except brown stains. Gave me a bit of respect for rear wheel drive LSD light car and too much power. Gutted for you mate  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Russ
Russell Cannell
53 MR2 silver with bodykit & carbon spoiler. Hass Turbo 225bhp 260 Nm Torque.

Anonymous

Hey Craig sorry to hear about you accident mate, glad you are safe, which is the most important.

We've not got a great deal of snow at the moment but the ice is crap, even with 4 wheel drive it can be a bit butt clenching.

Have a good Xmas.

Rob.

BlackSabel

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're ok.
BlackSabel 2003 , Leather interior, TTE Twin Exhaust, Hard Top, Precats gutted, Dev's Keyhole cover, Jspec Black Nose Badge, Apexi Induction Kit, TTE Banana Spoiler, Rear Spats, Toyo TR1's Proxes, Silver Calipers with SteveJ 'MR2' decals, Cusco front strut brace, trd Short Shifter, Speedsource bushings. Mongos with spyder decals. 7" touch screen double din.

inert2k3

Really sorry to hear about what happened mate - I know how much you loved that car.

But as BlackSabel said, im pleased you werent hurt.

Best wishes

Mohammed   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

StuM

To echo the others, gutted for you  s:( :( s:(

Glad you're not injured and hope the 2 is sortable.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

VVT-i

My old works Audi gave up the ghost last week... failed it's MOT and was uneconomical for us to put it through, so it got sold and I'm now useing the MR2 back and forward to work. I finnished up for the holidays on Tuesday night and what's it like this morning? ... 8" deep!

After seeing that you, with your years of experience with the MR2, managing to become one of the many victims of the bad weather I'm kind of glad I didn't have to go out in mine, I feel I have enough experience to be able to handle it OK, but you would have felt the exact same so it just goes to show how easily things can go wrong.

Gutted for you m8, hopefully you can still enjoy the Christmas break and new year, then in 2010 you can get your car repaired even better than before, good luck with it m8.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Silverman

That was a bit of bad news, old mate.  As 'wbweb' said - if you can, we are all pretty vulnerable in this weather.
Thank god others weren't involved and that you are in one piece!  It is snowing hard, on frozen ground, around here just now,
so I think I'll keep my little baby in the garage.  (And to think I used to worry about salt corroding the car in winter.  I've seen '2's
up on lifts that are absolute rust buckets underneath.)     s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

Anonymous

No words just   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Thanks all, nearly didnt post, just lick wounds in silence, but a timely reminder might save someone else so swallowed my rather bruised pride.

As vvti says, i felt experienced enough to cope with the car in this weather, was in no way blase about it though, but still happened.
Keep em wrapped up in this weather if you can folks, not an option for me as im on shifts and no public transport avail.

custardavenger

I'm gutted for you Craig. I know how I would feel. It can be really bad out there. I came across a car on a back road on its side from a very slow speed slide.

I'm sure it will all be cosmetic. As long as you haven't touched the sill, everything else is bolt on.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Quote from: "custardavenger"I'm gutted for you Craig. I know how I would feel. It can be really bad out there. I came across a car on a back road on its side from a very slow speed slide.

I'm sure it will all be cosmetic. As long as you haven't touched the sill, everything else is bolt on.

Cheers, will have a better look tomorrow before they pick up, but don't remember any damage at the sill. Faeces occurs, as the saying goes, could have been a lot worse re injuries and other cars involved, so im thankful for that.

ChrisHumes

unlucky, thats part of the reason i dont use mine in these conditions, no matter how good a driver you are it can still happen. take care people!

Tags: