Bought some new tyres

Started by uktotty, December 13, 2012, 12:59

K T M Rider

Quote from: "mrzwei"Based on just that info, which would you choose?

The budget option, in terms of economy you can expect 3 main benefits over the other tyres:

1) much cheaper to buy
2) lower rolling resistance, so better fuel economy
3) your car running costs might actually even fall to ZERO !!! (while you are recovering from the bad accident due to them probably being crap in the wet)

sensible answer (based just on that info) the dunlops, although I would probably want to seek out some tyre reviews before deciding.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

AckersMR2

IMO I want as much rolling resistance as possible, surely more resistance = more grip? if I wanted an A rating I wouldn't put a tyre on at all!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "AckersMR2"IMO I want as much rolling resistance as possible, surely more resistance = more grip? if I wanted an A rating I wouldn't put a tyre on at all!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Something along those lines yes ... as usual it's not that simple.
Rolling resistance doesn't indicate how stable the tyre is in a corner.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

mrzwei

Just thought I'd add my actual experience from today.

'I've got a slow puncture on that one but it's over half worn, three years old, and I'm travelling to Europe in the morning and I don't want to risk it, what's the deal on two new ones on the front?  Goes to check (I know these people well). 'Seventy quid a side for the same spec all in'.  'OK, I'll go for that!.'

So much for me being concerned about the new lables etc. which were ripped off before they fitted the tyres, I just bought on price.

What a hypocrite    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

K T M Rider

Quote from: "AckersMR2"IMO I want as much rolling resistance as possible, surely more resistance = more grip? if I wanted an A rating I wouldn't put a tyre on at all!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I see where you are coming from but  I remember reading how when Michelin developed  the first motorcycle radials, because the tyre carcass ran alot cooler, they could improve grip through using a softer compound - that would have overheated previously - and also get  twice the tyre life. In a nutshell, I would expect a Michelin low RR car tyre to still grip well and a high RR cheapo to use more fuel to generate more heat, with a harder compound that still wears out faster.

You get what you pay for etc.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

tomaky

Im gunna go for these on the back gunna order this wednesday pay day! Reluctant to drive atm the backs are on the cusp of the illegal bands between grooves.

m http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=1687 m
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

AckersMR2

Watching the new series of 5th gear, tiff tests tyres.
Continental Eco tyre £330
Matador Budget tyre £200
Part worn's £60
Test done on a Renault scenic, all in wet conditions, while the continentals preformed best in emergency lane change and high speed corner they were the worst at stopping distance, 8m later than the matadors and 13m later than the part worn! (Although 2 of them were winter tyres)

So clearly any of the new "blue" models of car may save you a few £ on your road tax and give you a bit more mpg but it might cost your no claims bonus?
My only car is a Ducati 

Tags: