Chipping or Turbo

Started by Anonymous, May 25, 2004, 09:08

Anonymous

im in too for a possible GB on the unichip although it would a bit of a trek getting it set-up as i live in the mids.

Q. can the unichip be transferred to another roadster with the same spec i.e. stock??

markiii

yesp, though in theory it would be better if it was re-mapped to get teh best out of engine variances.

but yes it would
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

was just wonderin as if i ever change my roadster for a newer one and could take my mods with it.

crankshaft

I'd be interested in a group buy too, but as someone mentioned before (mark I think) dastek are developing a pre-mapped unichip.

But surely for those of us who have say just changed to twin TTE exhausts, there must be others out there with the same 'known' mapping for that config, so would it be possible to simply duplicate these already mapped chips and save some money ??

I know that the ultimate would only be achieved for a individual mapping and dyno test, but am guessing that probably 80% could be achieved by duplicating one of these (or the average of many ?) already mapped cars ?

Crankshaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

Quote from: "crankshaft"I'd be interested in a group buy too, but as someone mentioned before (mark I think) dastek are developing a pre-mapped unichip.

anyone know when dastek are likely to release the chip? im guessing it will be a lot cheaper than the unichip as hours of rolling road tuninng aren't required

heathstimpson

Martin when you first had your Unichip mapped did your 2 have any other mods on it  s:?: :?: s:?:  I'm assuming with a H&S twin and air inlet we should be able to get higher power and torque potential from the stock engine  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

Martins only mod was an Apexi intake.

Dastek make teh Unichip so it's teh same thing.

I wouldn't be expecting anywhere near 22bhp from a pre-mapped ECU, and frankly when £450 buys the the unichip plus teh dyno time to map it to your individual car,

WHY would you bother, £450 for an ECU, piggyback or not is hardly expensive, is it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

Premapping is a silly idea. All engines are different, whether you like the idea of it or not. Ok, so Toyota have been extra conservative with their timings, but buying a pre-mapped ECU will also have be conservative to some degree. The point about the Unichip (note the chip is about £220, the rest is labour for fitting and mapping) is that it is mapped to *your* engine. A premapped one may be set to give a 15bhp increase.  Your engine maybe capable of 18, it maybe capable of 25, but without dyno time, you won't know.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

LeeUK

No, I have thought about this now.  The Unichip does the same as a Greedy pretty much on a NA car, Monkey wrench premap the for either the turbo or the NA engine. They only get 6 BHP from it usually, I wouldn't think you would get anymore from premapping it unless you were very lucky.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

filcee

I think I should retract my economics statement.
Martin's dyno curves ... and SteveJ's anecdotal evidence ... say it all. I think I should just keep my mouth shut - especially as our sensible car is turbocharged  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Chris

Having accompanied Steve for probably about half of the milage that weekend, then I can say that it certainly is a ferocious beast!

Shame it's just so damn expensive!!  I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the turbo (any news on release dates?), so that's why i've been looking at getting at least someway there for a fraction of the cost!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

If you can afford the time and money for a proper turbo, why would you even consider just a piggy-back unit.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Besides not having the funds (saving for a house), I for one am not comfortable bolting a turbo onto an aluminum motor.

At any rate...when is the GB gonna happen?

Tags: