ODB2

Started by james276, June 3, 2016, 22:11

james276

Hello helpful folk,

My engine management light came on today. I have an ODB2 reader (one of the ELM 327 cheapo ones) running Torque on my phone, however Torque/ my phone doesn't connect to the ODB2 reader in the MR2

I've tried the same ODB2 reader and phone combo on a Fiesta and it works fine, so to me that suggests the issue is with the MR2

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve?

AndyM

Very strange. I have run exactly that combo before and it worked fine. Currently use my iPhone with dashcmd and a wifi OBD2 adaptor and that also works well. Maybe try things like syncing it with/without the engine running, etc...
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

shnazzle

Had the same issues. Got another adapter and now I can use it in my mr2, but only using Torque. Dashcommand no longer works.

It seems to be a case of getting the right combination

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

SombreroPeak

I'm looking at the Tachyon T1 which is apparently the only one which supports Toyota?
\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

AndyM

Quote from: "SombreroPeak"I'm looking at the Tachyon T1 which is apparently the only one which supports Toyota?

Never heard of the Tachyon T1 (it has a name so sounds expensive  s;) ;) s;)  ) but I can say that I've had 3 (a wired, BT and WiFi) cheapo ones from eBay (and used them torque on Android and DashCmd on iOS) and they have all worked perfectly well. It seems there is this issue with some combinations unfortunately but on the whole I think most people have found the cheap ones work okay.

SombreroPeak

I'd not heard of it either, not that I know much about these anyway, but looked up ODBII for Toyota and they came up. Not massively expensive - check ebay number 261564951470.

Thetroublemaker

would it be anything to do with very early cars - OBD2 was only made mandatory in 2001 in the EU so 2000 cars could well be not to spec properly? i know some/all MR-S are not OBD 2 and are OBD proprietary connections.

james276

I've ran out of ideas...

tried multiple android apps
>torque
>dashcommand
>elm scan Toyota

Tried pairing my laptop
>OBD Auto Doctor
>Scantool.net

Each time my device will pair (mobile or laptop) but the ECU won't 'talk'

AndyM

Quote from: "james276"Each time my device will pair (mobile or laptop) but the ECU won't 'talk'

Is it definitely a UK spec MR2 (not an MR-S import)?

james276

Quote from: "AndyM"
Quote from: "james276"Each time my device will pair (mobile or laptop) but the ECU won't 'talk'

Is it definitely a UK spec MR2 (not an MR-S import)?

Was wondering this myself, though the 'date of first registration' and 'date of first registration in the uk' are the same date in the V5C so mustn't be an import. No other signs like the indicator stalk being on the right either

Having spent a silly amount of time on the browsing the internet today there's numerous examples (Toyota and non Toyota) of people being able to pair the OBD reader and their phone, but not getting the ECU to talk. However haven't see a solution to the issue so have bought a U480 code reader in the hope I'll get a better result!

james276

Just to close this off in case anyone's asking the same question in future, the U480 reader worked with no faf.

Might still persevere with finding a Bluetooth reader as the functionality of Torque looks interesting

Anyway,next on the 'to do' list is a new 02 sensor purchase

suj

Quote from: "james276"Just to close this off in case anyone's asking the same question in future, the U480 reader worked with no faf.

Might still persevere with finding a Bluetooth reader as the functionality of Torque looks interesting

Anyway,next on the 'to do' list is a new 02 sensor purchase

I've got this one:
 m https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 m

It works fine with my FL and scans well and works with Torque, do you work at JLR Gaydon as well? If so drop me a PM and I can come test it on your car / your phone.

SombreroPeak

Thanks for the link, I've just bought what looked like their last one. Arrives tomorrow so will be interested to see how well it works.

I had absolutely no luck getting any reply from the Tachyon people about compatibility with their unit and our cars, so obviously they're not gagging for business... I'll take mine elsewhere!

SombreroPeak

A quick up-date, having trouble getting it to pair with my phone, so no good yet. I'm guessing its a phone BT issue...need to check my settings more, if not it'll be going back to Amazon.

suj

I have a Sony Z5 and it doesn't actually "pair" with my phone as in when you connect to a Bluetooth device like a stereo.

But then when you go into Torque (I have Torque Pro) and it connects perfectly fine.

Edit: this is after the first time you pair with it, I used code 1234

SombreroPeak

Aha, I also have a Sony, Z2 so will try that, thank you.

tets

I use a hardwired lead I bought for my old Alfa 159 (only a fiver if i remember rightly) with my laptop with Scantool (free) - reads and lets me reset on both the MR2 and my Subaru Legacy

insx

I bought 2 cheap dongles off ebay that wouldn't talk to the ECU and finally got one (a white one) that would.

Tags: