seized brake caliper? (hissing from near back right wheel)

Started by BahnStormer, July 20, 2018, 14:13

Ardent

As much as we like spending other peoples money on these cars. We also dont like to see money spent unnecessarily.
Start at rhe cheap end and work up.

What C said. Lubricate the sliders with the correct lubricant. Certec (spelling?)
Work the piston in and out and few times.
Correctly adjust hand brake.

Handbrake hasnt been adjusted at the hand brake end prior to the heat problem by any chance?

Ardent

BahnStormer

As always , thanks guys!

I didn't want to risk saving money on refurbing the calipers, only to have my new discs snad pads trashed AND to find they're all on their way out and need replacing...

Certec? (for lubing)

Also - I'm keen to supply everything they'll need - if I want to provide some decent brake fluid, then what's the recommendation and how much?
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Carolyn

Ceratec. 

You were close, Jase.

Bahnst: If the garage can't figure out the correct brake fluid, you're in the wrong place.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

BahnStormer

Quote from: Carolyn on July 26, 2018, 15:53

@BahnStormer  If the garage can't figure out the correct brake fluid, you're in the wrong place.

Nah - nothing like that, I just want to supply everything - I'm guessing 5.1 brake fluid? Any recommended brands? I got a single 500ml bottle of the MTEC one as I thought I might end up doing this with the assistance of somebody on the forum (and might just need a slight top-up), but once it looked like a bigger/messier/less straight-forward job, I figured I'd get a pro involved. Now I'm thinking they'll want to change the fluid entirely, but I have no idea how much is required and figured I should buy the right stuff if it's all being replaced properly.

RE the Garage - it's fine, they have a great reputation in the area, plus they're really communicative and happy to just offer advice rather than take people's money. e.g. when I'd already had the car fail the MOT elsewhere (the EML light / lambda sensor / emissions mini-saga) and the first garage just shrugged and said "maybe Cataclean", I found this place and went around and chatted to the owner who apologised for being so busy and offered a lot of the same sort of advice as the forum later gave to me - all for me to look into it for myself - he just suggested that I book the car in (for two weeks' time) and I could cancel if I fixed it myself - which I did :) They were really cool about it all and seemed to know their stuff, so figured I'd send the business their way the next time something came up.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Ardent

Ceratec. 

You were close, Jase.
Still no cigar ;)

BS
Yes for lubing sliders

BahnStormer

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 26, 2018, 16:24

@BahnStormer  If the garage can't figure out the correct brake fluid, you're in the wrong place.

Nah - nothing like that, I just want to supply everything - I'm guessing 5.1 brake fluid? Any recommended brands? I got a single 500ml bottle of the MTEC one as I thought I might end up doing this with the assistance of somebody on the forum (and might just need a slight top-up), but once it looked like a bigger/messier/less straight-forward job, I figured I'd get a pro involved. Now I'm thinking they'll want to change the fluid entirely, but I have no idea how much is required and figured I should buy the right stuff if it's all being replaced properly.

RE the Garage - it's fine, they have a great reputation in the area, plus they're really communicative and happy to just offer advice rather than take people's money. e.g. when I'd already had the car fail the MOT elsewhere (the EML light / lambda sensor / emissions mini-saga) and the first garage just shrugged and said "maybe Cataclean", I found this place and went around and chatted to the owner who apologised for being so busy and offered a lot of the same sort of advice as the forum later gave to me - all for me to look into it for myself - he just suggested that I book the car in (for two weeks' time) and I could cancel if I fixed it myself - which I did :) They were really cool about it all and seemed to know their stuff, so figured I'd send the business their way the next time something came up.

Just to be clear - I wasn't asking "how do I work out what brake fluid I have, so I know what to top up"... I now realise you can't just top up with anything if the previous brake fluid was DOT3 or DOT4... I was wanting to know what the recommended brake fluid would be for mostly* stock hardware and fast road / occasional "light" track use?

*stock calipers and stock lines and Goodridge braided hoses, plus the YS pads and MTEC G&D discs (not that the last two should really matter at all!)...

james_ly

Anything should be fine, I use pagid 5.1 from eurocarparts, cheap enough and fine on track.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

lamcote

You can use anything except DOT 5

DOT 5.1 is fine, probably best.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

BahnStormer

Thanks guys.... and how much is needed for a full flush and replace?

lamcote

I used a full litre to do mine, hopefully that's more than enough?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

K T M Rider

Just in case you do decide to get some refurbed calipers, I think you will find they are alot cheaper from Bigg Red ( prices start at £99 a PAIR ).

However, as Carolyn has said it is also my experience that sticky rear calipers can be revived quite easily just through cleaning and lubing the sliders and brake pad contact points as well as use of a piston wind back tool. I've done this basic brake maintenance on sticky rear calipers on both my current and previous car and in both cases the cars subsequently passed MOTs
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

BahnStormer

Just as a matter of interest, how many hours labour should it be to change discs, pads and swap in braided hoses?

Tags: