LED Side Vents

Started by pazaz21, July 10, 2010, 00:35

JiMR2

hahaha - am hitting fleabay now to get a set ordered up!   s:D :D s:D  

Going to get some more cold cathode tubes for the interior as well - damn that Celica - I want my interior to glow like his did!!!!!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Can you PM me the details of the number plate bulbs as well please Nath???

cheers mate!   s:D :D s:D
AKA Cinnamon Jim

pazaz21

I like nathans too. I was thinking about putting one there or possibly in the engine bay vents at the top. I don't know though your only supposed to have red lights at the back, with exception of orange and White for indicators and reverse. When has that ever stopped anyone though.   s:) :) s:)
Black 03 - Electro Luminescent Glow Dials - AEM Cold air Induction - Pioneer F900BT - HID (6000K) Xenon\'s - Red Leather - TRD Style Bar - Red Callipers, Front Rotordisc Brake Discs.

pazaz21

Just fitted them to the engine bay cover along the outer sides so you can't see the LEDs. It's not dark enough to see them yet but il take a pic as soon as it is and post it ready for your valued opinions.  s:) :) s:)
ps don't look at the left sidelights. The bulb fell out of my hand and the knock has damaged it so need a new bulb.
The other thing I noticed is when you apply the brake the LEDs go off so if the fuzz go by just brake. Lol.  That's how they are working wired to my rear sidelights anyway.
Black 03 - Electro Luminescent Glow Dials - AEM Cold air Induction - Pioneer F900BT - HID (6000K) Xenon\'s - Red Leather - TRD Style Bar - Red Callipers, Front Rotordisc Brake Discs.

JiMR2

hmm that sounds strange... sure they're hooked up to the right cables... haven't got them on one of the brake wires have you???

Be interested to see the lights in the engine bay cover...
AKA Cinnamon Jim

pazaz21

Probably wired wrong.  Its only temp though.  Just looked at them in the dark and didnt like it.   s:) :) s:)   Im going to leave them off for now.  s:) :) s:)

pazaz21

I dont like them at all in the engine bay grile.  

I wiped away the dirt that was trapped at the botom (ont the rain catcher thingy) but then the car being black was too shiny and you could see the reflection of the LEDS.   s:( :( s:(

JiMR2

Yeah, does look a bit much eh. Oh well, worth a try!  s:) :) s:)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

manchestermatt1986

Dont want to go off on a tangent here but what dial kit do you have pazaz?
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

pazaz21

Hi Matt

They are EL dials by VPD (visual Performance Design).  You can get them from ebat for about £50.  Or VPD site.

See this forum post:  http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28392

Or their site: http://www.visual-performance.co.uk/

You can fit them in about 20 min, They say you don't need to take a needle off but you do.  I took the engine temp one off, just pops off and then back on again (this one seems best to me as its not as important as the others.  .  Then I wired them straight into the back in one of the bulbs, so when i turn the lights on they come on.  They sit over the top of the old ones so can be removed at any time.  They have a colour changer on them to change the colour from blue to green, and they can also be dimmed by the same controller.  Also if you wire them into where one of the bulbs goes in the dash you can use the stock car dimmer to dim them.

nathanMR2

Its a shame you cant get these on without removing the needles. Its bad that they list them confirming you dont.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

pazaz21

it is bad, and Id like to see how they do it  s:) :) s:)   I certainly couldn't and they don't stretch.  However removing the engine temp needle and putting it back is very simple by using a fork, then put it back at the lowest point as this is where it would have dropped to when you turned the engine off.  I think mine is out by about 1 mm or 2mm.  But this does not bother me as it is only an indication and I can adjust it, but I cant be bothered taking the dash out again at the moment.  

Another thing to point out is that the controller attached to the dials fits nicely in the black dash plastic surround thing that you pull off to get access to the dash.

nathanMR2

Ive just read it's a big no no to remove the needles. As you say im not sure if you take them off and put them back on in the same place you can be that far out. I guessing a mm here or there can make a big difference.

pazaz21

Depends if your interested in the engine temp reading.  Its still working  and is only a guide.  Its not the engine temp sensor, just the needle that represents the engine coolant temp etc.

I wouldn't remove the speedo, rev needle or fuel needle as that would matter if they were the slightest bit out.

nathanMR2

So you didnt have to remove the speedo, rev and fuel ones to get these on then?

pazaz21

no, it slips over them.  but when you get to the last one, the el dials are not stretchy being made of plastic /metal to slip over the engine temp one.  Plus its all one piece not 3 separate ones like ive had before in the past, the separate ones were easier to fit)This is why i took this needle off and then popped it back on again.  The others were not removed.  I did have to flex the needles a little but not enough to snap them or anything like that.  

In the whole process of fitting them I had 2 very small issues.  

1. I broke the speedo resting black spike (the little spike that the needle hits when it drops past 0) - too heavy handed and totally my fault.  Simple fix, I just super-glued it back and you would never know.
2. I had to remove and replace the engine temp needle.  

Its an easy process that takes about 20 - 30 mins, or spend as much time as you like.

I think that the end result is excellent, clear to read dials, brighter, and stylish.

manchestermatt1986

Iv actually started a post on the apperance forum about all this because i want some new dials and matching gauges.

so correct me if im wrong, these dials will just slip over the old ones and you only have to remove one or two needles (temp n fuel)?

If this is right then i will purchase some tomorrow. iv been hearing bad things about chainging the dials over the last week, mainly having to take the needles off and judge where they go back, not too good on the mph n revs
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

pazaz21

I assume that all mr2 dash are the same.

I can confirm that the only needle that I removed and replaced was the engine temp one.  Just try not to turn it when you take it off and put it back where you removed it from, its going to be at the lowest point which is below the cool blue marker.  I put it back on the marker which is why mine is 1mm or 2 mm out.  Like I say this doesn't bother me and I will reposition it in the end when I have the time.

To remove a needle, get a fork, and some tissue paper.  put the tissue paper under the needle, then get the fork and put that under the needle round bit and pop it off.  The tissue will stop the fork from marking the old dials when you leaver the needle off.  

The el glow dials just slip over the needles and sit on top of the old dials.  I used a little blue tack (tiny amounts) just to hold them in place after i had slipped them over the needles.  You dont have to do this.  

You may have to flex the speedo needle and rev needle, but you don't have to remove them.  (or at least I didn't anyway)

evileye_wrx

Sounds a lot better than the old Taurec dials. Esp if you only take off eng temp. It's not the end of the world if you don't put it back exactly. Gets the Evileye Seal of Approval  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

manchestermatt1986

ok, im sold! i will be buying on thurs!   s:D :D s:D

JiMR2

If only they came in red!!!!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
AKA Cinnamon Jim

pazaz21

Excellent choice. They are easy to fit just don't be heavy handed like I was  s:) :) s:)

manchestermatt1986

Dont know if anyone else is itnerested but i have send a email to  w www.visual-performance.co.uk w  asking for any kind of discount and if we needed to do a group buy. As soon as i receive a reply i will post up the prices, if any.

Little cheekyness can go along way   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

nathanMR2

I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Im sure we can get a few of us rounded together. Having said that my current group is slow progress   s:( :( s:(

Tags: