Final drive - swap

Started by Kimitech, July 18, 2014, 11:41

Kimitech

Hello,

has anybody changed a final gear ratio on a 6 speed MR2 from 3,941 to 4,312? Or is here anybody who just made swap of the final drive because I´m looking for some sort of photo guide.
Idea is to use MR2 gearbox and modify it for better utilization with 2zz engine.
Of course, the usual solution could be using a C60 box but it has no LSD (needs to be opened as well) and yet it has too much short final drive. On that basis it´s easier just to swap the final drive on MR2 6 speed.

Thanks
Kamil

Alex Knight

If you can calculate that the MR2 'box with a shorter final drive will keep the engine in lift, then I guess it's up to you. Either solution would work.

Hangar 111 do a final drive here:  m http://www.hangar111.com/shop/lotus-2-e ... arbox.html m

But at that price, it MILES more cost effective to retro-fit an OEM LSD into a 2ZZ 'box.

Kimitech

Look at it in this way - you dont have to swap shifting mechanism and LSD, just a final drive gear.
Only thing I would like to see is a photo guide - in case somebody has already swapped final drive on this gearboxes.
To find the 4.312 final gear should not be a huge problem.

Kimitech

Would be really nice to have some video of just how the MR2 2zz behave with stock C60, C66 and some modifications of original box for example. I mean no crazy 0-60 vids etc. just a cruising at aroun 130 kph on 6th gear and some sort of acceleration during 1 - 5 th gear.
Especially like the idea of C60 gearing with C66 (3.941) final drive which could give the car nice acceleration plus low cruising rpm´s on the 6th gear. Can somebody confirm this theory?

Alex, what setup are you driving now talking about the gearbox?

Pete C

Final drive is bolted to the diff so you'd have to open up the box and perform basically the same procedure as swapping the LSD.

Kimitech

Nope. Just swap the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear from C60 box. The 1st and 6th, which are the same (as those in C60), would be retained from C66.

Alex Knight

Quote from: "Kimitech"Alex, what setup are you driving now talking about the gearbox?

I'm using the stock Corolla T-Sport C64 with open differential.

Kimitech

I think it is possible to swap gears (2., 3., 4., 5.) from C60 box to MR2 (C66) box, isn´t it? I mean the only isue could be a different diameter of shafts which I don´t suppose.

vinp182

Quote from: "Kimitech"I think it is possible to swap gears (2., 3., 4., 5.) from C60 box to MR2 (C66) box, isn´t it? I mean the only isue could be a different diameter of shafts which I don´t suppose.

I helped Steve M Uk swap the gears from a celica box into an mr2 box a year or so ago... Wasn't that hard tbh but Steve knew exactly what he was doing
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Kimitech

But I mean swapping gears from C60 box onto C66 shaft.

Anyway, does anybody know the number of teeths on pinion and diff gear regarding C60 and C66 boxes?

cabbydave

The c60 and c66 have different final drives depending on whether its UK/Europe or JDM. Look at the Corolla T Sport ratios that might just suite you.

cabbydave

Oh and the gears off the C60 will go on the C66 shaft

Kimitech

Seriously? Have you ever performed it? It would be great. So basically it is just about finding a donor c60, use necessary gears and assemble them onto c66  input and output shaft.

cabbydave

It can be done

KRAMSNEHPETS

Hi. I now have most of the bits ready to do my 2zz swop. Is there any info available to help me with the gearbox? I would like to swop the first 5 gears from my celica box into my mr 6 speed so that I have LSD and a motorway friendly 6th gear.
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

cabbydave

Where abouts in the UK are you?

KRAMSNEHPETS

Hi, two miles from stansted airport
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

Escy

Quote from: "KRAMSNEHPETS"Hi. I now have most of the bits ready to do my 2zz swop. Is there any info available to help me with the gearbox? I would like to swop the first 5 gears from my celica box into my mr 6 speed so that I have LSD and a motorway friendly 6th gear.

I'm thinking about doing this also.

Are there any special tools needed to remove the gears?

Kimitech

Great, the more will be us, the better for other members. Please make a good photo and written documentation.

As far as the tools needed, probably a gear separator, hammer, and a solid surface (desk).

cabbydave

Yes you do need special tools works out about £100 plus postage and import duty. I bit the bullet and bought some but I always use the first 5 gears out of the doner box and the mr2 6th gear. It all depends on what box you are going to use a corolla has a 4.5 diff and Celicas vary pending if its a import or not. On the next conversion I do im leaving the diff open as it will be my daily driver and although its nice having a LSD driving down empty A roads with sweeping bends in Cheshire on the way to work I figure with the tyre wear the lsd creates its aa no brainer. However my Sunday car is going o have everything on it slammed full body kit LSD and one day a charger.

Kimitech

So chaps, how is it going? Any updates on the C66 box with C60 gearing?

Escy

I've swapped 6th gear from the MR2 onto the Celica C60. I had to buy a hydraulic puller to do it. Haven't put it back in the car yet.

Kimitech

Sorry, but it might be a bit useless don´t you think? Because C60 and C66 (MR2 EU 6 speed box) uses the same 6th gear: 0.725 ratio.

cabbydave

That's if it's a European  box but not if you put it on the jdm celica or corolla  box. The uk box needs the Avensis diesel 6th gear

Kimitech

Agreed.

Anyway, I would appreciate some pics and knowledges from swapping the C60 (2,3,4 and 5.th gear) into C66 box as mentioned above.

Tags: