Too much?

Started by Wullie, April 17, 2018, 18:19

Bossworld

So, having been struggling with knee pain recently..

* How much more clearance do you have with the squared bottom (oo-err missus) and do you find you're going lock to lock much in daily driving (e.g. non-square bit hitting your knees).

* Based on your disassembly, does any of the wiring/structure allow for the steering wheel base to be built out an inch or so from it's current position?  Some cars have a steering wheel that's adjustable for reach - I don't need adjustment but I wouldn't mind the wheel being closer to me.

ManInDandism

Quote from: Bossworld on July 23, 2018, 17:35
So, having been struggling with knee pain recently..

* How much more clearance do you have with the squared bottom (oo-err missus) and do you find you're going lock to lock much in daily driving (e.g. non-square bit hitting your knees).

* Based on your disassembly, does any of the wiring/structure allow for the steering wheel base to be built out an inch or so from it's current position?  Some cars have a steering wheel that's adjustable for reach - I don't need adjustment but I wouldn't mind the wheel being closer to me.

Someone else will have to answer the first question as not in my clasps yet.  I think OP @Wullie just says easier to get in and out.  My own rationale being a leggy 6' 4" is that it offers the best compromise whilst still retaining the air bag. Have adapted to being relatively scrunched up and only not nice if car has been sitting in the heat and I'm wearing shorts!

And I would say that there is zero room for manoeuvre in terms of fitment from standard position.  Again, on the grounds of safety, not really something you would want to compromise.  Only solution there would be aftermarket with an appropriate boss assuming you can get this around your friendly local MOT tester.  .
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Wullie

Defo easier to get in an out gents if you employ the 'Slide to the Left, Slide to the Right' method of ingress and egress :)

Also when doing some spirited cornering the 6 o'clock portion of the wheel doesn't wear holes in your crotch/quad area or foul your steering. Depends on your build I suppose.

I'm about 5'11'' and 16st if it helps.

BahnStormer

Quote from: Wullie on July 24, 2018, 10:55
Defo easier to get in an out gents if you employ the 'Slide to the Left, Slide to the Right' method of ingress and egress :)

Also when doing some spirited cornering the 6 o'clock portion of the wheel doesn't wear holes in your crotch/quad area or foul your steering. Depends on your build I suppose.

I'm about 5'11'' and 16st if it helps.

Not going to be able to comment on access, etc for "big people", I'm only 5'9" and a "wiry" 15st... but I would say that even just the flattened bottom makes it a bit easier getting in and out as you've bought yourself ~1" extra leg room when the wheels are straight ahead, BUT I do still find my leg touching the steering wheel if I'm heel'n'toe down-shifting mid-corner (with the wheel turned) - which isn't exactly recommended at the best of times, but it does add to the fun factor :)

Why not contact Royal Steering Wheels and ask about a resized wheel (smaller AND flat-bottom)... I'm sure they could do it, but just at what cost since it will be more than double the cutting and shaping, but I think the leather and tailoring is the main cost.... no harm in asking!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Wullie

Just be midful the smaller the diameter wheel the greater risk of 'binnacle' obstruction - especially if you opt to have it built up in parts.

BahnStormer

Quote from: Wullie on July 24, 2018, 11:17
Just be midful the smaller the diameter wheel the greater risk of 'binnacle' obstruction - especially if you opt to have it built up in parts.

Fair point - but that's a risk with most smaller diameter wheels.... seems like a good reason for 3" exhaust, so you don't need to see the rev counter  :D
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

ManInDandism

Steering wheel now received and installed:

Black 2004 Roadster

ManInDandism

Assuming from subsequent post that my Google Photo images are visible only to myself!  Need an additional step:

..and now they're MASSIVE - will get there in the end  (:< >:)
Black 2004 Roadster

BahnStormer

yep - you're doing a little show for yourself there... I just download, resize and then use the upload feature...

BTW - the magic sponge worked a TREAT for removing the shine on the airbag (and handbrake + gear lever!)...

Tags: