This car is special . .

Started by Huambo81a, May 23, 2014, 17:51

Gixer

I've got yokohama ao43's Got my car MOT'd last week and it was advised they are cracking on tread area. I suspect they are the original tyres on a 56 plate with 12k miles so time for a change!!! Pity because the ao43 seem decent and have loads of tread left but I'm not happy leaving them if they are starting to crack. It seems 5-6 years is about the normal life of a tyre. I am thinking I might actually see a really big improvement if I move to ad08 given my tires are old even though they have loads of tread. My only concern is the cold weather limitations, not that I need to use the car if it's cold but would exposing the tyres to the riggors of a Scottish winter mean they would degrade quicker?

Kaeo

You wouldn't notice the difference to be honest. Tyres will degrade after 10 years of use regardless of weather  s:) :) s:)

Gixer

That's reassuring Kaeo, I was worried they may start to crack sooner in the cold  weather. Not bothered about the grip on cold days as I just won't use it. That's what the company car is for

frangipie

Welcome to the Club. It will be good to see another '2 whizzing around Leicester, Keep an eye out for me. Black PFL Number plate says FKU  :-) :-) :-)
Black 02 MR2 Roadster
[size=85]PFL,Hard top,Black Leather,AC,Devs Keyhole covers,The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings,Facelift Side Vents,K&N Filter[/size]

Huambo81a

Quote from: "frangipie"Welcome to the Club. It will be good to see another '2 whizzing around Leicester, Keep an eye out for me. Black PFL Number plate says FKU  :-) :-) :-)

Will do mate!

mines, ##55 TMX.

On a side note, still loving the car, but am disappointed with the level of grip my tyres are giving (front Nexens, rear nankangs) The fronts particularly are quite awful. At speed the handling is best described as 'woolley'

Are Toyo Proxes any good? i dont have a massive budget (read that as i dont have ANY money)

Thanks!
2ZZ - Apexi PFC - Proflow Exhaust - Yellowspeed Coilovers

frangipie

Mine had Nexens on when I bought it, No good at all! I've got Marshal Matrac XM tyres all round on mine at the moment, I believe these to be a mid range tyre, Around £50 each. I drive all year round in all weather and I've never had any issues with them at all, and I do push the car hard!  :-) :-) :-)
Black 02 MR2 Roadster
[size=85]PFL,Hard top,Black Leather,AC,Devs Keyhole covers,The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings,Facelift Side Vents,K&N Filter[/size]

Huambo81a

Quote from: "frangipie"Mine had Nexens on when I bought it, No good at all! I've got Marshal Matrac XM tyres all round on mine at the moment, I believe these to be a mid range tyre, Around £50 each. I drive all year round in all weather and I've never had any issues with them at all, and I do push the car hard!  :-) :-) :-)

Brilliant!

Good to know.

As mentioned it's my first rear wheel drive car. I was 'exploring' the limits of grip last Saturday whenever i found an appropriate roundabout. I found that i could reach a point where slightly more throttle was chronic understeer, and slightly less was oversteer, I suspect i was on the limit of losing the back end, which with experience is probably fun, but as a novice i'm not inclined to push any faster on the road. Kittens etc.

they seem to get woolier as they warm up as well, so ive lowered the front pressures to 26, i don't know if that makes sense, but it seemed logical.

I'll see if they get any better.

Thanks!

moorx

Mine had budget tyres when I bought it, and (like you) different makes front and rear   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

After reading many threads on here, I opted for Toyos - I could have got them slightly cheaper from Ears Motorsport, but would then have had to pay for fitting, so I got them from my local ATS for £50 (fronts) and £65 (rears) fitted and balanced.

TBH I didn't drive the car much before I had them changed (and not in the wet) so it's hard to judge, but my OH reckons they're much better.

Huambo81a

Quote from: "moorx"Mine had budget tyres when I bought it, and (like you) different makes front and rear   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

After reading many threads on here, I opted for Toyos - I could have got them slightly cheaper from Ears Motorsport, but would then have had to pay for fitting, so I got them from my local ATS for £50 (fronts) and £65 (rears) fitted and balanced.

TBH I didn't drive the car much before I had them changed (and not in the wet) so it's hard to judge, but my OH reckons they're much better.

Thanks!

Yes i was actually thinking of Toyo's.

Anonymous

Main thing is to get the same brand tyre all round... and at the right sizes

But I would reccomend toyo! I got all 4 corners for £175... very very cheap  s:) :) s:)

Huambo81a

£175 is crazy cheap.

Huambo81a

Quote from: "dj vinxy"Main thing is to get the same brand tyre all round... and at the right sizes

But I would reccomend toyo! I got all 4 corners for £175... very very cheap  s:) :) s:)

Can i ask what sizes you went for?

I notice that they don't do a 225 at the size i would like, so it would probably need to be 195's front, and 215's rear, is there enough stagger there?

Thanks

Jrichards20

Yes that is enough stagger. 195 front may reduce turn in response a little, but not by a huge amount. Standard is 185/215.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Huambo81a

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Yes that is enough stagger. 195 front may reduce turn in response a little, but not by a huge amount.

Great thanks.

Update re the pressures.

Dropped front to 26. They seem better at speed, but less responsive at lower speed, and more inclined to tramline.

By responsive i don't mean grip, just the feeling of them. Not over enamoured with them at all!

moorx

I got 195/50/15 fronts and 225/40/16 rears.

Jrichards20

With budgets i dont expect you will like them. When you get a better brand, which responds well, you will find a whole new love for the car.
Street Triple 765 RS

Huambo81a

Quote from: "Jrichards20"With budgets i dont expect you will like them. When you get a better brand, which responds well, you will find a whole new love for the car.

i look forward to it!

I realise that Toyo's aren't the best, but i'm sure they'll be an improvement.

Just like to say thankyou to everyone, this is such a helpful forum!

Cheers

shnazzle

Toyo's are remarkably good value for money and the fact that many on here swear by them says a lot.

I would also heartily recommend the Yokohama AD08 for pure face-distorting grip in the dry and fantastic hold in the wet. Tramlining can be a bit off-putting, but worth it!
Even if they're an absolute fortune  s:( :( s:(

Hope you;re enjoying the new 2  s:D :D s:D
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "shnazzle"I would also heartily recommend the Yokohama AD08 for pure face-distorting grip in the dry and fantastic hold in the wet.

+1
Street Triple 765 RS

Tags: