16 or 17" wheels?

Started by Paul-B, May 3, 2013, 11:02

Paul-B

I'd really like to fit some different wheels to my PFL when I next need to change the tyres, something which will fill the arches a bit more. There seem to be more choices if I go down the 17" route, but a couple of people have told me that 17" wheels on  my MR2 will be bad for the handling. I'd really appreciate it if some of you people could give me your views. Mine's a Chilli-Red car, and I quite like the look of shiny black wheels with a polished chrome or alloy rim, I have some 18" ones on my Celica and they look really good.

All opinions welcome, and some guidance as to tyre sizes/stagger would also be appreciated.

AmeR

Plenty of info around on the forum on this. Plenty of members have 17" wheels on their 2s without issue. It all depends on your choice of wheel, offset, tyre, etc

Wheels thread
Tyres review thread
Stock wheel / Tyre sizes
Existing 17" wheel thread

I'd check out the garage too for some more pics   s:D :D s:D

Paul-B

Many thanks for the links. I did a search before posting but there is so much on here it's difficult to pin down specifics.

Bernie

I'd suggest Rota GT3 as if you are going to a larger wheel the Rota's are a lightweight wheel at the least check out the weights as well as more weight will reduce performance
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Paul-B

Yes, the Rota GT3 are high on my list, either all polished silver or gloss black with a polished rim... not sure what would suit my Chilli-Red car, but the black/polish combo look great on my Silver Celica. I like the Rota Grid Drift, too, but it looks as if they aren't available for the MR2

AmeR

I've got Rota Grids on mine in grey with a polished lip, and Wabbitkilla has a similar set too, both 16/17 on a red 2.  s:) :) s:)

*edit*

Wabbitkilla

16" all round for me, 195x40/16 tyres front, 225x40/16 tyres on back.

Previously I had 17" rims in the back with 215x40/17 tyres. The wheels weighed the same, had a different offset, the handling and performance of the car is superior with the 16" rims. 17" is a bit oversized and you will regret it unless you have a turbo fitted Luke Amer.

As you can see with the right wheel finish they can look very special even with "just" 16 inch rims  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Paul-B

Very, very nice... that does it for me, Rotas it is, black and polished rims. Thanks, guys, the cars look great  s:) :) s:)

ayresyboy

Rota Grids on mine

Front wheels: 15 x 6.5J +40
Front tyres: 195/50/15
Rear wheels: 16 x 7J +40
Rear tyres: 225/45/16

What are the 16 inch Rota's on the front like for clearance from the caliper?  My 15's only just clear!

I assume you guys are running +40 offsets as well?

SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

Wabbitkilla

Sorry, I should have said, 16J7 ET40 all round.
Plenty of space around the front callipers   s:) :) s:)
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

ayresyboy

that's strange.  how would a 15 inch be different to a 16 inch for caliper clearance when same offset?  mine is a mr-s, but even so, that shouldn't make a difference either.

Wabbitkilla

Plenty ... Is subjective, there's enough room to get a cloth between the spokes and the calliper but not much more. As long as there is clearance, that's what is important? To be honest I hadn't really thought of it until you brought it up. Definitely more space back there than on Russ's (uktotty) wheels.

ayresyboy

i'd be lucky if i had 1mm clearance!

Bekatee

As soon as i bought my 2 i fitted aftermarket 17s all round (before i even got behind the wheel)... in hindsight, don't think think was the best plan for handling   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ...especially now that i've had a drive in 2s on 16s and 15/16 (if i remember correctly...) and after having spoken to other owners, I now realise the difference wheel sizes make. However, i'm no expert on wheels  s:? :? s:?  

I did love the look of my 17s though   s:D :D s:D
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

nathanMR2

Ive got 16's on both front and rear. I havent noticed any real different on the handling compared to my 15 front and 16 rear setup I previous had. That said I have complimented the wheels with some very sticky staggered tyres.

I think loadswine will be able to confirm that if certainly goes around the bends quickly enough.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "ayresyboy"i'd be lucky if i had 1mm clearance!

around 3mm clearance close to the hub, they're a nice fit imho   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

loadswine

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Ive got 16's on both front and rear. I havent noticed any real different on the handling compared to my 15 front and 16 rear setup I previous had. That said I have complimented the wheels with some very sticky staggered tyres.

I think loadswine will be able to confirm that if certainly goes around the bends quickly enough.

Erm, yes , it certainly does!!   s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

petej

I have Grids in 16/17. Tramlines a bit on roads punished by HGV's but overall runs fine.

Middle age syndrome is upon me!!  295hp 3.4l Porsche 987s is the new bigger boys toy.

swandez

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"

16" all round for me, 195x40/16 tyres front, 225x40/16 tyres on back.

Previously I had 17" rims in the back with 215x40/17 tyres. The wheels weighed the same, had a different offset, the handling and performance of the car is superior with the 16" rims. 17" is a bit oversized and you will regret it unless you have a turbo fitted Luke Amer.

As you can see with the right wheel finish they can look very special even with "just" 16 inch rims  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Hi great looking car, do you have lowering springs fitted or coilovers in these pictures? Just trying to get a rough idea of ride height on 16" wheels?

Cheers

Essex2Visuvesi

I have 17s on mine and I don't like them
The rounds round here are pretty poor and having driven a car on standard wheels I prefer the feel of the 15s so I will be going back to stock

cabbydave

Have a look on facebook Lotuse sale or want page theres always someone selling S2 Toyota engined Elise wheels that are 16 fronts and 17 rear and staggered. Factory Toyota engined Elise wheels bolt straight on to the roadster

Tags: