MR2Jay's MK3 Rebuild Project - Springs Finished

Started by MR2Jay13, July 22, 2013, 22:29

MR2Jay13

Cheers Nic  s:) :) s:)

Got some clamps here knocking about, it's just the grease I'll need. The boot is in great shape so I'll cut off the old ring, pack the joint and re-clamp it on once I am at the rebuild stage. Just annoying really.

Finger's crossed for JAE - certainly doing my best to get them both there with us  s:) :) s:)
Car 1 - 1993 Revision 3 MR2 GT-S Turbo
Car 2 - 2000 Audi A4 Avant
Car 3 - 2000 Roadster (Project Car)

MR2Jay13

Targets for tonight

29/08 Thursday

Remove struts - DONE
Cut off remainder of drop links - DONE
Replace rear springs - DONE
Drain oil and coolant - DONE
Strip passenger side of engine bay - DONE

Yet another fantastic evenings work - I am 100% on schedule   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Started by stripping back the passenger side engine bay and draining the engine of coolant. Nice and easy as it turns out - no bolts proving to be difficult tonight.   s8) 8) s8)  

I also took some advice from Trev and cracked off all the bolts around the gearbox prior to the drop. I even found the nasty to get to ones hiding around the rear of the box  s;) ;) s;)

The only thing left to do on that side side (other than undo the engine mount) is remove the loom from the ECU and feed it back through into the engine bay   s8) 8) s8)  

I then moved onto something unheard of - I put something back together  s;) ;) s;)  While all the bottom rods are off and the strut was only held on by the top mount, it seemed the perfect time to replace the springs. So the nice, new Tein S-Tech springs are now fitted to the rear shocks and I have also fitted new drop links ready to go back on   s8) 8) s8)  

On to tomorrow   s:D :D s:D   I have the afternoon off so plan to have the engine sat on the 3 mounts (one is on the subframe) ready for it to hit the deck first thing Saturday morning - Then it is on to rebuilding the back end   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

trevsmr2

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
Quote from: "MR2Jay"I also took some advice from Trev and cracked off all the bolts around the gearbox prior to the drop. I even found the nasty to get to ones hiding around the rear of the box  s;) ;) s;)

Starter motor one is worse

Quote from: "MR2Jay"The only thing left to do on that side side (other than undo the engine mount) is remove the loom from the ECU and feed it back through into the engine bay :th:

Have a look at the plate holding the ecu in ,its a funny type of bolt ,i managed to use pliers on one of mine ,then bend it out of the way ,obviously you dont want to be doing that

Quote from: "MR2Jay"So the nice, new Tein S-Tech springs are now fitted to the rear shocks and I have also fitted new drop links ready to go back on :th:

Make sure the top plates are slotted into the groove on the shock ,or the shocks will work loose and knock

MR2Jay13

Shall I copy my response here as well Bud?  s;) ;) s;)

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up  s:D :D s:D

trevsmr2

Quote from: "MR2Jay13"Shall I copy my response here as well Bud?  s;) ;) s;)

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up  s:D :D s:D
Just thought that not all owners,are members of  both clubs

MR2Jay13

Very true  s:) :) s:)

Seeing where the starter is - I can only pray one doesn't fail on me  s:( :( s:(  That would be a nightmare

Thanks for the heads up on the ECU - that is job number 1 for tomorrow so good to know there might be a snag there

Found the slot on the top mount/shock - far better design than the MK2 - All seated perfectly, obviously I'll tighten them when it is back on the deck

MR2Jay13

Shopping for today done  s:) :) s:)  

It's pointless getting this engine in without fluids to keep it cool, keep it smooth and help change gear  s;) ;) s;)  

So, an order in to Opie Oils have got me 5 litres of 5w40 Fuchs oil, 2 litres of Redline MT-90 gearbox fluid and coolant for her.

Also ordered one of those tools for crimping CV boot clamps.

Got the afternoon off today to hit it hard so hopefully the engine will be sat on 2 engine mounts and nothing else by the end of the day ready to drop tomorrow and lift the new one into place  s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

Don't forget your wiring harness (I'm sure you haven't but you've not mentioned it).
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

MR2Jay13

Is that the one through the bulkhead to the ECU Nic?

That's my first job for this afternoon. The new engine has it all in place ready to feed through but I still want to remove this one properly.

Before I drop the engine, I'll be going all around it 2 or 3 times just to make sure it really is just held on by the mounts  s:) :) s:)

Wabbitkilla

Yeah, it's actually easier to release it from the ecu and push it through the bulkhead, then release all the earth points from the bodywork in the engine bay. Then there's the big feed into the engine bay fusebox and numerous clips and plugs. You can then drop the engine with it all attached.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

MR2Jay13

Actually, that helps a lot - gives me a better idea where to follow for the connections  s:) :) s:)  

Tracing a loom can be a nightmare

Wabbitkilla

The ecu plugs are bottom left accidentally covered.
There are two plugs on the ecu, and two that plug into the bodywork harness next to the passenger inertia reel hidden under the platic of the passenger side cubby.
Then you can push the harness grommet and wiring into the engine bay.

MR2Jay13

Excellent  s:) :) s:)  

That helps a lot. Thanks Nic  s:D :D s:D

MR2Jay13

Job done   s8) 8) s8)  

What a strange afternoon. The engine is now sat on the 2 mounts. There is still the A/C lines to disconnect and one coolant line from the back of the engine but it is pretty much ready to go.

Getting the loom out was a bit epic as the MK3 has a plate over the ECU held on by 2 Torx Security Pro screws......They were no match for Mr Dremel though  s;) ;) s;)  2 slots cut in the top has effectively turned them into flat head screws  s;) ;) s;)

That alone wasn't without drama. Dug out the Dremel, got it set up, switched it on and....nothing. Had to fly out and go and buy one in the rush hour traffic so lost a load of time there ....

Still, Pretty pleased with the progress   s8) 8) s8)  

MR2Jay13

What an EPIC day!!!!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

First off, before I go ANY further, I have to give a HUGE thanks to TrevsMR2, TLF (MR2OC) and Chaos19810 (MR2OC) for your help today guys - it is massively appreciated    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Started the day with an apprehensive mood, much as I do every time I start the final drop on an engine. Erin was busy feeding the troops bacon sarnies (thanks Sweetheart) and the final push to get this engine out began.

The final few hoses were taken off and down she went   s:D :D s:D  

Success - we got it out without any severed limbs  s;) ;) s;)

That is when the cause of the engine failure became clear. Needless to say, I won't be rebuilding after I found this  s:( :( s:(

Now I know where those big end caps came from....

So, we set about swapping over the various hoses etc and the gearbox onto the new engine.

Once completed, the mammoth task of getting the engine and gearbox into the car. With the car straddling the gravel and the hardstanding, this made life a bit difficult but with a bit of perseverance, in it went   s:D :D s:D  

Most of the engine is now plumbed it (all the engine connections on the loom, all 4 engine mounts, the slave cylinder for the clutch, all the coolant lines - you get the idea). I just need to get 3 new exhaust manifold studs and refit the exhaust, refit the driveshafts, rebuild the rear suspension and brakes, charge the battery, fit the loom to the ECU, fill her with fluids and HOPEFULLY we are off.

One thing that is quite confusing is on the rear subframe. 3 bolts go in no problem at all, 1 goes so far and locks tight. Now I am going to have another look at this once I have had a rest, probably tomorrow but all 4 came out fine.

Very confusing

Good news is though, we got FAR more done today than expected and JAE is looking VERY likely   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Topdownman

Very impressive, I think I've had a good day when I manage to paint all 4 calipers!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MR2Jay13

Hehe, thanks mate  s:) :) s:)

I always knew this one was going to be a mission and when I set the target of getting it back on the road from what was effectively a scrap car for parts before JAE, I knew I had to pull my finger out.

With any luck, provided the last few parts and the fluids arrive in time, It should be back together, on the deck and starting up by the middle of next week  s:) :) s:)

MR2Jay13

Well, that's strange....

Just went out to the car to tackle this subframe issue which was really bugging me...

Took all the bolts out and fitted the problem one first.... Went straight in no problem. Odd but Ok. Was thinking maybe something was out of kilter so worked around the subframe and the last three were fine....

Don't get it. Glad it's now tight, don't get me wrong but would love to know why

dori dori

happy days jay looks like old sump taken bit of a battering to from the few small dints
"You spin me right round baby"

MR2Jay13

That engine is toast  s:( :( s:(

Out of curiosity we decided to get the sump off....

What a mess in there  s:( :( s:(

MR2Jay13

Didn't think I would reach this point - I am pretty much at a point where I am waiting on parts to complete   s8) 8) s8)  

I am still waiting on the CV boot tool and ring to finish the passenger side drive shaft, 3 studs (the 3 amigos) to fit the exhaust to the manifold and the crush gaskets to suit, fluids (gearbox oil and engine oil) and the passenger side caliper bracket after I sheared off one of the bolts   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

The topside of the engine I want to finish once it is back on the deck as I am not overly happy about crawling around the cabin while it is in the air and it will be so much easier to fix the last few bits on the top of the engine when it is lower   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So I decided I would tackle rebuilding the driver's side. Now the subframe is properly fixed, it means that the lower arms are safe to attach to the hub. So once I have fixed the rebuild strut (including the new spring) I refitted the drive shaft and hub. I also took this chance to fit the second CHE adjustable arm meaning I now have a matching pair on there. Refixed all the arms to the hub and fitted the ARB to the new drop link. I then fed the ABS sensor wire back through the body and plugged that in and rebuilt the brakes.

Finally, I fixed the wheel into position as that is that side completed   s8) 8) s8)  

Just waiting on silly little parts now to get her on the deck   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

This is so close I can taste it now   s8) 8) s8)  

MR2Jay13

Right, I need to take a step back and sort out a list of jobs left to do. It's been so manic over the past couple of days, I need to take stock.   s:) :) s:)  

[strike:2ytsroa5]1. Refill Gearbox (MT-90 Fluid on order)
2. Refit passenger driveshaft (CV Boot clamp tool on order)
3. Rebuild passenger side suspension/hub assembly
4. Refit passenger side brakes (Caliper Bracket on order)
5. Refit passenger side wheel[/strike:2ytsroa5]
6. Refit Cat to Manifold Studs (New studs on order)
[strike:2ytsroa5]7. Replace Exhaust pipe (Gaskets on order)
8. Refit Heat shields on rear[/strike:2ytsroa5]
9. Refit Under trays
10. Lower Car to floor
[strike:2ytsroa5]11. Refit engine loom to ECU and connect
12. Replace ECU Plate
13. Rebuild cubby boxes
14. Refit Air box and inlet pipework
15. Refit Battery Tray
16. Charge Battery
17. Replace engine oil
18. Top up and bleed coolant system
19. Replace rear crash bar
20. Refit Rear bumper/lights/number plate
21. Replace battery[/strike:2ytsroa5]

And then it is the moment of truth - will she fire up......

Actually, that looks like a MASSIVE list of jobs but there is nothing there that isn't quite simple and should be done pretty quickly   s8) 8) s8)  

Fingers crossed for the virgin fire up this week   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  All being good there, I can replace the front springs, get her insured and taxed and get her in for a full laser alignment. It's then ready for JAE   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

MR2Jay13

So deliveries for today have all arrived  s8) 8) s8)

I have the grease, clamp and the CV boot pliers for refit the passenger side drive shift and the fluids have arrived from Opie Oils.

Plan for tonight is to get the drive shaft on and suspension rebuilt. I can then refill the gearbox  s:) :) s:)

Hopefully I'll get more packages tomorrow to rebuild the brakes, get the last wheel on and fit the exhaust. I can then put the under tray back on and drop her to the floor again  s8) 8) s8)

chris3boro

s:D :D s:D

MR2Jay13

Getting good at this   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

All the jobs on tonight's list ticked off....

Started by refitting the cv boot. I packed it full of CV Joint grease and refitted the boot. This was then sealed using the correct ring

I then moved on to rebuild all of the passenger side suspension and tightened the adjustable arm I fitted previously. I am going to have to get it set up properly but at least it isn't going to fall apart on me now

Just waiting on the caliper bracket and I can refit the brakes and fix the wheel in position. It can safely drop on the deck then

Last job for tonight was to fill the gearbox. Heard that Redline MT-90 was the best for the job so why scrimp? Box now full   s8) 8) s8)  

Hopefully the parts to finish the exhaust and the brakes will arrive tomorrow   s:) :) s:)  

So, to recap....

Jobs 1, 2 and 3 ticked off the list   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Tags: