How To Wiring Install

Started by Anonymous, March 4, 2013, 22:17

Anonymous

Hi

A very quick guide on how to install new component speakers. Do not think i am an expert, i am only writing up how i installed my own speakers. I hope everyone else can help me contribute to this thread, when someone writes a question on the information below.

Please feel free to ask questions, and someone here will get back to you shortly!

Below is a description on how to install new component speakers.

Start off by taking off the door cards -
[centre:20tvr578]Open each door, you will see a small plastic circle on the top, inside of the card, pop it off with a flat-head screw driver and you will find a screw - take that out.
With the same flat head screwdriver, pop off the plastic where the silver bar/handle meets the door. you will find another screw here.
with the same screwdriver pop off the cap in the "pull to release door handle" another screw there. Another screw..
Pull off the arm wrest, the bit where all the bubbles are. just a good tug will get it off, another screw there.

Starting from the bottom of the door card, get your fingers under it and give it a gentle but firm tug, so the poppers come out and you can release the door card from the door. be careful of the pull to release handle, you will need to twist this to get the card off.[/centre:20tvr578]

Now you should be left with an ugly door!

Unplug the speaker at the terminal.

Unscrew the screws around the stock speaker, easy peasy! do the same for the tweeter.

Once everythings out... this is where the fun begins!!!

Here is the how to run a speaker wiring. THIS IS ONLY NEEDED IF YOUR RUNNING THE NEW SPEAKERS INTO AN AMP.

m http://www.midshiprunabout.org/mk3/the- ... -the-door/ m

Listen, its a bloody nightmare! Best bet is to get a metal coat hanger, bend one end over and use a crimping tool to create a u shaped loop. then crimp it so its against the rest of the coat hanger... you need to make it as easy as possible to push through! It takes a LOT of effort to push it through and its just a matter of patience.

Now watch my video to see where the wiring goes;

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvBnsb1iO5w m

Then run a phono lead to your amp, and wire the amp up as required.

The wire that is in your door will need to be run to the cross over, then a separate wire will need to be run from the crossover to the main woofer and tweeter.

Now you will need to build a speaker mount now; if you bought the Focal Access A1 6.5" then dont use the template as it didnt fit! the screw holes were in the wrong place, the wood failed on the plastic... and it took a lot of trimming to get to a correct shape.

The tweeters are easy to fit, just need to file away a bit of the plastic in order to get them to fit in the plastic! dont forget to fit the cog like wheel behind the plastic to stop if falling out/moving around.

Once you have made the mount, screw the speaker in and then screw then attach the wires to the speaker using crimps. Make sure when you wire it into the crossover you get the wires around the RIGHT WAY!

Obviously run the wire from the tweeters to the crossover as required. Its best to put the crossover in the gap in in the door card, above the pathetic foam sound deadening.

So by this point, you should have removed both door cards, removed the stock speakers and tweeters, run a new speaker wire through the grommets and to the correct position for the amp. Wired the amp, including running phono leads from the head unit and a power from the battery. The new speakers should be in your home made speaker mounts, tweeters installed in the door cards, AND wires are run from both the tweeters and speakers into the crossover.

Crimp the ends of the speaker wires that are in the doors and connect to the crossover using crimps in the correct ports.

Now all you need to do is put the door cards back on the car and it SHOULD all work!!!!!

Lurch

Thanks mate, will order the same speakers and get some deadning material. Not going to fit amp, just swap over speakers, even that must be better than stock.least I now know how to remove door card without to much damage. My mr2 is as brand new with now done 7k miles so don't want to pull about to much. Thanks for all your help.
Phil
LURCH

Flipside

For an easier method to run cables from your amp to your door, run the cables from the amp to behind your stereo, find the existing speaker wires going to the doors, cut them then join the wires from the amp.   No need to have all that hassle of trying to feed wires through the door grommet.

People may say the stock wires aren't good enough,  they are for running components in the door.  

I've always done it and always had no problems.  

Then in the door find the speaker cables coming in cut and connect to your crossover, then to your speakers!

Hope that helps!
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

Tags: