Removal of main catalytic converter

Started by John, August 23, 2014, 20:41

bluesmoke

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "bluesmoke"It's ok, done some reading up since getting home and I believe the fact it's badged MR-S may be the saving grace, as there's not going to be an MR-S listed in the tester's book  s:) :) s:)
Check your V5 documents and that will tell you your emission for the car, even if an import.
How does that affect things? If it's not in the tester's book it will still be tested as a default import.

Pete C

I think you'll find for imports registered up to 31/07/96 then you can get away with a non-cat test (up to 3.5% CO), everything after will be a default cat test (not sure on the figure but probably about 0.5% CO) unless the emissions figure was declared on import.

jaspa

Quote from: "Pete C"I think you'll find for imports registered up to 31/07/96 then you can get away with a non-cat test (up to 3.5% CO), everything after will be a default cat test (not sure on the figure but probably about 0.5% CO) unless the emissions figure was declared on import.

I think this only applies if the engine/chassis combination do not appear in the VOSA book, so the SW20/3SGTE (mk2 turbo) follows this as it was import only, but the SW20/3SGE (MK2 NA) do not.

ele_2k4

I've got a full decat system and have done for a few years now. It runs exactly the same as before, no loss of power or anything as others have mentioned. It sounds brilliant. The EML is always on but I know the garage well who do my MOT so no issue for me. I'd definitely recommend it if an MOT isn't a problem for you.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ele_2k4"I've got a full decat system and have done for a few years now. It runs exactly the same as before, no loss of power or anything as others have mentioned. It sounds brilliant. The EML is always on but I know the garage well who do my MOT so no issue for me. I'd definitely recommend it if an MOT isn't a problem for you.

Just get a spacer for your O2 sensor and clear the code, your light will stay off  s:) :) s:)

phaeton

Quote from: "Pete C"I think you'll find for imports registered up to 31/07/96 then you can get away with a non-cat test (up to 3.5% CO), everything after will be a default cat test (not sure on the figure but probably about 0.5% CO) unless the emissions figure was declared on import.
This is fact not fiction if you go to a proper MOT station that likes his license to test. We had a 1998 Skyline which as you will know was never available in the UK, that HAD to have a cat.

Alan...

John

How does putting a spacer inbetween the sensor and decat pipe work?

Anonymous

Quote from: "John"How does putting a spacer inbetween the sensor and decat pipe work?

It moves the sensor out of the airflow so changes the reading.

Note this should only be done to the post cat sensor as its job is to check cat efficiency. Doing this to the pre cat sensors will screw your mixture as those are used for trim

I use a spacer on mine and it's been perfect

Tags: