Heavily scratches paintwork...what now?

Started by shnazzle, March 29, 2013, 22:50

tomaky

I been looking into this big time recently, the halfords polisher hmm i wouldnt get it ive found a dual action for £75 sort of one you dont really have to upgrade, not sure if you can change the backing plate on it, if you cant then your limited to 1 size pad.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

shnazzle

Quote from: "tomaky"I been looking into this big time recently, the halfords polisher hmm i wouldnt get it ive found a dual action for £75 sort of one you dont really have to upgrade, not sure if you can change the backing plate on it, if you cant then your limited to 1 size pad.

I've given up on this actually. I reckon I can do a decent job with G3 or similar first. Then I can take it to my mates, which would cost the same as the machine without any of the quality products he uses. It's not something I'll be doing often so while getting a polisher and everything would save me cash in the long run...I'm not THAT previous. In 2 years time I'm happy to spend another 100 getting it polished again.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

I just tried the G3 scratch remover on my bonnet and a bit on the back. It seems to work!!

Don't have time tonight to do the whole car, but just wanted to see what happened.

A) the light scratches are indeed coming out and the paint feels much smoother. Still scratches, but minimal. The massive scratches caused by what was probably T-Cut or the like, go away.

B) The applicator pad was BLACK...eek! Takes a fair bit of paint off then.

C) Combined with the CodeClean it makes for a good looking 52 plate.

I'll have to sort the rest of the car out and get the 3rd stage G3 stuff as well to get that polish in.
...neutiquam erro.

nathanMR2

If the pads black make sure you don't get rubbing too hard when you do the rest of the car.

I use a orbital polisher and cutting compound and the pad doesn't become black so be careful
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

tomaky

Strongly advise watching all the videos above as irritating as the guy is he talks utter sense! Well worth watching ill be watching them all again in june when i will have all the kit to carry it out.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Two's Company

Is the black paint single stage without clearcoat?  That is the only way you could be polishing paint off by hand.  If there is clearcoat then you are probably rubbing off 10 years of dirt rather than paint.

shnazzle

I've just done a G3 stage 2 (scratch removal) and stage 3 (paint restorer) on the bonnet and front wing panels.
Felt good and looked a lot better under the LED light. See what it looks like tomorrow before I do the rest of the car.

Sooooo many stone chips. It's really horrid. Straight down to the primer/base level.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Getting there. Pre-wax
...neutiquam erro.

Richard41

that looks great! and a huge improvement, mine will be getting the G3 treatment soon.

shnazzle

Quote from: "Richard41"that looks great! and a huge improvement, mine will be getting the G3 treatment soon.

Thanks!
Quite pleased with it myself.
Looks even better now with some wax.

Was going to do the back as well today but my applicator pad needed a clean. Too much paint residue

Tomorrow I'll do back. Then Monday night left side. Tuesday night; right  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Richard41

Just ordered all the bits on amazon, a bit cheaper than halfrauds, will be interesting to see what sort of job it does on the bits that wern't resprayed.

shnazzle

Just got a very good quote for a full respray!

1000 all in, which includes:

- strip everything off the panels, and the panels themselves
- blast back to metal
- fill, prime, paint all that jazz
- acid dip the alloys, sandblast, repair and powder coat
- strip and paint callipers and carriers

My only thought: is this 112k car worth it?
Going to have my preferred tuning house have a deep look at it, see if it'll still go another 50k. If yes....respray!

What colour?  s:) :) s:)  I'm thinking pearl
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Is that mates rates?

Because im interested lol

tomaky

Nice
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

shnazzle

Quote from: "dj vinxy"Is that mates rates?

Because I'm interested .

Nope. North East rates  s:) :) s:)

Older ex-Rolls Royce-trained dude who owns all his property and house, so he just charges 28.50 an hour for his own wages.

Unconfirmed, and it's not a "pro" shop as one would say. But his work looks good. He showed me some yesterday.

m http://www.paintnplace.co.uk/ m
...neutiquam erro.

tomaky

Seems like a deal to me!
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

shnazzle

Quote from: "tomaky"Seems like a deal to me!

Definitely!

Just need to see if the car is worth it.

Small "impurities" I can live with. Like having to replace the callipers at some point.

But if I've got oval bore and pre-cat issues...not worth it.
...neutiquam erro.

trickyD

Worst case that's a new facelift engine, which will cost a few hundred quid.
I don't have a problem sending money on a car getting it back to top condition, especially a "rare" sportscar one day to achieve classic status.

If you spend a grand on the exterior, it's always going to be worth say £500 more come resale time. Though I admit the miles may put some off. But if you intend to keep for 10 years (as I do), then it's money in the bank  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

shnazzle

Quote from: "trickyD"Worst case that's a new facelift engine, which will cost a few hundred quid.
I don't have a problem sending money on a car getting it back to top condition, especially a "rare" sportscar one day to achieve classic status.

If you spend a grand on the exterior, it's always going to be worth say £500 more come resale time. Though I admit the miles may put some off. But if you intend to keep for 10 years (as I do), then it's money in the bank  s:) :) s:)

You make a fair point. But as you said...the miles.
The only way I could convince someone to take on a car with 130-140k miles is if I get the engine revised and make sure the frames/bushes/arms/ subframes are all in good condition.
Luckily my rear subframe had already been replaced so that'll last another 80-90k easy
...neutiquam erro.

Richard41

QuoteMy only thought: is this 112k car worth it?

Had mine done last year, nearly 90k and cost me £800 to have most of the panels resprayed, dints etc removed and wheels done, that was mates rates but it was like getting a new car back and worth every penny IMO   s:D :D s:D

trickyD

I spent a grand years ago respraying a 944. I bought the car for £1800 and sold it for £4k
So you can (sometimes) make on a car. Appearance counts for a lot..

Bits for sale!

shnazzle

Quote from: "trickyD"I spent a grand years ago respraying a 944. I bought the car for £1800 and sold it for £4k
So you can (sometimes) make on a car. Appearance counts for a lot..

Wow. Not often you hear of people making money off cars. And not just a bit either.

If I spent 1000 getting it sprayed, id have to get 3500 for it at least if I exclude costs of brakes and tyres. Never going to happen  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

trickyD

Yeah it was a one off for sure and I forgot to say I had a folder of bills for 2k :/

It has to be about the love and restoration really, anything else is just a folly

Bits for sale!

shnazzle

Quote from: "trickyD"Yeah it was a one off for sure and I forgot to say I had a folder of bills for 2k :/

It has to be about the love and restoration really, anything else is just a folly

Ah right.
Well it's looking a bit rough at the moment with regards to the engine health, but we'll see where this next tank of gas and oil top-up takes me.

If she holds it well, I'll think about that paint job again
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: