2zz turbo

Started by gazza-blackpool, July 7, 2014, 23:53

gazza-blackpool

I'm thinking of 2zz turbo. What kinda turbos am I to use etc?? And can I use a piggyback ecu???

Anonymous

Piggy back should be ok if the engine staying standard with a turbo bolted on. Turbo wise it needs to be fairly large due to the cfm requirement upon lift.

gazza-blackpool

My pals got a Scooby Sri turbo will be up for sale soon may get involved:)

Wabbitkilla

2zz is a fairly high compression engine (it's designed to be high performance NA) so you will need to be pretty careful with Turbo choice.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Alex Knight

Quote from: "gazza-blackpool"I'm thinking of 2zz turbo. What kinda turbos am I to use etc??

Any one you like. As long as it fits.

Quote from: "gazza-blackpool"And can I use a piggyback ecu???

Of course you can. You can use anything you like. As long as it fits.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"2zz is a fairly high compression engine (it's designed to be high performance NA) so you will need to be pretty careful with Turbo choice.

+1 i know some people get away with 12 psi but i would stick at 8 as a safe place, but others might know better

loadswine

To be honest, if I was looking at a 2zz type of project, I would have to say supercharging is the way to go. A Rotrex installation would be a sensational choice.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Alex Knight

Quote from: "rbuckingham"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"2zz is a fairly high compression engine (it's designed to be high performance NA) so you will need to be pretty careful with Turbo choice.

+1 i know some people get away with 12 psi but i would stick at 8 as a safe place, but others might know better

Quoting arbitrary psi values is utterly irrelevant.

Different sized compressors have different efficiencies.

(Generally speaking) the larger the compressor, the more efficient it will be. Therefore the charge temperatures and flow rates will be different for different turbos at the same given boost pressure.

It's much more complicated than you make it appear to sound.

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"To be honest, if I was looking at a 2zz type of project, I would have to say supercharging is the way to go. A Rotrex installation would be a sensational choice.

That's what I was thinking, the corolla engine was supercharged wasn't it

loadswine

Yes, they did the Corolla Compressor with a positive displacement supercharger. Lotus had versions of Elise and Exige similarly enhanced.  Very nice!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Alex Knight"
Quote from: "rbuckingham"

Quoting arbitrary psi values is utterly irrelevant.

Different sized compressors have different efficiencies.

(Generally speaking) the larger the compressor, the more efficient it will be. Therefore the charge temperatures and flow rates will be different for different turbos at the same given boost pressure.

It's much more complicated than you make it appear to sound.

that is true but the more the charger makes over what the engine uses increases pressure and air temp has effect on pre detonation. So yes bigger the charger the more efficient it is so air temps are lower at a certain pressure as that is determined by the cfm of the blowers output at that time and the engines cfm usage at the time. Of course the lower the air temp the more you can turn things up as at the end of the day the only thing you really need to watch is the knock.

i learnt alot on it during building my turbo kit even tho its for a 1zz.

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"Yes, they did the Corolla Compressor with a positive displacement supercharger. Lotus had versions of Elise and Exige similarly enhanced.  Very nice!

I love OEM things like that, I'd love to swap one into a roadster, shame there aren't a few more inches to play with!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"
Quote from: "loadswine"Yes, they did the Corolla Compressor with a positive displacement supercharger. Lotus had versions of Elise and Exige similarly enhanced.  Very nice!

I love OEM things like that, I'd love to swap one into a roadster, shame there aren't a few more inches to play with!!

it has been done before, but requires a hammer on the firewall   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Anonymous

Yeah, I get it's very very tight! And the corolla ECU can't be used so it all starts getting expensive!

Anonymous

Speak to Paul woods as he managed it, don't know the full details but he might of found a workaround.

Alex Knight

Paul woods was running both ECUs when I spoke to him.

gazza-blackpool

Cheers dudes. I would love to supercharge it but costs a lot. Turbo maybe the way forward atm

loadswine

If costs are factored in, a decent 1zz turbo installation might suit just as well. The 1zz in turbo form can be quite satisfying to drive.

gazza-blackpool

I've already done the 2zz conversion so no point putting the 1zz back in lol

loadswine

Ah, good reason then!  s;) ;) s;)

PaullyP2010

I have a 2zz Turbo - albeit the 2zz has had some tinkering too. I love it (although still not totally finished) but, the supercharger option is much more popular with the Celica crowd, and I would have gone that route if I didn't already have most of the Turbo bits from my 1zz. I would suggest speaking to viet - as he has a rotrex in his 2zz, and would be able to advise what you need / how easy it is.

Cheers,
Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

gazza-blackpool

I was speaking to Viet at weekend at jap show at Santa pod. I would love to go the supercharged route but Viet was saying it cost in excess of £4000 plus mapping and it's a lot outta my price range. Gonna be summet I do next year unless really cheap stuff come up. What turbo are you running paully???? Bhp etc???

Tags: