Drilling into the top cubbyhole

Started by Topdownman, June 16, 2016, 21:48

Topdownman

Has anyone drilled an access hole for wires into the cubbyhole?

I am wanting to do this but hoping someone knows the best location to drill through as just a bit concerned I could drill into something!

Can anyone advise the best place?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tomo70

What you upto Simon,
Used a small hole saw without the drill bottom right corner. Did look around the back using recorder on mobile phone.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Mikeymead

I have Simon, I drilled through the left hand lower edge about 2 inches from the front to route my sat nav cable through
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

gazza1286

Remove the glove box - you'll then have greater confidence about where to drill.

Topdownman

Thanks for the replies, looks like I have some options!

Taking out the glove box is a good plan. Probably best to not use a normal drill bit either but something shallower like you suggest, I will see what I have got.

I am looking to move my rear view camera up there and possibly my tyrepal charging cable too so will need a reasonable size hole.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

vx220

Any updates on this?

Topdownman

I drilled through on the left hand side by the stop, hopefully you can see here;

I had to make quite a big hole for the 3 phono plugs to fit through so its not very pretty! You cant see where it comes out but you can have a feel around the area first if you take the glovebox out to give you confidence there are no wires behind.

I have just taped my reserving camera to the inside of the cubbyhole lid and it rests on the sticky plastic pad that comes with the tyrepal monitor (I cut it in half) and doesnt go anywhere and works fine for now until I get time to play with something that looks a bit better. I can lift it off the sticky base and shut the cubbyhole if I wanted to hide it but havent bothered often.

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

vx220

Brilliant, thank you

Considering putting my miniDSPs up there, will have a play round when boy wonder starts college!

Tags: