Tyres

Started by Stephster, February 3, 2012, 18:00

Stephster

I know been done before, but not this question ( according to my searching ). I need a new set of backs, but apparently the Yokohama advan is no longer being made, and been replaced by the Yokohama S-drive. The bloke at the tyre place assured me that it is still the same tyre but made from a different compound and will be ok with the advans on the front.
So, my question is, is this really the case ?
Also, would I just be better off switching to Toyos all the way round, and ditching a perfectly good pair of front tyres ?
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

K T M Rider

Quote from: "Stephster"Also, would I just be better off switching to Toyos all the way round, and ditching a perfectly good pair of front tyres ?
no need to ditch anything. Ask the tyre fitter for them back and stick them on ebay.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

markiii

If they are a different compound they aren't the same tyre
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

normanh

Go Toyo's about £65 a corner Blackcircles fully fitted

norman

Stephster

So the S drive turns out to be similar but not the same. End result = front tyres going on ebay as to KTM's advice and Toyos being fitted all round. Slightly more expensive than £65 a corner though, although blackcircles are the cheapest it is costing £284 fully fitted. Not bad, considering the Yokos were coming in at £100 each for the back. Can someone remind me of the recommended pressures for the Toyos as I remember that it is different to stock.
Am very much looking forward to Friday afternoon, when hopefully her backend will be a lot more planted.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !

Mike_V

Quote from: "Stephster"So the S drive turns out to be similar but not the same. End result = front tyres going on ebay as to KTM's advice and Toyos being fitted all round. Slightly more expensive than £65 a corner though, although blackcircles are the cheapest it is costing £284 fully fitted. Not bad, considering the Yokos were coming in at £100 each for the back. Can someone remind me of the recommended pressures for the Toyos as I remember that it is different to stock.
Am very much looking forward to Friday afternoon, when hopefully her backend will be a lot more planted.

Steph. I have 26 psi front and 36 rear and is those pressures are fine for me.

Mike
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mike_V"Steph. I have 26 psi front and 36 rear and is those pressures are fine for me.

Mike

Snap

Anonymous

Is there a Toyo rep masquerading as a member on here?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

2 of the left

Quote from: "life of bryan"
Quote from: "Mike_V"Steph. I have 26 psi front and 36 rear and is those pressures are fine for me.

Mike

Snap
Likewise - 26 front/36 rear - Toyos - response good and secure!! I did try 27 up front but found steering "skittish"  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

ChrisGB

You can now get Yokohama AD08 in stock sizes. Could be one to try out. A set of four works out a bit more than the Toyos, but they are highly rated.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Phil_R

Quote from: "ChrisGB"You can now get Yokohama AD08 in stock sizes. Could be one to try out. A set of four works out a bit more than the Toyos, but they are highly rated.

Chris

+1 Very good tyres, I got some last April, need to replace the rears now after about 12000 miles

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "2 of the left"Toyos - response good and secure!! I did try 27 up front but found steering "skittish"  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Can 1psi really make that big a difference? I cant tell as I poodle around and almost never push boundaries.
TOPS DOWN DRIVE THU THE NIGHT CLICK HERE] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37365

Mike_V

Quote from: "Deadmanwalking"
Quote from: "2 of the left"Toyos - response good and secure!! I did try 27 up front but found steering "skittish"  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Can 1psi really make that big a difference? I cant tell as I poodle around and almost never push boundaries.

It can and does with our cars. I had 28 in the front and it felt uncomfortably light at the front, that was with normal motorway driving.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Stephster

Oh and I forgot to say. Rang Mr T to ask which tyres they would advise to replace the now defunct Toyos, and they said Dunlop. The computer couldn't tell which Dunlop they were though, and I was quoted about £100 each corner. The bloke did suggest that it didn't matter though if I only had Dunlop at the back, and kept the decent Yokos on the front - what excellent advice.....

markiii

having seen what Dunlop Toyota use on the corrollas I wouldn;t be using them on an MR2

sporty they ain't
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Stephster

Well I wasn't going to mix and match anyway, and I had already decided on the toyos at this point. Just rang them out of interest really.

MisterK

Steph - if you can wait until the Ding Day in May, why not try Demon Tweeks for your Toyo's.  I contacted them last year & they beat the Black Circles price by quite a bit & fitted them for me during the day.  I've been very pleased with them.  Great value and good grip in all weathers.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Stephster

I would have, but my back tyres are virtually skirting on the minimum legal and I daren't even go round corners fast. Booked in with blackcircles for tomorrow for £284 which was about £40 cheaper than anywhere else. Gonna then sell my front yokos on ebay so hopefully will make a bit of money back.

Stephster

All fitted.... only done 5 careful miles since but back is just more planted, and I don't seem to tramline on a particular stretch of road on the way back home where it happened before.

Was quite funny, bloke at the tyre place was not happy about putting in 26 psi front, and 36 psi back as manual said 31. BUT seeing as my husband had told him ( as he dropped off car ), he grudgingly did it. I think if I had requested it he wouldn't have.
Also, they kept saying "ooooh it's a soft tyre it won't last you long"...
I said, "yup, but it may well make me less likely to end up in a ditch."
Spent a happy few minutes explaining to owner of a 'prestige' wagon why he had a staggered setup, as he was confused by his front tyres being "skinnier" (sic) than the back. Added bonus was the lashings of free coffee  s:) :) s:) .

MisterK

Great Steph.  You won't regret it.  Take it easy for the first 500 miles to let the release agent wear off & then you'll be amazed by how grippy they are.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Wabbitkilla

It's really weird driving in new tyres aint it!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

2 of the left

Quote from: "MisterK"Great Steph.  You won't regret it.  Take it easy for the first 500 miles to let the release agent wear off & then you'll be amazed by how grippy they are.
I've always understood it to be 50 miles not 500!!!!

Wabbitkilla

Definitely a lot more than 50 piddly miles!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

Quote from: "2 of the left"
Quote from: "MisterK"Great Steph.  You won't regret it.  Take it easy for the first 500 miles to let the release agent wear off & then you'll be amazed by how grippy they are.
I've always understood it to be 50 miles not 500!!!!

T1R are notorious for taking a long time to start making proper grip. They are really greasy when new.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

2 of the left

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Definitely a lot more than 50 piddly miles!
Was told "50" by Tyre Fitters here in Hants - No wonder there are so many shunts here in Pompey!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: