End of My Ownership??

Started by AmeR, June 5, 2012, 19:24

AmeR

On my way back from Little Red Roadster's Peterborough bash (6 miles from there to be exact!!), my engine decided that a little bit more air, and a lot less oil would be nice and did this:

After seeking some advice from various sources, it is looking like a con rod may have tried to make a break for freedom and seeked refuge against the inside of the block wall. Have to say, it made an all mighty bang!!

I am fairly confident that I can rule out pressure being too much within the engine, as I would have only expected to see a single hole where it would have blown and equalised the pressure, thus removing the need for a second window to be added. However, I realise that without whipping the engine out and doing an autopsy that there is no definite answer yet!!

This leaves me in a hell of a predicament of whether to replace the engine for keepies / sale of the car, or strip it down to a 24k chassis and sell on everything that is on it to try and regain some spare change to move on in to the sunset with something relatively boring (or not!?)... Time to do the maths I think.

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to the following people:
- Michelle, Ian, and Nic for coming to stand with me at the side of the road and arrange recovery of my scrap heap, storage of said scrap heap, putting Kashia and myself up for another night, driving us 2 hours away to meet with my dad to get us home, and generally being so helpful that there aren't enough words!!!!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  
- Ian and Lynn (E) for returning back to LRR's to fetch them, and sticking around afterwards to help with diagnosis and comforting words!  s:) :) s:)
- Nathan for assisting with the diagnosis and ringing round to get me some details to think about
- Beka for sticking round to offer support
- Ste, PeteT, and everyone who has thrown in supporting words and offered advice
Once again goes to show what a superb bunch of friends that I have meet through this great forum!!!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Oh, and a shot of it stranded 200 miles away from home!!!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Anonymous

Gutted for you Paul but really hope you get it back on the road   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Harsh my friend, very sorry to read this.
 Looks like you are doing the right thing though in stepping back, thinking and considering your options.

Hope you can find an economical way forward.

Wabbitkilla

As i've already said to Kashia, i'm gutted for you mate. It just shows that even with all the dedication and care you take bad things can happen.

Your car is gorgeous and a huge credit to you and DEFINITELY worth saving. It is sensible to sit back and assess the situation and the way forward. We are all here to help, we are all happy to help when you're ready for it.

Sent from my LT15i using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

If I was in your position it would be not to give up you put to much effort in to give in now. I'm sure there might be a good engine going spare soon. Maybe even from a 2zz swap  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Either way I hope you can fix it. If it helps my old 1zz block would be good to go after a hone (think I spelt that wrong) yours for free it it helps you.

loadswine

Oh man!! I am totally gutted for you Paul, that is such a downer after getting it all up and running.  s:( :( s:(
Like Les said, I hope you get it sorted and if there is anything I can help with, albeit from a long distance, always happy to assist if I can.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Chris H

Gutted for you Paul.......was hoping for a trip over to see your "2" soon...
hope you are able to move forward with this after all your hard work...

steve-m-uk

As per my pm's, such rotten luck but any help you need, just shout  s:) :) s:)
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

uktotty

That really sucks mate, car looks sweet, so was this related to the funny noises we were listening to on the Sunday?

bigwillcv36

Gutted for you  s:-( :-( s:-(
I really hope you manage to figure something out and keep your car.
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

Anonymous

Really gutted for you,I wouldnt have thought a 24k engine would go this way.  s:( :( s:(

onion86

Oh no that's unlucky as hell, gutted after all the work you've put into it. Hope you feel the urge to get her up and working again, just think of it as something you can make better.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Sorry to hear the news mate. I feel for you.
Ive got a complete working engine and all ancills. You welcome to borrow it while you rebuild yours.

tez-MR2

Quote from: "dick2ski"Sorry to hear the news mate. I feel for you.
Ive got a complete working engine and all ancills. You welcome to borrow it while you rebuild yours.

Amazing offer!! well done D!ck   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Chris H

Quote from: "dick2ski"Sorry to hear the news mate. I feel for you.

Top man D!ck.........and all you fellow Roadster's.....never ceases to amaze me how
everyone rallies round to help with support.......Great Club...  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Sorry about the link mods, but might be a life saver.
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR-S-M ... 719wt_1344 m

E

As I said on the day Truly gutted Mate, but its fixable and surely worth doing on your lovely car after all the hard work youve put in to it. stand back and think about it, dont do anything rash and just give us a shout if you need any help.

FGrob

Wow - that's certinly one knackered engine, I feel for you Paul, it's such a shame after all that hard work.

If you like the car, I would sell the turbo and get yourself a newish engine and run N/A for a bit, at least then you can get the car running again and get a bit of enjoyment out of it.

Tough call I'm afraid.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Curlytoppz

s:( :( s:(   This is terrible news.  Really sorry for you.  Gorgeous car and such  sshit shit sshit e luck for this to happen.

E

A couple of amazing offers there from rbuckingham and D!ck2ski, could be an option to drop your engine replace it with D!cks and use Richards block to rebuild your engine and then swap back, Ive never dropped the engine from one of these cars but would be more than happy to help out if thats the way you decide to go.

StuC

Aw man, that sucks! I had been following your build thread leading up to Ding day and I was so pleased to read that you got everything done in time... then this  s:-( :-( s:-(

I hope that with the generous offers of material and labour you get to a solution soon.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Treboeth

Amer sorry to see this after all the work you just completed but as E says take up one of the generous offers and get yourself back up and running I know you love her too much to give up  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

PeteT

sarsehole arsehole sarsehole     s:( :( s:(  

Paul and Kashia(i know you've been involved with the car and build too), I am gutted and devastated for you. It is a stunning looking car and its just not fair with all the effort you have put into it.

Your doing the right thing. Take a couple of steps back, re-evaluate then make your decision.

I am off work for the next 2 weeks, If i can be of any help, even someone to bounce ideas of, just call.
Pete

Bekatee

Was an extremely sad day and still very gutted for you and K, especially after all the time, dedication and hard work i know you've put into your 2  s:( :( s:(  ...really really hope that you're able to go with an option that enables you to keep the car. It'd be devastating to see another red go... and such a stunning example at that  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

Anonymous

Oh god Amer! I am so sorry to hear about your loss!

I know you hardly know me! but I have really benefitted from your advice recently! So Thank you very much for that.

You have a lot to think about at the moment, but if there is anything I can help with then please let me know!

But if you do decide to move onto something new I hope you will stay as an active member on here.   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

I really do offer my full support! and hope as a forum we can provide some way to get round this!

Tags: