Where is coolant engine drain plug?

Started by Bodgeroo, March 11, 2017, 20:50

Bodgeroo

Hi I am in the middle of a coolant change and understand there is a drain plug on the back of the engine block. Does anyone know where this is or ideally have a picture?

Thanks

JoeCool

I didn't undo mine when I did my coolant change. I drained all the coolant from the bottom bolts at the front end of the hard pipes that run under the car. I got 10Litres out and put 10 litres back in that way to full.

I didn't find bleeding it a pain, I just ran it with the back of the car as high as I could get it for about 10 minutes, topped it up and checked it the next day. It's been fine for over a year now.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Bodgeroo

Happy to just undo those bolts if that does it. May try that tomorrow. I've drained 7 litres out of it so far and emptied the radiator (this adds up to the 7 litres). Suspect there is more in there. Jacked up the back of the car but no more came out. Reservoir was full when I started.

beavisrules

It's on the 'front' under the exhaust manifold. Tap like thing with maybe 10mm head.
Don't think it'll get more out really , maybe you have some stuck in the heating?.

with the rad plug(s) removed and pointing slightly downhill it should mostly drain out. squish the pipes underneath to check.

Bodgeroo

@joecool removing those two bolts did it for me, the rest of it came out fine. Ran out of time at the weekend to finish the job as got distracted with another job but will refill at the weekend.

gazza1286

Bear in mind that if you decide to flush the system with water that any water left in the system (particularly the block) will effectively dilute the concentration of the coolant you add. Consequently using premixed coolant will end up slightly weaker.
You can never get it all out regardless of whether you drain the block as well.

Bodgeroo

Good point gazza. Decided to not flush for that very reason. I bet that gets overlooked quite often.

Tags: