turboing a SMT

Started by Anonymous, October 26, 2011, 14:27

Anonymous

i have found a turbo kit for the 2 but was off a manual. would this be able to go on my smt with all the existing ecu component? the turbo kit is running a HKS Fcon ProV which is tuned for the manual, so would i need to retune?

aaronjb

Manual and SMT makes no odds when it comes to tuning a car, however..

The SMT requires (absolutely) the stock ECU and various signals to & from it in order to know how & when to shift gears. That mens you can only use a piggyback ECU for fuel & ignition mapping.

Fortunately, the HKS Fcon ProV is a piggyback.. however (to my knowledge) nobody has ever done what you are about to do before, so you're basically on your own and at the mercy of finding a tuner experienced enough to know how to make it work and overcome any hurdles that might come up. It might be plug & play, it might not..

FWIW the only SMT turbo I know of used a Unichip, though I suspect there's a TTE one around somewhere (both are piggyback ECU solutions)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Manual and SMT makes no odds when it comes to tuning a car, however..

The SMT requires (absolutely) the stock ECU and various signals to & from it in order to know how & when to shift gears. That mens you can only use a piggyback ECU for fuel & ignition mapping.

Fortunately, the HKS Fcon ProV is a piggyback.. however (to my knowledge) nobody has ever done what you are about to do before, so you're basically on your own and at the mercy of finding a tuner experienced enough to know how to make it work and overcome any hurdles that might come up. It might be plug & play, it might not..

FWIW the only SMT turbo I know of used a Unichip, though I suspect there's a TTE one around somewhere (both are piggyback ECU solutions)

meaning HKS Fcon ProV needs to be rewired to my smt and tuned. any idea where i can get it tuned?

markiii

as long as its a piggyback then you can pretty much forget about the SMT

the FCOn will likely need connecting to

power
gnd
injector lines x 4
ignition x 4

and maybe a few others. The exact wiring is an unknown as I've never even seen one.

more important is to find somewhere who know ho to tune it as its not a typical piece of kit in teh UK.

In fact I've not heard of anyone on ROC using one before
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

I would have thought you'd need to keep the boost reigned in, as if you needed to change the clutch to handle the power, the SMT might have an issue adapting to a harsher clutch unit. Just a thought.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

SMT can relearn a  harder clutch Nige, and a lightened flywheel come to that

and learn it pretty damn well from memory
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

Its a very clever unit then, that is useful to know. Boost away then !!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

mrzwei

IIRC when Silverstone Performance were offering the TTE turbo kit they did make mention of the SMT. If that is the case, then mattperformance may be worth a pm.
Memory fades, so I may be wrong.

Sorry, Im probably not allowed to use 'IIRC'    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

i
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

markiii

Tte works quite happily with smt

The first demonstrated was an smt

Anonymous

been doing some research and emailing hks europe about the Fcon (silver case), and no one in uk will tune it due to it being an old version. they will tune the gold case version 3.0, 3.2 etc

Tags: