Full Respray Costs

Started by Mark080, February 10, 2014, 21:26

Mark080

I recently returned from a week away with work to find out some lovely person had poured paint stripper or other corrosive liquid all over my silver MR2.

The bonnet, front bumper, passenger door and handle, hardtop roof and rear passenger quarter all need repainted.  Anyone how much this might cost to get these panels resprayed?  I'm thinking due to all the work a full respray might be more economical.

Just trying to weigh up if it's worth going through my insurance.

Thanks for any help people can offer with this.

Mark
2001 Silver MR2 Roadster

s12vea

Depends on the quality of workmanship £1500-3000 I would say. What about wrapping the car? Could work out cheaper.

If you call insurance they may right the car off....  Now that would be sad  s:( :( s:(
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Mark080

Really, that much?  Aw man.  Yeah I don't want the car written off.  I've e-mailed off to get some quotes.  Looks like some places do a full respray from £550.  I could do it myself but I want a good finish.
2001 Silver MR2 Roadster

ShieldsOnTour

Or how about plasti dipped? That's getting pretty cheap - 500 quid for the car.
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

Mark080

Hey Shields.  Never heard of plasti dipping, I'll look into it thanks.  I'd prob be cheaper just buying replacement panels off ebay and here than a respray.
2001 Silver MR2 Roadster

StuC

Mark - That is appalling  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

I'd agree with s12vea on those prices. For that kind of money, I'd probably be looking at a bespoke paint job from Simers on here.

I'd look into wrapping too. Perhaps even have a go yourself. There are a few on here that have done large areas or whole cars.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Markb

What about picking up some new panels the same colour,panels with the exception of the hard top sell for approx £40-50 each and all bolt on.......depending on what was used sometimes its impossible to spray over certain corrosive  damage no matter what cleaning or primer is used.Costs vary greatly from someone working from home to a pro bodyshop job,i know a guy does a cracking job for £70 a panel.

wotugonado

That's sh1tty mate, people can be right tossers sometimes.  I had vandal scratches on mine  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   i was quoted £450.00 for the whole side. Hope you sort it.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Mark080

Quote from: "StuC"Mark - That is appalling  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

Yeah I was raging to be honest.  They hit about 12 cars in my estate, never got caught of course.

Yeah I'll look into new panels thanks.  I've already rubbed down and primed the panels ready for paint but that doesn't matter I suppose.

I've actually painted a car before, turned out ok but definitely not Pro.  I just didn't want to again as too much hassle.  Might give it a bash though.

Thanks for all your help everyone!
2001 Silver MR2 Roadster

StuC

I hope you get a good result for you time, effort and money.
Let us know how you get on with whichever route you chose.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

andyroo104

It's a shame you are so far away as I may have all the panels you require.  s:-( :-( s:-(
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark080

Quote from: "andyroo104"It's a shame you are so far away as I may have all the panels you require.  s:-( :-( s:-(

I just saw in another post you had some panels Andy.  I might get some courier quotes if you don't mind.  Any idea how much you'd want for the panels?   Thanks for your help.
2001 Silver MR2 Roadster

ShieldsOnTour

Hey Mark - I see your in Edinburgh so I'll ping you over the details of the body shop who have just done my front end. Very, very pleased with the results and the guys are great - would trust them totally. They've just done my rear calliper too - and threw in the offer of a free service for no reason other than a thank you.

Not 100% sure if you are allowed to post plugs to garage's etc here so I'll PM you the details.

P.S. I would be very wary about going through insurance - there is a good chance they would write it off  s:( :( s:(

[EDIT] Been told it is OK to post about a garage, so will put something up in the Feedback section.
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

andyroo104

Quote from: "Mark080"
Quote from: "andyroo104"It's a shame you are so far away as I may have all the panels you require.  s:-( :-( s:-(

I just saw in another post you had some panels Andy.  I might get some courier quotes if you don't mind.  Any idea how much you'd want for the panels?   Thanks for your help.
Let me know exactly what you are after please.
Andy.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

nimrod

Sad for you why are ther such ar**holes around, they are happier destructing than constructing. I don't understand the pleasure they get from wrecking someones pride and joy, sorry for you mate.

Go Fast

All I can say is, I feel your pain--and I pity the poor brats who were stupid enough to do something so meaningless.  Good luck with the new paint job.

carolineasb

Was just going to reiterate what Markb said, I'm sure there are some corrosive liquids that are very hard to paint over (or rather once you paint it reacts again) even when you think you have removed all trace of it   s:( :( s:(  you may be cheaper in the long run just changing the panels?

Feel for you!  Any of your neighbours have CCTV?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

andyhull

Gutted for you mate   s:( :( s:(   I had some @@s hole grind his car down the side of mine in a car park a cpl of weeks ago !!! he didnt leave his calling card either
I might be lucky, as I found a retired guy that is into classic cars etc. He does it for a bit of pocket money, but the passion he has and evident work is enough for me.
He is doing the door and bonnet for a ton !!!!!!!  now thats what i call mates rates lol ( i buy paint of course )

Good luck mate, hope your sorted soon   s:) :) s:)
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

redarrow

I got a idiot muck my whole mgf up  years ago,

i Couldn't afford a painter , so i done it my self
Took me 7 attemps to get it right as a learning curfew,
Was fun becouse know with my mr2 i can repaint
Any problam easly , i pAint  my car every summer for fun....

I only use cans, and a heavy top finish ,and inbeteeen rub downs
With wet and dry then two weeks later a good polish.

My car old, but i love kepping It  looking  fairly good.

Trust me spending 2 hundred piund, on cans of paints and clear laquer
And a load of good wet and dry paper is a lot cheaper
Then any shop price.

I am at the age know 40 , where the car just needs to be
Clean looking touch ups here and there scraches dont
Scare me any more or big marks i just sort them out
My self in the summer......

The car get from a to b and in the summer
Fill the air in my hair while i got some lol

My car was £2000 mark, plus £1000 in mods
But ive had it 2 years so £1500 a year not bad
The fun i have had ,so if i had to sell it , with my paint work
£1000 ill get i recon , not bad only a car....

Sorry about the idiots your end , will it be done agin
 That  would worrie me ....// maybe a hired garage is neded

Beleve me the way things are with all these cuts and wages so crap
Dont  no how  long ill be driving for, nothink gurenteed anymore...
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Mark080

Quote from: "andyroo104"
Quote from: "Mark080"

Let me know exactly what you are after please.
Andy.
Thanks Andy. It would be the front bumper, bonnet and passenger door. Rest just need a little touch up.

Thanks for everyone else's help. Na no CCTV or anything. I've actually moved house since and it's parked in my drive now so fingers crossed it's safer.
2001 Silver MR2 Roadster

Mr X

Sorry to hear about your car :/
I had the wind blow the door open at work and made a mini dent on my rear qtr, repair cost £300!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  problem with cheap places is the lack of prep work! It will probably peal off in a few years.
I ended up repairing it myself using filler, sanding it and wrapping the whole car with about £200 worth of vinyl! At the end of last year I took off the vinyl from the front and plasti dipped it. It's too easy to do! I got a Wagner W550 (about £50 off ebay) and a 5l of pre-mixed dip from "matt-pack" on ebay. 1 can did my front bumper, bonnet and window surround. I would think you would need 4 cans to do the car.
pre dip:

post dip:

Best thing is, don't like it?? peal it off! It's ok to use pressure washers etc on it too!
Mark
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

parker455

So you only used 5l for the whole car? I was planning on doing mine but using 10l.

Mark080

Quote from: "Mr X"post dip:

That matt black looks awesome.  How easy is it to peel off?  If people walk past can they not just pick bits off?
Wee bit on the driveway there!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2001 Silver MR2 Roadster

Mr X

Quote from: "parker455"So you only used 5l for the whole car? I was planning on doing mine but using 10l.

nope, "1 can did my front bumper, bonnet and window surround" as in 1 5l can. I think I did 7 coats from memory! The rest of the car is still part vinyl/paint. That will change this summer. I think 10l is a bit optimistic.... I wouldn't want to get 10 and run out part way through the job.

QuoteThat matt black looks awesome. How easy is it to peel off? If people walk past can they not just pick bits off?

Just kicking it or rubbing your hand on it wont take it off. You have to pick quite hard at a corner then pull it back.

A good tip is to get and old panel, something that's painted already and get used to the settings etc before you start on the car. Maybe taking the engine lid under shield off and use that to test spray! Peal it off and put it back on after.

This stuff oversprays like crazy.... hence, my drive!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Star_69

Looks really mean in matt black. Like it! Pictures don't do it justice. That's a roadster Robocop would drive   s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "parker455"So you only used 5l for the whole car? I was planning on doing mine but using 10l.
Darker colours cover easier. Used about 4l turning mine completely gunmetal grey as a base. Looked lovely but wouldn't of lasted as it needs loads of coats for durability and to make it peel. Would of kept if I had more and didn't have 3 gallons of white already bought   s:D :D s:D
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Tags: