Mods for the 2

Started by Anonymous, July 21, 2003, 10:19

Anonymous

Hi folks,

I don't even have my 2 yet and I'm thinking about mods!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'd like to get the calipers painted red, does this affect my warranty in any way? Come to that, what can I get away with without voiding the warranty?

Also can I have your opinions on the best available 'subtle' mods to make the 2 sound/look better.

Cheers,

Lee

Anonymous

It'll be good to have another '2 in Leeds!

Painting calipers won't affect you're warranty.  Unless something goes wrong and Toyota can prove that it was your painted calipers that caused the problem!

I bought a K&N drop in filter element which makes the engine sound a bit more meaty (especially over 4K rpm), helps it to rev a bit more freely too.  This doesn't affect your warranty or insurance.

Did you go for the sports exhasut option?  That makes the engine note sound better and again is covered by your warranty as it's an official part.  If you order it as an option when you buy the car it won't affect your insurance either.

HTH and Enjoy!

--H--

Anonymous

No, I didnt go for the twin exhaust.

I might try the K&N replacement filter, or the Apexi.....depends on how adventurous I feel.

I'll defo be painting the calipers now.

Hardcore, we should try and arrange a meet once I have the '2.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lee"I might try the K&N replacement filter, or the Apexi.....depends on how adventurous I feel.

FYI: im trying to get my mate in the trade to get me a few K&N Panel Filters a bit cheaper for me to pass on to you guys... I'll keep ya posted in the For Sale section of this site....

Anonymous

QuoteFYI: im trying to get my mate in the trade to get me a few K&N Panel Filters a bit cheaper for me to pass on to you guys... I'll keep ya posted in the For Sale section of this site....

Yeah I'd be up for that.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Let me know if you manage to get hold of some.

Anonymous

I'd be up for some of that too  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

bad news guys... my mate just got back to me (just as i was writing the For Sale notice!) and said that K&N have none in stock and they would be a 4-6 week wait to get them from the states!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Not sure if your still interested, but he is now going to get me a price for the Green Cotton filters instead... I'll keep ya posted....

Just a rough idea, the price would be around 10% or so off retail price...

Anonymous

I'd be interested either way (don't really mind waiting either).  How good are "Green Cotton" ones?  Not heard anything about them as everyone here seems to talk about K&N.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lee"I might try the K&N replacement filter, or the Apexi.....depends on how adventurous I feel.
Go for it!  From what I hear the Apexi is a great piece of kit but bear in mind it is more likely to affect your warranty if you have any problems.  It iwll also most likely count as a mod for insurance purposes, which may or may not matter depending opn who you're insured with.

Quote from: "Lee"Hardcore, we should try and arrange a meet once I have the '2.
I'm always up for that!  Where abouts are you BTW?

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"I'd be interested either way (don't really mind waiting either).  How good are "Green Cotton" ones?  Not heard anything about them as everyone here seems to talk about K&N.

Ive heard of them and i know Demon Tweeks sell them so they cant be all bad.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "phil4"I'd be interested either way (don't really mind waiting either).  How good are "Green Cotton" ones?  Not heard anything about them as everyone here seems to talk about K&N.

Ive heard of them and i know Demon Tweeks sell them so they cant be all bad.
Demon Tweeks also sell neon so I'm not so sure about that logic!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"Demon Tweeks also sell neon so I'm not so sure about that logic!

--H--
LOL! good point!

Anonymous

QuoteI'm always up for that! Where abouts are you BTW?

I'm in Tingley? Where are you?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lee"
QuoteI'm always up for that! Where abouts are you BTW?

I'm in Tingley? Where are you?
Cool!  I'm in Garforth mostly, I work in Wetherby.

There was going to be a northern meet a while back but no-one could be arsed to really organise it (typical Northerners they'll all say...).

Ah well we'll see...  Do you have a delivery date BTW?

--H--

Anonymous

QuoteDo you have a delivery date BTW?

Not yet, they are supposed to ring me today with the delivery date.

Anonymous

Here is some info on the Green filters anyway:

m http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/htmlpages/techAFG08.htm m

dancarbon

Quote from: "Hardcore"There was going to be a northern meet a while back but no-one could be arsed to really organise it (typical Northerners they'll all say...).
Was that you volunteering H?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"
Quote from: "Hardcore"There was going to be a northern meet a while back but no-one could be arsed to really organise it (typical Northerners they'll all say...).
Was that you volunteering H?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Nah...  Can't be arsed!

--H--

Anonymous

typical Northerners

Anonymous

Bought my filter (Jetex), just wish someone could tell me how to get the damn cover off the existing one!!

Anonymous

Here you go!...

HTH

--H--

Anonymous

Cheers Hardcore!

What a guy!

Easy when you know how (or where to look..........)

Anonymous

No prob!

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

--H--

Anonymous

i'm in the same boat as the OP, i'm getting my mr2 soon, and want to just make it a bit quicker, would the drop in k&n filter give a bit more horse power? what filters are better than others? theres tons of them, all different prices too. how about remapping the ecu too?

roger

Quote from: "razorsharp192"i'm in the same boat as the OP, i'm getting my mr2 soon, and want to just make it a bit quicker, would the drop in k&n filter give a bit more horse power? what filters are better than others? theres tons of them, all different prices too. how about remapping the ecu too?

Despite manufacturers claims the thought is that a different air filter only affects noise, not any significant increase in HP. You can replace the standard filter, or you can do away with the airbox and fit an Apexi or whatever. With one of these the the words of warning are whether the filter is actually doing a good job, and whether you actually get a loss of performance because the air you are pulling in comes from the engine bay and is therefore hotter than before.

AFAIAA you cannot easily remap the ECU. The way forward is to buy a chip which piggy backs onto it. Dastek Unichip is the preferred. Costs will depend on who fits and programs it, but I reckon you would have to budget for around £350 + VAT as a minimum, unless you can get hold of a s/hand one. This generally increases 10 - 15 HP.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: