I'm trying to find a TTE exhaust

Started by ashtons99, July 21, 2015, 17:41

ashtons99

Crikey it sounds like you had a tussle!  I think it will probably have been the new gasket ring causing the difficulty. I think the bolts are a standard length. I managed to re use all my fasteners. I just cleaned the threads on them on the brush wheel. Like you I accounted for every one with no spares!!
I'm just awaiting a bracket to be fabricated.
I'm guessing the undertray will need trimming I offered it up loosely so got to figure that one out

Amarlborough

Nicely done gentlemen,   s:D :D s:D  

Itching to get mine done, but rain & wife stopped play today!

Also want to take the opportunity to treat any rust on the rear member & ARB before I install it.

Are you both pleased with the sound it makes?

ashtons99

Ah it's been dry here all day "up north" so job finished ....apart from aforementioned undertray tailoring. I persuaded my wife to allow me to drive her car for testing purposes and I have to say the exhaust is surprisingly unintrusive.  All through the power band it is quite sedate with no loudness or annoying frequency. It sounds quite loud on start up tick over until the revs settle down but on the road even with the roof down its very civilised. Certainly no good for anyone who likes to announce their arrival

stargazer30

I did my arb and subframe whilst the exhaust was out too with Black and silver hamerite.  It's a good idea to slow down any rust.

As for cutting the nappy it's not hard.  A strong pair of kitchen sissors will do it.  There's a screw fitting directly above the rhs tail pipe, leave that in and trim a curve from just right of this hole to allow the nappy to clear the pipe.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

ashtons99

Quote from: "stargazer30"I did my arb and subframe whilst the exhaust was out too with Black and silver hamerite.  It's a good idea to slow down any rust.

As for cutting the nappy it's not hard.  A strong pair of kitchen sissors will do it.  There's a screw fitting directly above the rhs tail pipe, leave that in and trim a curve from just right of this hole to allow the nappy to clear the pipe.

I thought I might be able to retain that fastening point above the pipe. Thanks for that.

stargazer30

Guys,

well the 2s had its first decent drive after fitting mine and getting a bit paranoid now.  Its louder than I remember (had one on my previous MR2 before I went turbo).  I checked it for leaks and could not find any after I fitted it so it could just be me.

Its fairly quiet up the RPM range and it has a throaty rumble on tick over which, as I recall, is all normal.  The bit that has me thinking is pulling away or when you first start to rev above idle.  it has a pronounced low bassy boom until you clear about 2500rpm.  I swear I heard it pop a few times too which there's no way it should do with the main cat in place.  The car also feels a tad quicker, which again is all wrong as this exhaust should have no performance gain at all.   I supose that could be down to the shell v-power I put in it, its only had supermarket fuel in it since I got it a month ago.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Amarlborough

For the muffler tip clamps what did u torque them too?

Muffler is in, just tips to go!

Stargazer I've never heard a TTE exhaust in action, once I get mine fired up I will compare.

How are you testing for leaks too?

Cheers

stargazer30

Quote from: "Amarlborough"How are you testing for leaks too?

Cheers

Soapy water in a spray bottle and watch for bubbles, but for mine I used the very scientific method of holding my hand around the joint with it running and couldn't feel any air.  (Only do this with it cold   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  )

Its seems to bedded in okay now, I'm happy with it   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

ashtons99

I used some high temp silicone on the faces of the O ring seals on assembly. It's good stuff and rarely fails to prevent leaks

Amarlborough

Thanks for the info,

def got a leak on the main donut gasket (muffler/cat connection). I could see water dripping off!   s:| :| s:|  

Undid it & tried to re seat it, but it is still doing it! Could you both still see the metal gasket?

I'm torquing both spring nuts to 32 ft lb as stated in the online guide.

Any ideas?

ashtons99

Quote from: "Amarlborough"Thanks for the info,

def got a leak on the main donut gasket (muffler/cat connection). I could see water dripping off!   s:| :| s:|  

Undid it & tried to re seat it, but it is still doing it! Could you both still see the metal gasket?

I'm torquing both spring nuts to 32 ft lb as stated in the online guide.

Any ideas?
Did you make sure the face of the exhaust where it mates up to the manifold gasket was clean. I wire wooled mine. I didn't use any gasket seal and used the old gasket but didn't have any issues. You could use high temp silicone which will seal.

Amarlborough

Yep made sure it was clean.

The tail pipe seals are good.

The new gasket seems too thick for the muffler pipe to go over the top. I'll double check
It's the right gasket & I'll give it another later on in the week,

Knew it was going to easy!  s:D :D s:D  

Thanks for the info guys

ashtons99

Quote from: "Amarlborough"Yep made sure it was clean.

The tail pipe seals are good.

The new gasket seems too thick for the muffler pipe to go over the top. I'll double check

Knew it was going to easy!  s:D :D s:D  

Thanks for the info guys
I used the old gasket without a problem, try just using the original if you still have it

stargazer30

Quote from: "Amarlborough"The new gasket seems too thick for the muffler pipe to go over the top. I'll double check

I used a new gasket and yes it is quite big and no the exhaust doesn't fully cover it.  Well what I mean is you can't see the gasket when fitted but the exhaust plate and cat plate section don't meet flush.  I don't think silicone or gasket seal is a good idea either as this is a moving part.  The joint moves under load, that's what the springs are for to keep tension on it.

I don't have a torque wrench so I just tightened it up using the springs as a guide, the same as what it was like when I took it off.  The springs were about half compressed.

Edit - this is the part no I used - Part# 17451-22060. Also I had to tap the gasket onto the cat with a hammer gently to make sure it was right down, was a tight fit.

ashtons99

The two faces of the manifolds don't meet. They sit about 8mm apart. Silicone will do the job it will tolerate what small movement there is between the interfacing parts

Amarlborough

Thanks for all the help, it's in & working as it should.

Not sure what I did! Removed it & tried again this time it was perfect.

Exhaust after I had refurbished it...

And on car...

Just got to either have the 4th bracket fabricated or make it my self.

Sounds much better, looking forward to driving it!

Another TTE transplant successfully completed!   s:D :D s:D

ashtons99

Good result. I'm hopefully getting 2 or 3 of the brackets fabricated so will let you know

Amarlborough

Def would b interested!!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Tags: