Screw in vent

Started by ZeroQI, September 28, 2012, 01:24

ZeroQI

Hi All, I need your collective or individual wisdom for that matter... Come on, i lost the reverse the reverse gear and documented as i could, please help me on that one...

There is a metallic noise in my vent system, sound like a screw moving with the car and it's driving me nuts.
I thought about a magnet attached to a string but nothing indicate the bugger is iron based...

What would be the easiest process to get rid of it ? I can control where it goes roughtly by turning...

Ben
Toyota MR-S 2003 SMT 6-Speed Sable (matching hardtop, alloys) Red fabric Seats

dj2k21

Is it in the central vents or one on the drivers or passenger side? I would remove the vents and have a look?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Gif

You could try expanding foam filler, that would stop it moving   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'm not aware of any significant number of metal screws used in cars that aren't made out of iron.  Most of Toyota's screws seem to rust away underneath, may be just waiting would do the job if the ones in the engine bay are anything to go by.

The only other trick I've seen (but it is by no means easy to get a result) is to get some thin bore plastic tubing, insert it into the end of the vaccum cleaner nozzle, seal it in there with duck tape so all the vacuum is forced through the tube then try to fish it out with that.
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

ZeroQI

@dj2k21: i have problems identifying, the screw seem to go from extreme right definitely to center or extreme left, difficult to tell, but it is rolling as if in a transversal cylinder, so the vents made sense to me.
@gif: will try magnet and i didn't thought about the hoover, thanks for that, didn't thought about it

Wabbitkilla

Hmmm ... I would expect it to be able to travel from one side of the car to the other.
If it were in the vents it would drop into the fan box when it got approximately half way across.

So it could be something else in the dash, there are a couple of braces that travel across the car inside the dash ... could be worth exploring if there's something rattling along them.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ZeroQI

After some search, it apears it is in the cavity below the screen wipers, which explain the metal on metal nose from one side to the other....
Will get it... and keep informed, in case somebody get the same

Tags: