Air intake comparison

Started by shnazzle, February 19, 2017, 20:03

lamcote

I suspect you will only see gains with this setup if you are using a pretty highly tuned engine, unfortunately I suspect on anything else it may well reduce torque, although probably only slightly.
If you watch the Engineering Explained or Mighty Car Mods videos, anything that helps top end power usually hurts low power and vice versa. I suspect this means that if you are putting high flow intake stuff onto a largely standard engine you will only get the downside because you never flow enough air to get the benefits.
I am thinking that the only bolt on items worth going for on an engine that won't be revving up to or well past 7,500rpm are (in order of benefit):
ECU
High flow cat (PPE being best)
Cat back exhaust
Stage 1 cam
Zero manifold
markiii pipe??

If you rebuild the bottom end and valve gear for high revs you can add:
Stage 2 cam
Higher compression ratio
Bigger valves?
Bored throttle body
Intake upgrade

This will be a powerful motor but probably with poor low end torque.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

shnazzle

Yeah I have no interest in creating a 1zz version of a 2zz. I want low down torque.

Nigel's once made a setup that was "low" on HP but had a great torque curve. That's my preference

The way it is now makes me a happy camper  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

loadswine

Also, that MAF tube isn't identical to stock, from memory. Main thing is how it feels in use and I am guessing that its good.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

shnazzle

Quote from: "loadswine"Also, that MAF tube isn't identical to stock, from memory. Main thing is how it feels in use and I am guessing that its good.  s;) ;) s;)

Spot on! It feels brilliant. And sounds brilliant.
As Nic told me today; I need to stop over-analysing things. But, I can't help find this all very interesting  s:D :D s:D  The effect of this, that and the other thing on the numbers. I'm a numbers kind of guy

As for the MAF tube, yes indeed it is different. But what I found striking was that the hurricane figures were similar to the numbers of my DIY eBay cone setup. So, the voltage figures don't tell the full tale, that's for sure.
3.98 on the Hurricane and 3.92 on the ebay cone. When the stock and K&N panels in with markiii pipe do 4.6ish volt.

Odd. I'd love someone to explain it
...neutiquam erro.

loadswine

Temperature of the intake air may have a bearing on things too. I would expect the cone to have a higher temperature, than that of the Hurricane, which, on the move, is pretty close to ambient.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

Remember that the stock maf tube has veining which causes air flow to be squeezed into the maf ergo higher velocity but lower volume.
The Hurricane has no veining so air flow will record less but volume will be higher due to the lack of restriction.
Which is actually ok with a piggyback or PFC ECU as you can map accordingly
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

lamcote

If the Hurricane is causing the maf to record a different air mass to the standard tube for the same actual flow, wouldn't it be essential to remap the ECU in order to get the engine running properly?

shnazzle

My ebay cone was using the stock maf with vanes. But the distance from maf to TB is much shorter.

Too many variables.
Bear in mind I do have the emanage adding 7-11% air depending on area.

This seems to work best. Although my starts are a bit rough since the Hurricane and TB.

Isn't it just the simple concept of big opening/low pressure vs small opening/high pressure?

With cone/Hurricane the pressure is lower. Less mass
Less voltage?

Dunno.
...neutiquam erro.

Wabbitkilla

Get it mapped
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

lamcote

But as you say, if it is lower pressure it should be moving faster so the mass should be the same. The fact that the engine is running OK strongly suggests that the maf itself is seeing the same amount of mass flow with all the different options at any given time, if it wasn't the mixture would be wrong wouldn't it?
Can you monitor intake air temperature to see if that is having an effect?
If you are getting less mass and therefore less voltage (and you are definitely at WOT for all options) that must equate to less power output. Either because the air is hotter or the flow is lower?

shnazzle

The air must be cooler. There's no other way really. There is no way the hurricane with ducting straight to the side vent and the filter enclosed in an aluminium case runs the air hotter than an open cone sitting behind the battery of the airbox sitting in the hot engine bay.

Went for a spin with Helen yesterday and she confirmed the noticeable increase in power, so it's there.

I did tweak the map for the hurricane/throttle body. It was idling at like 1300rpm when warm and had a rough as f00k start.
Also, I tried advancing the timing a bit a while back, higher in the rpm range. But this made no difference. If anything power fell a bit flat.
Yesterday I upped it again from about 2.5k rpm through 4.5k and it increased pull. I did the same on Stew's car and the same effect was there. His was a bit more dramatic as he can confirm. So I think the hurricane allows the engine to breathe better, earlier on, and through the high rpm, if the exhaust supports this.
Stew's car kept pulling where mine slowed a bit over 5.5k-ish. I reckon that's his aftermarket manifold vs my gutted stock.

I used to get a bit of fuel smell as well and that's completely gone. So I can probably up the fueling a bit. Or, reduce the airflow adjustment map. Stop pretending more air is coming in, because more air is actually coming in!

The gains aren't worth me spending 400 quid on a remap for the emanage in my opinion. But I reckon there's a good bit of power to be gained from a standalone fuel management and wideband setup.
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

When you mention a noticeable increase in power, do you mean an increase that is solely attributable to the Hurricane?

shnazzle

No. I dare say it's mostly the TB
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

OBD2 working and I can confirm that the hurricane does indeed pretty much run in the air at ambient temperature to a few degrees over. Very nice! 9 degees outside and on the dual carriageway I was seeing 10 degrees intake temp. Can't compalin about that eh?
When sitting around stationary it'll go up to 30 after a long run. So, there's a fair bit of stationary heat soak. Second any air starts coming into those vents it goes down quickly.

What does it mean? Colder air = denser air = more volume.

The open cone will have suffered the same effects but much worse. So when driving around I'm guessing it'll have been a couple degrees over ambient behind the battery, which is great. But once stationary, it'll be going over 35 degrees or so probably. And that's on a cold day of 9deg celcius.

I remember ages ago the stock airbox, with no mods, got me up to 42deg once on a hot summer day and that was while moving around town in the Lakes.

Any comparison with previous tests unfortunately will need to be redone. Maybe this is a job for a meet. Find cars with various mods and log them separately on the same drive  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Jacobsprky

Hi there interesting results. A question really, id previously seen images of this

[attachment=0:355rmq8x] ia0 intake.jpg ia0 [/attachment:355rmq8x]

FGROBS car i think. Logic says that a smooth pipe vs ribbed would flow better right? As im planning to keep stock air box is this a worthwhile mod or mostly eye candy? looks neat tho! also when i had the tb hose of im sure was a sort of gauze/mesh infront of tb. Could this be removed without ill affects?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Jacob
01 Silver PFL

shnazzle

I was wondering about that mesh as well. I can only assume it's to make the airflow as turbulent as possible. Although, I was under the impression that's what piston crown design was for. The VAG engines have swirl flaps for this. Not sure what the 1zz has to be honest. Never looked at the intake manifold.
I've got some documentation on it so will give it a read.

The intake as above is one of the best setups I reckon.
Without the growl of a more open setup that is. This will have great flow, be quiet and be reasonably heat resistant. So if you can't be bothered with the noise, this is the way forward
...neutiquam erro.

woodypk

Speaking of air intake comparisons...

I got my shnazzle Intake fitted yesterday and the sound above 3800rpms really is smile inducing.

The only important Air intake comparison to me is as follows....

Me before:  s:) :) s:)  

Me now:   s:D :D s:D  

Thanks a bunch!
Black W reg standard - Gone
Sable 06 Reg turbo - staying forever

If I were to add up how much I'd spent on my car, I still wouldn't be able to afford a new Vauxhall Corsa - And I know which one I'd rather have...

shnazzle

Told you!  s:) :) s:)  It's great isn't it? Hehe. And if it helps, in voltage, it only flowed about 0.07 measured volt on the MAF less than the expensive Hurricane intake I have now. Same kind of weather conditions.

Enjoy!
...neutiquam erro.

Jacobsprky

i thought the mesh was there in case some numpty dropped something in there! shows my knowledge! if you guys rate that intake, Guess what ill be piecing together! Let is know if you have and results about the mesh, Cheers Jacob. Thanks
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

my own research, ( cap weir) comments he removed the mesh. clever guy thought of the maf mod after all. also have you thought of doing the tb coolant bypass? will be doing mine. should keep thinks a bit cooler. Not recommended for places with allot of cold weather in case it freezes up! Jacob
01 Silver PFL

shnazzle

Hmm.. I might remove it then  s:) :) s:)  Why not eh.

As for the coolant bypass, I'd rather not.
Might be absolutely fine in the summer but it's my daily.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Found a thread on the throttle body heating and coolant bypass.
Seems "safe" to do.
Also realised that the IAT sensor is in the MAF, which is obviously before the TB. So, I guess IAT is always a bit higher than it says because it has to go past a hot TB first.

However.... How much difference is a little tiny coolant flow making to airflow when the TB is right next to a raging hot block?

If you ask me, that bypass is utterly useless for the intents of power once the engine is hot.

But I'll do it anyway haha.
As for the mesh; Toyota calls it a gasket. There are 2,but I'm guessing there's a reason for 2 gaskets.

So I'm guessing it would be a case of dremeling the mesh out of the gasket instead of removing it full stop
...neutiquam erro.

Jacobsprky

every little helps lol. plus a cheap mod i will just link the coolant pipes together where they are, in case future owner wants to reconnect them. Jacob
01 Silver PFL

shnazzle

Quote from: "Jacobsprky"every little helps lol. plus a cheap mod i will just link the coolant pipes together where they are, in case future owner wants to reconnect them. Jacob
That was my plan as well. Just need to get a connector. Ebay will help me  s:) :) s:)  

I'll try to remove the gasket. If unmetered air is coming in I'll see the signs soon enoigh
...neutiquam erro.

Jacobsprky

i sure i have something in the shed of junk that will help me out there!
01 Silver PFL

Tags: