Engine steady/damper

Started by Carolyn, March 30, 2019, 10:55

shnazzle

Especially when pulling away. None of that jumpiness. And as said, between shifting up, quite noticeable.

Looking forward to seeing how this compares to edition 1 I've got on.
...neutiquam erro.

Mikeymead

Quote from: Carolyn on April 20, 2019, 09:58
I don't know if it's the picture, but it looks like it's not quite straight.  It should be ok, but ideally the force should be transmitted perpendicular to the engine.

To others:  Take your time marking up where to drill so it all lines up.

I also notice it when slipping the clutch, reversing, and pulling away.

Looking down from the top it is definitely 90 degrees to the engine. As for the height of the rear bracket, this is the same as on the guide so couldn't be mounted any lower, angle of the damper is set by the spacers.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Petrus

Quote from: Mikeymead on April 20, 2019, 11:42
Looking down from the top it is definitely 90 degrees to the engine. As for the height of the rear bracket, this is the same as on the guide so couldn't be mounted any lower, angle of the damper is set by the spacers.

I get what you mean.

Carolyn

The vertical angle was a compromise between being dead flat and having a long spacer putting leverage on the bracket.....

We looked at a few alternatives and decided on this set-up.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Petrus

After fitting and tightening all up; grab the damper housing and fírmly pull/push it to feel if the internals are adjusted tight enough. The internal rubbers need to be done up more than finger tight to eliminate all internal play.

Mikeymead

Few more pictures of my install.

So I hope this is fitted correctly.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Carolyn

Looks OK.

Each engine will sit in the chassis slightly differently.  Yours seems to be sitting a little lower than mine.  I'd be tempted to pop a small washer or two under  the damper at the engine end.

Are your engine mounts soft?

Mikeymead

Quote from: Carolyn on April 20, 2019, 17:04
Looks OK.

Each engine will sit in the chassis slightly differently.  Yours seems to be sitting a little lower than mine.  I'd be tempted to pop a small washer or two under  the damper at the engine end.

Are your engine mounts soft?

Yes I was considering doing just that, I don't think the mounts are that soft, I can barely move the engine.

Carolyn

When they get old - the mounts sag a bit.  Can be as much as 5 mm.  Mine had to be tigersealed to re-centre them.  You can tell by jacking the engine a little and watching the engine mount.

Edit:  Mikey: Unless you've changed the engine mounts they are at least 15 years old.  They WILL be sagging.  I reckon mine (18 years old) came up nearly  1 cm!

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on April 20, 2019, 17:04I'd be tempted to pop a small washer or two under  the damper at the engine end.

I put a narrow washer on both sides of the rose joint bushing to avoid any possible binding when the engine moves. I know, OCD  :-[

Despite slightly damp roads and dark clouds looming, I took the car out. Frogs a re supposed to love water no?!
There is no doubt that the feel is tighter. I did not have any jerkyness on getting started or reversing to begin with but I have to slowly negate the path to/fro the farm house. This is both unflat, at changing angles and a bit undulating so involves on/off the throttle. Only light load changes but it ís responding ... tighter.
On the road, well, not much of a difference if any.
Shifting up while accellerating though a long corner is just that bit tighter as expected.

Then it started raining. Not a downpour, but still real rain. So water on the hard Spanish tarmac = need to pay réal attention.
Accelerating through a bend on the highway shifted up into 5th at 150 km/h: Definitely less of the torque reaction. Mind you, it was nothing unsettling befóre but less gives more confidence under these circumstaces.

So; not changing the car obviously; we are talking marginal gains here; júst that bit tighter under changing loads. The bottom line of that is what you perceive through the bum is once again more directly coming from the whééls! :D

Petrus

shnazzle

Buying the damper now. Had to wait for pay day :)
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Don't omit doing the fore and aft engine mounts, :)

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on May  1, 2019, 18:43

Time, money, skill; real world limitations  ;)

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on May  1, 2019, 19:50
Don't omit doing the fore and aft engine mounts, :)
Quote from: Petrus on May  1, 2019, 19:52
Quote from: shnazzle on May  1, 2019, 18:43

Time, money, skill; real world limitations  ;)
I swear. If you didn't have money problems before, this is the place to get them.. ;)

*sigh* I'll go buy another tube of Tigerseal...
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on May  1, 2019, 20:28
Quote from: shnazzle on May  1, 2019, 20:01
*sigh* I'll go buy another tube of Tigerseal...

What the actual hell... Did you make that? What are the odds of that existing??
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on May  1, 2019, 20:01
I swear. If you didn't have money problems before, this is the place to get them.. ;)

I agree...
Thought I had reached the end of the mods several mods ago.
Yet the wish list grows faster than I can take them off:
Still have to take the exhaust heat shield off. Although that is for free need to make the time to get the rear bumper off.
Also still have the airbag light on.
Oh and the reinforcements I cut out of the bonnet  (:< >:)
The wishes are the lighter flywheel; to be adressed if/when the clutch needs replacing. KATCHING!!
Pass the iTV to get a smalled licence plate approved in the vehicle docs. Katching.
Put lighter seat in. KATCHING!!
Mount a bl@@dy large rear wing. Katching.
By that time I will have added to the list... :-[
Already have a silly one floating in my head. Mind ´head´, not braín, hence silly one: Would lóve to take the rearview mirror out. I took the sunvisors out because they cramped my view. Go figure that mirror...
Etcetera  :-\

shnazzle

Bah. Mine arrived and it's blue! I wanted a red one :(
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Ahhhhhh :'(

I decided to paint mine black. You only need a fraction of a mini can so pick you favorite color and  :D

shnazzle

Just tried to fit mine after having lifted the engine a bit and spent 45 unhappy moments trying to get windscreen adhesive in my mounts.
So, the engine was lifted a fair bit, but I still can't get the bracket high enough on the rear frame. Bit confused. In the pic above, is mine put together correctly?
If my engine has dropped that much that lifting it a fair bit puts it still too low, I might have no choice but to replace my entire mounts with some new ones.

I only had to shave that little corner of the head cover a tiny fraction to make the spacer fit, so that's good.
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on May  6, 2019, 11:07
Just tried to fit mine after having lifted the engine a bit and spent 45 unhappy moments trying to get windscreen adhesive in my mounts.
So, the engine was lifted a fair bit, but I still can't get the bracket high enough on the rear frame. Bit confused. In the pic above, is mine put together correctly?
If my engine has dropped that much that lifting it a fair bit puts it still too low, I might have no choice but to replace my entire mounts with some new ones.

I only had to shave that little corner of the head cover a tiny fraction to make the spacer fit, so that's good.

Ideally the through-bolt at the chassis end should be the other way up.

Try jacking the engine until the sleeve in the mount is absolutely centred vertically.  My mounts had sagged a lot, but the Tigerseal sorted them out.

If the bracket is still too low, tell me by how much and I'll send you a couple of extra spacers and a longer bolt for the chassis end.

Topdownman

Quote from: shnazzle on May  5, 2019, 18:30
Bah. Mine arrived and it's blue! I wanted a red one :(

I feel your pain.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on May  6, 2019, 11:19
Quote from: shnazzle on May  6, 2019, 11:07

Ideally the through-bolt at the chassis end should be the other way up.

Try jacking the engine until the sleeve in the mount is absolutely centred vertically.  My mounts had sagged a lot, but the Tigerseal sorted them out.

If the bracket is still too low, tell me by how much and I'll send you a couple of extra spacers and a longer bolt for the chassis end.
*sigh*
You know what. Sometimes it'd be easier if I just got a pushbike. It's more at my level of intelligence.

I did draw two conclusions;
1) my mounts are too far gone. Without lifting, the engine drops so much that the bracket doesn't fit. Hence the need for more spacers etc. By a good 1.5cm.

2) If I don't get new ones, I need to redo this becauuusseee... I'm an idiot.

How does one do this? Easy!
Lift engine, put goop in mounts, let set fully, drop engine. Enjoy.

How did Patrick do this?
Lift engine, put a stand under the engine MOUNT, put goop in. Walk away happily. Job done.

Except for that, as I said, I'm an idiot, and I put the stand under the engine MOUNT. Not the engine. So, engine jdut dropped back to where it was when I removed the jack. What a tool.

...neutiquam erro.

Tags: