Back Tyres

Started by Subway, October 2, 2011, 13:23

Subway

Checked my tyres yesterday to find I had a nail in one on the back along with a gauge on inside. Went to local garage to be told that the tyre needs replacing. My question is if I buy a new 16" Yokohama tyre for the passenger rear side do I also need to replace the off side tyre so they match up, or can I just put one new tyre on.

I was quoted £140 for one rear tyre and it's roughly going to come to £300 for 2. Would it be better to buy a set of 4 second hand tyres from ebay for roughly the same price ?

Any advice welcome
Andrew

Steve Green

General rule of thumb for any car would be to keep same tyre brand and same age on each axle. With a RWD car I would think that it is best that both rears are the same brand and age.

I am possibly going to change just one front tyre tomorrow due to a nail (see another thread). Thats only a couple of months and 1500 miles. Much more and I would be changing both.

It might be worth keeping the good tyre as a spare, just incase you have the same problem again.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Stephster

If it's the Yokohama S drive, shop around, the cheapest I was recently quoted for two back tyres was £180 fitted, mist expensive £240.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Subway

Done a search on line and I've found a bridgestone for £125 and that includes fitting. The other rear tyre is a bridgestone so it's a match.

Steve Green

Quote from: "Subway"Done a search on line and I've found a bridgestone for £125 and that includes fitting. The other rear tyre is a bridgestone so it's a match.

Judging by what I might have to pay today for a Bridgestone RE40 front, thats not a bad price. A pair should be less than double that.
If you had mismatched rear tyres before then now things will be better from that point of view.

I would always steer clear of second hand tyres, you don't know their history.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

uktotty

Quote from: "Subway"Done a search on line and I've found a bridgestone for £125 and that includes fitting. The other rear tyre is a bridgestone so it's a match.
What make are on the front?
Why dont you buy a set of 4 from mytyres or black circles, it will cost a load less than the £300 for a pair that you have been quoted!

Subway

The story so far:

Got a quote for one bridgestone potenza 215/45R/16 86W on etyres for £125 and that's home fitted. I've been on ebay and there are a set of 4 alloys with legal tyres on for £140 the only problem being that they are all 15'' rimms. Can you put 15'' rimms on the back of a 2005 mr2 ? I've no idea but this must effect the performance in some way. Last option is a could put two used tyres on the back at £40 but they will not match.

Judgeing by information on this site it seems best to match up all the tyres. If I put a bridgestone on the back all the tyres will match on the car.

Calling around some more places today but it seems unlikly I'll get a lower price.

Subway

black circles have tyres at £122 plus fitted.

Andrew

loadswine

Go up a size slightly at the rear to 225/40/16 and Toyo T1Rs are available at Camskill for £64.80 each! Then get a set of fronts to match ie 195/50/15, at £36.40 each and you are on to a winner, a complete set of new and matching tyres for just over £200!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Subway

Finally decided to buy one bridgestone for £112 (plus fitted) from tyretraders.com. This is lowest price I could find.

Tags: