What to do next.?

Started by Flipside, August 6, 2013, 17:44

Flipside

Hi all

I have completed a few mods and was wondering what to do next, I would love to turbo it but really can't justify the cost, so what else could I do to gain a few more horses?  So far

Cobra exhaust
Toyo manifold
K&n induction kit
Unichip

Also front and rear strut braces to help with handling?

My 2 is an smt, so any ideas please let me know?
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

Hockley

Spark plugs?

Flipside

Yeah that's an idea, do they make much of a difference?
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

AndyM

Have you had the unichip properly mapped to make the most of the things you've done already? Perhaps get a map for high octane fuel and then only use that for a couple more ponies?

Other than that I think you're into things like throttle bodies and internals to get more from it.

On the handling front how about lowering, ARBs and a mid-brace?

Re: Spark plugs. As far as I know its pretty debatable if they have any effect at all other than longer life.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Flipside

Not been mapped to my car but came from a car with very similar mods, but defo worth doing.  Wanted to wait until I don't everything I can to save money.

What can I do to the throttle body?

Also will a sports cat make much diff.?

mrzwei

If you're brave, there's a modification to the throttle which reduces the automatic clutch slip when accelerating and so makes changing up a tad quicker.
Devised on Spyderchat but I think others on here have done it.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Flipside

Quote from: "mrzwei"If you're brave, there's a modification to the throttle which reduces the automatic clutch slip when accelerating and so makes changing up a tad quicker.

Sounds interesting, is it an smt thing?  Ill take a look on spyder chat   Thanks

AndyM

Quote from: "Flipside"What can I do to the throttle body?

I'm not an expert but I think you can get it widened to increase airflow. I think Wabbitkilla and E have done it (probably others too) but I may be wrong.

Quote from: "Flipside"Also will a sports cat make much diff.?
It'll definitely make it louder.  s:D :D s:D  Should give a power improvement too when mapped.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Anonymous

More power on an na? Well I have been here and I had 184bhp at na level and to be honest without engine work there not much else you can do. I know turbo's cost a fair chunk but my na figure was made with a bored and cams with all forge Internals and to get all that done will cost twice the amount of a turbo kit and more. If i was in your postition and wanted more BHP then the top secret turbo kit in the sales section is the way i would go as it about the best you could buy and its cheap for what it is. Other than that a mid brace a map the ecu to get a couple more BHP and that will be it. As for the cat it will knock back some of the torque and spark plugs won't make a difference anywhere but your wallet.

mrzwei

Quote from: "Flipside"
Quote from: "mrzwei"If you're brave, there's a modification to the throttle which reduces the automatic clutch slip when accelerating and so makes changing up a tad quicker.

Sounds interesting, is it an smt thing?  Ill take a look on spyder chat   Thanks

I think this is the link you need but haven't read through it.
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... erformance m
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Flipside

Quote from: "rbuckingham"More power on an na? Well I have been here and I had 184bhp at na level and to be honest without engine work there not much else you can do. I know turbo's cost a fair chunk but my na figure was made with a bored and cams with all forge Internals and to get all that done will cost twice the amount of a turbo kit and more. If i was in your postition and wanted more BHP then the top secret turbo kit in the sales section is the way i would go as it about the best you could buy and its cheap for what it is. Other than that a mid brace a map the ecu to get a couple more BHP and that will be it. As for the cat it will knock back some of the torque and spark plugs won't make a difference anywhere but your wallet.

Can't find it in the sales section or search, have you got a link

Cheers

AmeR

Perhaps try the Performance Mods for 1ZZ NA sticky at the top of this section to give you a few ideas of what others have used and the outputs gained

Also, loadswine is selling the car and Turbo complete in Vehicle Sales now rather than break it up. Great package but I don't think a change of car is quite the mod you were thinking of!?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Well by what amer said it looks like loadswine is not selling on the kit on its own now but it was up.

OldMan

Quote from: "Flipside"I have completed a few mods and was wondering what to do next, I would love to turbo it but really can't justify the cost, so what else could I do to gain a few more horses?  So far

Cobra exhaust
Toyo manifold
K&n induction kit
Unichip

Also front and rear strut braces to help with handling?

My 2 is an smt, so any ideas please let me know?
You've got a bad case of "moditis"!
Why not just drive the car?

Some SMT owners find this mod enjoyable:
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?19863-How-to-make-your-smt-shift-faster
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

Flipside

[/quote]
You've got a bad case of "moditis"!
I blame this forum haha

Why not just drive the car?

Never thought about driving it, that's a good idea!

dj2k21

Woth a standard car if your not looking to spend turbo money then all I can suggest is handling and brakes, there are reasons that lotus elises and exiges run rings round cars with 3 times there power  s:) :) s:)

I say the following

Front and rear strut braces

Body brace underneath

Uprated anti roll bars

Decent adjustable coilovers (only have personal experience of tein and bc, both of which are awesome)

Carbotech brake pads (work well with standard discs)

Braided brake lines (give an improved peddle feel under braking)

Full fluid flush on brakes (often overlooked by many but in my opinion is one of cheapest and best ways to improve braking)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Flipside

Done the front and rear strut braces, might look at the chassis brace Matt is doing,

Defo looking at suspension,

So will look to those next.  

Thanks

Tags: