Pistols Roadster... project track

Started by pistol pete, January 24, 2014, 18:46

Anonymous

Why not run the roadster in the most basic class for a while and upgrade it when you can afford it?

pistol pete

Didn't matter on class the roadster had to have a msa compliant Rollcage.. Due to softtop and nope hardtop wouldn't cut it either as it's no stronger as made from fibreglass

I have its replacement now and cost me less than. Roll cage and still got the mk3 to sell On  s;) ;) s;)

pistol pete

Well Its time to part ways with the roadster
  s:( :( s:(  
Very sad i have got very attached to the car, and handles and drives brilliant also nothing wrong with it..
I want to move onto the Toyota Sprint Series, unfortunatly the roadster is the only car that HAS to run a roll cage

So that would be minimum of 600+vat+fitting for roll cage (so well over a grand) for a decent MSA regulated one so i could move onto racing if i wanted to, Plus a hard top £400+ Plus Fitting kit, Then coilovers £700.
It was just starting to add up.

So with not having loads of money at the mo decided to change to a car with a hardtop, that way i could start off running it in street class and evolve from there as money allows

First  of was looking at a 20v levin which would have been awesome, but if i needed a body panel or anything a bit different, same again it becomes expensive.

Remember this whole project is about doing it cheap but still having fun..

So after a chat with Mr gidden.. Off i hunted for a mk2 mr2.
I wanted a non-Tbar, Preferable a rev3 plus, NA engine
and wanted it under a grand with Tax and test..
A fair amount to ask but was sure i must be able to find a good rev 3..

And i tell you what.. its actually hard to find a good one out there..
Some very strange machines and modifications. but i wanted as close to stock as possible

Came across a black rev4 which ticked the boxes and a rev 3 but one was to far away and would have took me over budget (set myself the grand including pick up costs and wanted to stick to it) the other turned out to be a T-Bar.. no good

Then i came across a little gem amoungst the rough

Rev 5 In Sonic Shadow. my second fav colour scheme on a mk2 (after cosmos blue)
on autotrader, well in budget
spoke to the guy, really nice genuine chap, just bought a PZ RX8 as an upgrade and the mr2 had been sat at his grandads house for 3 weeks since
Mot'd Till oct, Tax'd till sept
Standard car, said was selling cheap because of rusty rear arches and ABS fault light.

So £30 train ticket and off i went yesterday to cambridge.. That place is just full of bikes and students
Morgan picked me up in his RX, lovely car and off we went

It was the first time he had seen the mr in a week and his grandad was charging the battery, so the car was stone cold not started in 3 weeks

Oil coolant all perfect, no leaks, no rust on the sills at all and never been welded
toyos on the front and contisports on the rear so good tyres
Love the red dials on the rev 5

started up straight away now hesitation, sounded good
the rear arches.. well errmm you'll be hard pushed to see where there is any rust, a pin prick bubble, thats it

took it for a drive, and very solid, one of the most stable mk2's i have been in (i always complain they are a bit twitchty and unstable compared to my planted mk3) but this one felt good

So the deal was done how much as i here you ask.. £860!!!

Then the fun starts, Cambridge to south kent friday afternoon leaving at 5 i knew this journey would test the car. espcially hitting dartford crossing..
But it was all clear drove pretty much straight through, front caliper is holding on very very slightly so will free that off this week.
Popped in and saw pete Kyte on way home, just couldn't believe how clean it was

Got to ashford and gave it a blat down the back roads i know.. It feels good, definatly not as nimble as my mk3 but most definatly more grunty from the engine,the back end is a bit more snappy the the feel of the mk3, all new things to learn.
Fuel economy was just superb, put my focus to shame, Filled up at cmbridge, hardly moved by the time i got to ashford, use a bit through back roads though

Overall i really like it, very chuffed with it and for what i want it for i feel its to good for but never mind  s:) :) s:)
My main aim is to get it handling perfectly and how i want it

Will keep you updated
Ill stop rambling now here are some pics  s:) :) s:)
Its in desperate need of a clean and looks a lot better in flesh

I was going to leave as is.. but its my track car so i gotta decal it..

Any suggestions?

parker455

Looks sweet mate! Glad you went down the mk2 route, it's far cleaner than mine haha that's for sure.

Anonymous

Looks like a great but, almost a shame to track it!

Will you be running it at the blyton day?

ayresyboy

I do love a mk2. You need to put a trd kit on it pete  s;) ;) s;)
SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

pistol pete

Yeah it'll be at Blyton and the sprint series day after...

As for its to good it really is that good. I keep looking at it thinking it's pretty

But I have my st as my baby
This is a 800 track car.. So stickers and bgw to get it to the track feel

pistol pete

not been on here thought i would let you know how i'm doing

STarted the toyota Sprint Series at woodbridge on sunday
what a good day.. loved every second of it

started off with practice runs..
well let say, new car, new tyres and new track.. it tried to spin out, somehow caught it

Will get a vid up later..
really enjoyed the track itself, changing surfaces levels of grip being an airfiled..
Layout of the track was brilliant

after my first timed run of 2.39. i wanted to improve
gradually i did
QuotePeter Mason
2:39.52
2:37.79
2:36.92
2:35.56
2:34.59
2:33.18
2:33.13
2:33.28

because i was only car in my class i set my self a goal..after first timed run there was a guy called Guy in D-Pro fully stripped with R88s etc who set a time of 2.33.9 so i wanted to beat that as he was running 2.33/2.34 consistant
When i got to that point i was very chuffed i had achieved what i set out to do.
Happy with the car so i have seen some track time, but i do want to do suspension work, the original shocks are showing their age
And won a trophy so happy dayz

brake dust killing the new paint  s:) :) s:)

Bring on blyton

Anyone thinking about doing the series.. DO IT  :thumleft:

Anonymous

Looks great!! Well done for the results too, impressive. I'd love to get involve in something like that.

What mods have you done to the mr2?

pistol pete

none  s:) :) s:)
at the moment
full service with yellow stuff pads and new wheels and tyres

still has all original suspension and exhuast..

all will change as i develop it

Anonymous

Nice cheap fun! Would love to see go pro footage  s:) :) s:)

pistol pete

Currently converting then uploading
Will put on ere in the morning

Anonymous

Worst thing about gopro....the post processing!!

pistol pete

oh i Hate windows 8..
Was sorting out all the vids converting etc, decided to do an update and lost the lot,
So i will have to ge them back off the camera again.. grrr

I have managed to upload one
my first time round the track, untimed practice run
and most likely my slowest lap by quite a way

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB49PpemBjA m

Anonymous

Nice video, pretty big slide well held  s:D :D s:D

pistol pete

As requested the proper vid
 m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlyH3mUa27I m

Well i have a nice list on the way now for the car

HSD Monopro coilovers
 m http://www.driftworks.com/hsd-coilovers ... 0-w30.html m

picking up tomorrow

Toyo Sports Exhaust

Braided Brake lines

Front and rear ARC anti roll bars
sizes are 24mm and 25mm

should make a nice difference  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Looks fun! Not much to hit is there, good venue for beginners.

I want to play!

pistol pete

will i'm back so ill probably keep this thready updated now  s:) :) s:)
I won the series and now in C-Pro
fully stripped the mk2 and i loves it..

got the weight down to 1060kg

Anonymous

I've seen some of your YouTube vids but hadn't realised you had won

pistol pete

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"I've seen some of your YouTube vids but hadn't realised you had won
Yeah plently more vids on there now..
won last season and doing well for this season
you should come join

pistol pete

Well been busy tho eve

Sorted a sticking rear caliper
Changed stereo
Found no speaker on drivers side so fitted a nice pair of kenwoods
Removed hard top fitting kit
Cleaned

jonty

I've not read your thread before Pete; looks like you're having loads of fun!

In the photos above, what is the yellow single seater? I have no knowledge of cars of that era, but there is something about them that appeals to me very strongly... also the GT86 looks awesome, much better than stock with some agressive offset wheels  s:) :) s:)

...and of course your Zombie Breakout Response Team mk2 looks like a hoot! I'm not a fan of 3 spokes, but in the picture where there is a bit of a motion blur making the spokes look chunkier I actually really like how they look!

pistol pete

Thing are moving on..

cage is in and welded in .. Happy days very chuffed.. coded welder from work came down and done the welding for me.
after it had cooled put on some seam sealer let that dry then refitted the cage

Also big news... ALL of the exhaust manifold bolts came undone... big shocker.. wasnt expecting that!!
so will be getting on with that and the gearbox this weekend..
awaiting patrick to get back to me about what clutch options he has.. Hurley have also been helpfull with clutch selection.. we shall see what i order this week..

wifey ordered a steering boss for the Paj (she didn't like the huge wheel).. so now has a new wheel in that

Also test fitted one of the mirrors.. could not believe how much the olds ones weighed
looks good will just make a small plate up to cover the other holes left (functional not for looks)

Also order something for the front off of here..

jobs for this weekend.. torque up the cage.. refit the seat, wheel and extinguisher

Get exhaust off and start dropping gearbox ready for new TRD LSD box..

pistol pete

got some nice lightweight lights arrive today so can get rid of the heavy pop up lights..

i am sure they are rubbish road lights but my car never sees the road or the dark

so will get them fitted, might not do the gearbox dependant on monies for clutch and lightenend flywheel.. we shall see..

pistol pete

few other updates from eariler on in the year

back in march..

Well snet was interesting
running semi slicks in a very very wet day..
this wet..

like most had a small spin
and on the last run had a huuuuge spin..
but car was fine its just covered in mud now...

But did come away with a trophy and i have moved from 26th last year to 15th this year overall at the same course.. beating a lot of people i was no where near last year.. but its very hard to tell as was sooo wet
car felt brilliant..(just a little slippy)
can't wait for blyton now..

small spin

great pic

Tags: