Replacing emergency brake cables MR2 Spyder

Started by Anonymous, August 26, 2011, 14:46

Anonymous

Has anyone repalced the emergency brake cables on an MR2 Spyder? I'm in the process of replacing mine and have come across a problem with their removal! Is it necessary for me to drop the fuel tank in order to remove and replace these cables? If so are there any pitfalls in dropping the fuel tank of which I should be aware? If so are there any tips on how to cope with the pitfalls? Any advice much apprecaited.

uktotty

What are emergency brake cables?

steve-m-uk

Yes the tank needs to be lowered to gain access to a bolt (one each side) which locates the cable to the body.
 You do not need to disconnect any of the tank pipes however.
 With the car supported on stands or on ramps place a trolley jack with a piece of wood to spread the load under the tank,then undo the four bolts holding the tank whilst supporting the weight of the tank with your jack. Next lower the tank about three to four inches,this will allow access to the cable bolt.
 It goes without saying this is best done with the tank as empty as possible  s:) :) s:)
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

Anonymous

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated after scratching my head for a couple of hours!

Steve Green

Are your rear calipers working as they should?

Adjusting the cables is a matter of checking the clearance between the stop pin and crank lever on the caliper as shown here.

The gaps should be 1mm on both sides. No further adjustment is necessary.

If set as above and your handbrake will still not work properly, with 5-8 clicks, you need to check your rear calipers. Do not adjust the cable further as all you will do is stretch them. The calipers internal autoadjusters are usually at fault. Check the How To's for the next stage.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=33557&hilit=rear+caliper+rebuild
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tags: