Weight again; side mirrors

Started by Petrus, June 23, 2019, 21:10

Petrus

Tripped over a weight chart with the side mirror weight; 3 kilos each!!!
Stands to reason with the servo motor inside.
Can anyone confirm this?

I only adjusted them ónce and nobody else drive my car.

Anyone put lighter mirrors on?
Suggestions?

StuC

I refer you to my previous post on the look behind sunglasses.

There are some small carbon ones. Manual adjustment. Most that have had them have wanted to change to a larger mirror after living with them for a few months.
I'll see if I can find a link.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

StuC

URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Petrus

Yes, I am familiar with thoe and don´t like them. For one would buy the matt black one and secondly the spindly stem does not do it for me.
I´d prefer to go classic bullet type or say

even the basic Lucas ones.
Can´t weigh more than 0.5 kilo.

Ardent

3kg each.
Find that hard to believe.

steveash

I've always fancied fitting some Vitaloni Sebring mirrors painted body colour in the style of road and track classics like Porsches and Lamborghinis. I think it might suit the MR2 better than classic chrome mirrors or those better suited to a single seater. They're sure to be much lighter but can't say how much you'd see out of them. I also don't know what the legalities are of changing them.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on June 23, 2019, 23:143kg each.
Find that hard to believe.

I was kind of surprised too. Hence my question if anyone has checked/can check with a unit lying about.

Edit: Just read anóther number; 1 kilo... So best first be certain.

It could very well be heavy though as there is a servo motor and gear with swivel in the unit. Also a spring loaded swivel on the head unit and Toyota is not one to design it flimsy. It sure has a rather solid cast metal mounting base.
That also presents a problem as the mounting bolts onto the interor frame and there is a rather large hole in the outer panel:

The mentioned Vitali Sebring are a good suggetion. I had a set in aluminim on a car a long time ago. I thínk it was an Alfa. Also the mirrors on my Pontiac Fiero were of very similar design.
The current ones are as basic as it comes and plastic; can´t be 300 grams even.

The legal issue is unclear but if the unit is unobtrusive and in style with the car it is unlikely to draw attention/comment.

I might go for a set of plastic Sebrings. They are as light as it comes, cheap and crtainly look the part.
Not a fan of painting as that wíll chip on the plastic.
So, chrome or the tectured matt black?

steveash

I think the mounting base may be GRP as one of mine was chipped when I bought the car and underneath it had a cream coloured GRP-like texture. I wonder if these could be cut down?

Petrus

Quote from: steveash on June 24, 2019, 07:59I think the mounting base may be GRP as one of mine was chipped when I bought the car and underneath it had a cream coloured GRP-like texture. I wonder if these could be cut down?

The housing is a fiber reinforced material yes. The internal stucture/mounting bracket with the two integrated studs is a cast metal piece.

Being that the design team went to pretty extreme lengths to design lightness, the unit shoúld be relatively light. Nevertheless, or thus, both the 1 kilo and the 3 kilo numbers seem odd.

Surely there must be someone with a unit lying about.

Carolyn

Yes, I have one 'lying about'.

.8 Kg
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on June 24, 2019, 08:54Yes, I have one 'lying about'.

.8 Kg

Carolyn saving the day, again.
Succinct as ever and problem solved; no go.

Darn Toyota for doing such an incredibly good job at weight saving.

Tags: