T400X Track Car Project underway...

Started by MattPerformance, August 15, 2012, 20:48

Lippy

awsome project! needs loads more pictures tbh!
Ex SP240 Owner, looking for another boosted '2

MattPerformance

After a bit of a false start we've now switched to a Syvecs S6 ECU (incorporating traction control and loads of additional safety features to protect the engine) with a conservative boost level... 20psi making 380bhp.  More to follow but we've been on track now and the car feels very good and, quite frankly, we need to hone our driving skills rather more before we need to worry about pushing the set-up much further!!

I've been so busy getting the car ready I've been a bit remiss taking and publishing photos.  Here are a few of how the car is looking just now (still a good few more mods to go and I'll get some photos up of the technical elements of the car in due course): [oh, and there's a cheeky little video at the bottom whilst the car was running in on the dyno which you might enjoy!]

[youtube:38a7sq8e]hhT1QLVai-I[/youtube:38a7sq8e]

Anonymous

Very nice ecu matt. Would of looked at one myself if I didn't have the emerald.

simers

Serious looking motor matt...
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

eynonz

Wow, what a beast   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  is that matt black?
*BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT* - Markiii Pipe - Longlife Exhaust System - "The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings" -  Unknown Brand Front Strut Brace - More to come \";)\"

MattPerformance

Simoniz satin black  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

StuC

Those are some serious flames!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

It's great to hear you have been able to get some track time  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

dcod

Love it. Black and lime green, my favourite colours   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

chris3boro

Looks mean!  s:D :D s:D

PaullyP2010

Awesome progress update - hats off to you both!  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

Star_69

Wow! Just been catching up on this thread. Looks and sounds like a proper beast. 380 at the wheels? Tamed it down for reliability? No way!.. I bet you both realised trying to hold on to those corbeau's with your anus was not a fun way to kill an afternoon  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

chris3boro

Quote from: "Star_69"Wow! Just been catching up on this thread. Looks and sounds like a proper beast. 380 at the wheels? Tamed it down for reliability? No way!.. I bet you both realised trying to hold on to those corbeau's with your anus was not a fun way to kill an afternoon  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  sounds fun to me! Give me that power and I'm happy to find out!

MattPerformance

Quote from: "Star_69"Tamed it down for reliability?

To be fair, it's currently 380 at the flywheel but the taming is only a temporary measure whilst we shake down the rest of the car.  There'll be a number starting with a 4 again before too long... possibly even 5!!!

Star_69

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "Star_69"Tamed it down for reliability?

To be fair, it's currently 380 at the flywheel but the taming is only a temporary measure whilst we shake down the rest of the car.  There'll be a number starting with a 4 again before too long... possibly even 5!!!

So in your "safe mode" you have roughly the same power to weight ratio as a 6.5l V12 Lamborghini Reventon? You are nuts!!!   s:D :D s:D
That's a crazy build. E153 box?
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

loadswine

Crazy, but excellent!  s:) :) s:)  I love it! Good to see that you've got the Syvecs on board now, plus, presumably one very well known, and skilled, mapper as well.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

MattPerformance

Indeed Nigel, Ryan did an excellent job.  As stated above, there's plenty more to come but it was an important step to get the car out with a sensible level of power to see how it (and its drivers!) performed.

We're running a stock gearbox with Jubu cryo'd 3rd/4th gearset.  Hoping to stick with the stock box in order to compete in the Toyota Sprint Series "road car" series.

steve b

Sensible move getting Ryan on board, only person I'd let map my cars.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Theburns1

Am I rite in reading that your not running a rear anti roll bar? If so, how come?

Thanks gaz

nathanMR2

Both Matt and Jason don't need antiroll bars  s;) ;) s;)  and its weight saving  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

I'm sure Matt will give you the correct answer  s:) :) s:)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

jonty

Matt told me the exhaust gets in the way, so there is no room for a rear bar.

In the states a lot of guys use high rear spring rates and no bar, and it's proven quicker against the stopwatch for autocross- I'm not so sure that proves it would translate as the idea situation for a full circuit, but given the clearance (or lack of) for T400X it's kind of imaterial!

MattPerformance

As Jonty said.
Although we've since changed the exhaust so a rear ARB could well fit now but I've had no reason to try since we're very happy with the car without (so far!)

Jrichards20

Sorry to be nosey. How much do you think roughly this whole project will cost you?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

dj2k21

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Sorry to be nosey. How much do you think roughly this whole project will cost you?

This is something that gets asked alot to me lol... and im sure matt is in the same boat... I stopped counting when I got to (decent deposit on a house) kind of money lol
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

MattPerformance

The best way to answer is to say, what would it cost if I brought my car to you and for you to build it to this spec, lock stock and barrel?
Answer: £35k-ish
In reality a lot more money than that has been spent in the evolution from basic T25 TTE turbo to this GT30 custom set-up (many thousands in mapping alone!!) not to mention component failures along the way (one MWR built e gibe was virtually scrapped and two cylinder heads have been scrapped en route - and rebuilding is a lot more work in such a modified engine bay).
Also in reality the recent works don't have a 'retail' labour rate attached to them so their actual costs are quite low.
Is it worth it???? We're probably only at 80% of the end result and the car is already insanely good. Once we get to 100% and assuming the car holds up to the hammering it receives on track then it will most definitely have been worth it!

steve b

Thing is its more R&D cost than any thing, you could build the car for a fraction of the cost if you get everything right 1st time.

The biggest expense is getting forged rods and pistons in and it all sealing correctly, I'd say an ARP bolted billet pump geared, forged engine could be done from a core for £4k, if you don't want the Syvecs a Link G4  is ok, get a good mapper like Ryan and you won't be having multiple mapping attempts £1.5k, PWR charge cooler custom pipes £1k, custom manifold & exhaust from Hayward & Scott £1.5k.  Deliver shell to Nickson Motorsport full weld in cage and seat mounts £1.2k, nice forged wheels £2k, suspension £1k, seats £600, harnesses £400.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Tags: