From Honda VTEC to VVTi

Started by Anonymous, November 2, 2004, 18:12

Anonymous

Hi I have just bought a 53 MR2 and love it I used to have an Accord Type R so am used to the variable valve engines I thought, the Accord used to pick up at about 6000 rpm and fly, the Mr2 is more torque below revs but when it gets above 5000 revs it sought of tapers off and the pull of the engine slows like a flat spot is this correct, should the car react like a Honda ie get faster after 5000 revs or is this the way the Toyota VVTi works.

Bongo

I beleive the VVT-i acts to give more torque in the low end.

Toyota VVTL-i (as in the Celica 190) acts more like VTEC.

Anonymous

vvti is in its most basic state, an ajustable cam gear, advancing the timing at low rpm and retarding and high.  The vtec is 2 cam lobes, yada yada yada....

Might I suggest 2ZZ GE with VVTLi , L meaning lift and putting in that vtec flavor.  

-Philip

Anonymous

cant say my '2 has a flat spot after 5k revs, infact, id say thats when the fun begins!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

i think the 1ZZ has a fairly square torque band, pulling all the way to 7k in every gear

Anonymous

Not tried a VTEC, so can't draw comparison, but mine picks up at about 4000, and keeps flying until just before the redline.  There's plenty of torque above 2000rpm also, but you get a bit of an extra push at 4000.

Anonymous

When I get mine to 5000rpm I'll let you know  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tomr2"i think the 1ZZ has a fairly square torque band, pulling all the way to 7k in every gear

I agree with Tomr2.

The 1ZZ engine was designed to have about as much low and mid range torque as a 2l engine (according to the engine design paper). However the max power range (not torque!) is above 5000 rpm (up to about 6700 rpm).

If you have the originally designed gear box (fitted on all '2s except the Euro model) you will stay right in the power band throughout the gears.

But a Type R V-TEC engine is much different and will behave more like Toyota's VVTL-i (2ZZ) engine. i.e. pretty average torque in low and mid range but with power increasing dramatically above 6000 rpm...

Anonymous

go to http://www.toysport.com

click on "tech info" and then "1zz-fe/2zz-ge"

there you will find a great write-up on the two engines

kev

Tags: