Are these focals ok

Started by Paulm280885, October 25, 2013, 22:10

Paulm280885

Hey guys would these focals be ok for my 2 ?  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-PS165-P ... 0799739268 m

BranM

If your set on Focal speakers then yes these are very good and a little better than the A1's.

Paulm280885

What speakers would you recommend?  just said focals cus that seems to be the norm on here

BranM

It all depends on your budget. The Focal PS you linked are very good for the money but as with anything there is always something better.

If you have the budget then have a look at some of the Hertz HSK's, CDT HD's or even some of the Rainbow soundline series.

BranM

Just remember to sound deaden your doors with any of the speakers you buy to get the best out of them

Paulm280885

Yeah looking at the dynamat xtreme door kit is it worth sound deadening the the floor and rear bins etc ?

Paulm280885

So my budget is £150 for speakers what do you recommend for that ?

BranM

Rear bins would probably benefit but not so much the floor.

Get some Silent coat extra instead of the Dynamat extreme, it's cheaper and just as good. It's thicker stuff too, 4mm compared to Dynamat which is 1.7mm.

Stick with the Focals with the budget you have. You won't get much better around that price range unless you can find something like hertz hsk's second hand. Just get a good amp to go with them and they will sing.

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "BranM"Rear bins would probably benefit but not so much the floor.

Get some Silent coat extra instead of the Dynamat extreme, it's cheaper and just as good. It's thicker stuff too, 4mm compared to Dynamat which is 1.7mm.

Stick with the Focals with the budget you have. You won't get much better around that price range unless you can find something like hertz hsk's second hand. Just get a good amp to go with them and they will sing.

what would be a good amp for hertz etc?
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

BranM

Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"
Quote from: "BranM"Rear bins would probably benefit but not so much the floor.

what would be a good amp for hertz etc?

It depends on your budget but: Genesis, JL Audio or Audison make great amps. A lot of these can be bought on ebay fairly cheaply.

Genesis profile series are particularly good for the 2 as they should be able to fit under the seat.

purplepowermonster

I've recently brought a pair of these from ebay, they sound OK but not as good as I had hoped but I think it is because I am running them direct from the head unit.  Now got an amp which I haven't wired up yet.
The tweeters fit in the doors an absolute treat but be careful with the woofers as the rubber speaker surround protrudes from the front of the speaker and will touch the back of the door panel and distort the sound.
Dynamat is expensive, looking around on the forum most people get flashing tape from a diy store which works really well, I have used it in mine.
 m http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing ... 747/p97581 m
I am mid ICE install so if I can be of any assistance......
2006 red Facelift, love it!

Paulm280885

Think I'm gonna gonna go with the focals with some silent coat xtra for sound deadening can I ask what amp you have purchased purplepowermonster ?

purplepowermonster

Hi there,  I got an Alpine V12 from ebay

Paulm280885

Can they fit under the seat and what sort of stat should my amp have to power jl 150w sub and the focal ps165 ?

purplepowermonster

It's a bit big so I need to install it in the box behind the seat.  I don't think you need anything too powerful, I think the Alpine is about 50 watts per channel.  I know it will be fine for the Focals but not sure if it will power the sub.

I have ordered a under dash sub from Nathan and got a JL speaker from Extreme audio.

If the Alpine doesn't power the sub I have a Kenwood mono block in the loft I will fit.

Look at my posts and you will see both vendors for the under dash sub.  Not arrived yet so can't comment.

BranM

Quote from: "Paulm280885"Can they fit under the seat and what sort of stat should my amp have to power jl 150w sub and the focal ps165 ?

Buy yourself a four channel amp and bridge 2 of the channel's to run the sub. The focal ps165's can handle up to 120w each and the jl sub 150w so make sure you get something with enough power to do them justice

roger

Quote from: "Paulm280885"Yeah looking at the dynamat xtreme door kit is it worth sound deadening the the floor and rear bins etc ?

Rolls of flashing tape can be much easier to manipulate and cut than sheets, and I guess will be much cheaper as well! If you want it thicker, just put another layer on   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Paulm280885

Thanks mate but I've already ordered it £30 for the door pack went with the silent coat xtreme even thicker than dynomat real good reviews aswel

James and his MR2

Hey Paulm280885, as you have now fitted these speakers can I ask your opinion? I want some speakers to connect to my Sony HU that have reasonable bass

Paulm280885

Haven't had the chance to fit them yet mate

swampy_donkey

I'm looking at these or similar too - I don't think I'll run an amp though. I will use these  m http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autolead ... pw60H8gGSM m  to help with the install!
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

trickyD

+1 for Focals   s:D :D s:D  
I've had these and they are exceptionally clear, but JL are also brilliant as are Infinity "Perfect" components which I've never owned but I've had Kappa and reference range which are very good.

I've heard Rainbow & Genesis recommended but I've no personal experience.

Dynaudio are one of the best speaker manufacturers in the world, not sure you have the budget though   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

trickyD

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"I'm looking at these or similar too - I don't think I'll run an amp though. I will use these  m http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autolead ... pw60H8gGSM m  to help with the install!
isn't 130mm too small?
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

AckersMR2

Quote from: "trickyD"
Quote from: "swampy_donkey"I'm looking at these or similar too - I don't think I'll run an amp though. I will use these  m http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autolead ... pw60H8gGSM m  to help with the install!
isn't 130mm too small?

Yep, needs to be 165mm (6.5") easier and cheaper to gut the original speaker mount, obviously this means there's no way of returning to stock if you so wished at a later date though?

But judging by the date of the OP they've probably realised that by now?  s;) ;) s;)
My only car is a Ducati 

Tags: