Weigh your car for less than a tenner - at home!

Started by Jrichards20, September 15, 2015, 09:35

mr-ed_smt

Quote from: "rbuckingham"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Well I'm happy to be bucking the Trend - I've lost 20kg this year (since jan) so my car should be faster than ever when I finally get to use it  s:D :D s:D

What's your secret, every mr2 needs to know.
He's spend so much money on the car he can't afford to eat??
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

StuC

That or its the stress of the transplant.
Either way, good result Mark.  s:-D :-D s:-D
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

shnazzle

3 peanut butter kitkats worked away in a few hours  s:( :( s:(  the shame. Oh the shame.

Not going to be corner weighting my car in the next few weeks
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-ed_smt"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Well I'm happy to be bucking the Trend - I've lost 20kg this year (since jan) so my car should be faster than ever when I finally get to use it  s:D :D s:D

Yes! Hahaha

Anonymous

Quote from: "StuC"That or its the stress of the transplant.
Either way, good result Mark.  s:-D :-D s:-D

The stress was enough to turn any man back to a bag of Harribo or 5  s:D :D s:D

StuC

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Jrichards20

Quote from: "mr-ed_smt"

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

the money that you would have spent to reduce the weight of the 2 may have cost more than what it's cost you to loose a few pounds. Silver lining and all  s;) ;) s;)
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

This is very true

TiM3

I had my car weighed today, it was 958kg with a full tank of fuel.
2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

Jrichards20

Woh that's light, mine came in at 980 with half a tank.
Street Triple 765 RS

TiM3

I've not got anything to compare it against so wasn't sure if it was light or not. That is with no driver though?
2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

Anonymous

That's pretty good Tim, did you get it corner weight set up or was it just a weigh?

Jrichards20

Yep mine was without driver as well.

That's with all that additional bracing and a half cage? I suppose you've made a fair amount of weight loss with the engine compartment and soft top removal.
Street Triple 765 RS

TiM3

Yes it was corner weighted yesterday at Blink Motorsport.

Removal of all interior trim and carpets, sound deadening, hood, OEM battery, frunk, tool kit and spare has obviously helped. Also a lot of weight came out of the engine bay, the exhaust and cats were very heavy compared to the new setup, even things like the EVAP and induction bits were quite heavy. Even little things like removing most of the rear bumper will have contributed I suppose.

Anonymous

Nice one, looking pretty serious Tim  s:) :) s:)

Topdownman

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Woh that's light, mine came in at 980 with half a tank.

How did you find the weight distribution between the wheels?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

TiM3

Front 43.4%
Rear 56.6%

Full tank of fuel I expect was also making it a bit heavier at the rear.

Topdownman

I have just been reading the Top Gear hot hatch test and they weighed all the cars on 4 sets of scales, the least accurate was the clio 220, supposed to weigh 1204kg and they weighed their one at 1277kg so a massive 73kg out!

Very interesting I thought in view of the VW situation.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

TiM3

Yep, the big manufacturers have been getting away with all sorts for years, it's the same with the mpg claims that you can't even get close to!

Anonymous

Quote from: "TiM3"Front 43.4%
Rear 56.6%

That's interesting. Have you got a track day booked to try it all out?

I need to find somewhere to set mine up too.

HUTTY

Having read this post I thought I would give it a go as we know the race car weight with me in it from the circuits which is
race car , me and quarter of a tank of fuel 1008kilos (Regulation minimum weight 1000 kilos )

two sets of scales under each wheel with me in the car and a quarter of a tank of fuel they all added up
to 1017 kilos of which I thought that was very close to what we know

So we altered the coil overs to get the best results we could with me in the car and came out at this

Front left 201 kilos                   front right 257 kilos

rear left 280 kilos                     rear right 279 kilos

left side front to rear 42% -58%    right side front to rear 48% - 52%

those figures are best we could get so the next job is to shift weight around
So it does work for under £40
The only thing I noticed was with two scales and a bit of would between them for the wheel to split the load I was expecting both scales
to read the same but they did not but the figures added up ok

TiM3

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"
Rear 56.6%

Oulton Park tomorrow Mark, thought it'd be better to go to a track I know well whilst I get used to the car again! Looks like I might get a dry day too..

Anonymous

Quote from: "HUTTY"Having read this post I thought I would give it a go as we know the race car weight with me in it from the circuits which is
race car , me and quarter of a tank of fuel 1008kilos (Regulation minimum weight 1000 kilos )

two sets of scales under each wheel with me in the car and a quarter of a tank of fuel they all added up
to 1017 kilos of which I thought that was very close to what we know

So we altered the coil overs to get the best results we could with me in the car and came out at this

Front left 201 kilos                   front right 257 kilos

rear left 280 kilos                     rear right 279 kilos

left side front to rear 42% -58%    right side front to rear 48% - 52%

those figures are best we could get so the next job is to shift weight around
So it does work for under £40
The only thing I noticed was with two scales and a bit of would between them for the wheel to split the load I was expecting both scales
to read the same but they did not but the figures added up ok

That's pretty cool thanks for testing it out for us!

Anonymous

Quote from: "TiM3"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"
Rear 56.6%

Oulton Park tomorrow Mark, thought it'd be better to go to a track I know well whilst I get used to the car again! Looks like I might get a dry day too..

Yes weather is looking good, I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes. Best of luck

jonty

Tim that's not bad accuracy, all things considered. If you can get corner weights off a proper set of scales and compare that'd be good to know if it is an over reading of 1.3kg per scale, or if there is a bigger variance.

Any plans to optimize the weight balance using the individual spring heights? My motorsport lecturer said get the diagonals balanced in preference to the L/R. It'd be good to see if you can move e.g. 20kg over the front left, and see if you can notice this in your laptimes..

Tags: