Which New Speakers

Started by ColinC, May 3, 2015, 11:00

ColinC

I have searched through the posts and am looking for a recommendation for new speakers. I have the original head unit which I may replace in the future, but as I am replacing the door cards I thought I would change the speakers as well. There is a lot of noise in the car so dont know the value of putting very good speakers in and cant sample listen to them to know which are good. I have a budget of up to £40 and want to have a straightforward replacement with minimum work, leaving the standard plastic grill on the doors if I can. I have a wide taste range in music so dont need a heavy bass bias, as I am one of the older generation.

Thanks
Colin

Fin

I am very happy with my Edge 306 speakers. Would  have been a straight swap, if someone hadn't previously messed around with my stereo.
Good all-round performance, and a nice sound for the money (a bit of searching got me a set for under £30).
I think quite a few of us have them on here. I believe there is always a bit of messing around to get the brackets to fit, as the originals had the brackets built-in.
While swapping the speakers, it is worth soundproofing the doors. Makes as much difference as the new speakers, and gives a much better sound.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

puma2

+1 on soundproofing makes so much difference on sound, would be the 1st thing i would do with the door cards off
lots of people have have focal speakers in, they are excellent but at a price £100+

you will find named speakers in around the £50 price bracket not that will help you choose sorry

Anonymous

There is a good guide on here with pics and instructions how to add some "meat" to the doors using some roofing tape.

We did this on our car and fitted some infinity speakers which really made a difference. We also added a small subwoofer in the rear bin (the type with an amplifier built in). It didn't give booming sounds, it just filled the low down sound and really made the music sound complete. I didn't think that sound would be possible in the mr2 but for around £100 it was well worth it

ColinC

Thanks for the advice, I had bought some flashing yesterday after reading the thread about speakers, and am going to do the doors as well as the bulkhead and transmission tunnel. Meeerrk you lost me on subwoofer as last time I bought speakers and a head unit, CD's were new.

Colin

Anonymous

Sorry  s:) :) s:)

Fit the flashing and some half decent speakers, you'll be pleasantly surprised...then come back and ask again if you feel you still want a bit more  s:) :) s:)

ColinC

Will do cheers

Colin

Chabsy

I have been looking around for speakers, I like the spec on the hertz. Hertz Dieci DCX 165.3 2-way Coaxial they have a built in tweeter will these work? Or do i need a seperate componant speaker

Craikeybaby

On my 2004 car there are separate tweeters, they are higher up on the door card, nearer to ear level. It messes with the sound stage when the tweeters are too low down.

Tags: