Roof treatments

Started by Jay, May 15, 2020, 10:16

Jay

Apologies, the search didn't bring too much up.

My soft top roof is old and starting to perish at the sides but still keeps the water out.  I'm fairly sure a new roof is the answer but wanted to prolong the material for as long as possible.

What products do you folks use to clean and maintain the material?

I'd assume anything that suits exterior plastic is safe enough, or is there specific stuff that's recommended?

Thanks for any guidance!

Call the midlife!

Initial clean with some dilute all purpose cleaner and a softish scrubbing brush, just don't go mad with the APC as it can lift waxes/polishes off the surrounding paintwork.
After that then pretty much anything that you can use to treat exterior RUBBER trim, not so much plastic.
As with anything there's no definitive answer, everyone has there favourite.
I use Autoglym gel but put it on sparingly as it's quite greasy and any excess streaks the glass when it rains off.
Some use boot polish to maintain the colour and shine.
Some swear by 303 as it has a high UV resistance.
Whatever you go with just make sure it's for rubber/vinyl rather than fabric, so avoid any of the tent proofing products such as Nikwax as they just sit on the surface until getting washed/rained off.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

Oh and a product called gummi pflege is good for maintaining the seals around the roof, goes on a bit like a Pritt stick but again can be a bit messy if you get too much on the places you're touching all the time.

Jay

Thank you for such the prompt response!

Will have a rummage in the garage cupboards, fairly sure there's some rubber cleaner left somewhere.  Hadn't even thought about the seals so I'll give them some attention too.

That 303 mentioned is like a tyre dressing yes? 

Call the midlife!

Sorry, the 303 is more of a brand name than a particular product, I was hoping someone would come along and point to the particular product 😆
If it's not massively grubby then ordinary car shampoo will clean it with the aforementioned brush, once you've got it clean and treated you shouldn't have to scrub it again, just wash and occasionally reapply your treatment of choice.

Joesson

@Jay
I, and some others use a product called Aerospace 303, a UV protector for vinyl products.
I searched the www for a link for you, found two products one in a white container,  the one I have specifically for vinyl  and one in a black container for  general automotive use.
As with all things you pay your money and take your pick.
I find that cleaning my roof with a soapy product and a soft nail brush a good rinse and dry and then an application of 303 (from the white container) works for me. But, my hood gets little UV exposure as it is down when it is out of the garage and generally in the garage when up.
The product does not make the roof sticky or shiny.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/303-aerospace-protectant

Call the midlife!

Is that the same one used on the headlights for UV protection as well? Keep saying I'm going to get some but never do.😂

Joesson

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 15, 2020, 12:51Is that the same one used on the headlights for UV protection as well? Keep saying I'm going to get some but never do.😂

I believe others may use some specific headlight treatment but the usage for 303 includes "plastics". I've used it on my headlights and they remained clear, no product build up, but as said my 2 is not a test bed for UV protectant.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on May 15, 2020, 11:23@Jay
I, and some others use a product called Aerospace 303, a UV protector for vinyl products.

@ Joesson, would you still recommend 303 (30308) Aerospace Protectant ? thanks.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on November  7, 2021, 18:16

Hi Tiger!!
Iirc it was @Ardent / Jason that introduced me to the product. As above, I really don't test the UV resistance to extreme, but the ease of use and the non sticky improvement to appearance of a multitude of hard surfaces means I would  certainly buy it again.
The product reviews are from one month to fourteen years ago, and only one in thirty four negative, so not a flash in the pan.
I believe that specific car hood products are typically to suit fabric hoods whereas 303 is specifically to protect vinyl which are OE hood is made from.
As said above, I first wash the hood using soapy water and a bristle brush, rinse off, dry with a Magic cloth and then apply the 303 sparingly.
PS
Also one of the lowest priced " treats" for your 2!

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on November  7, 2021, 18:45
Quote from: TheTigerUK on November  7, 2021, 18:16

Hi Tiger!!
Iirc it was @Ardent / Jason that introduced me to the product. As above, I really don't test the UV resistance to extreme, but the ease of use and the non sticky improvement to appearance of a multitude of hard surfaces means I would  certainly buy it again.
The product reviews are from one month to fourteen years ago, and only one in thirty four negative, so not a flash in the pan.
I believe that specific car hood products are typically to suit fabric hoods whereas 303 is specifically to protect vinyl which are OE hood is made from.
As said above, I first wash the hood using soapy water and a bristle brush, rinse off, dry with a Magic cloth and then apply the 303 sparingly.
PS

Thanks, as you say this will be the next treat for "Jet"

TheTigerUK

[/quote]

Hi Tiger!!
PS

[/quote]

303 arrived today, hopefully get a dry day soon and be able to give it a go.

Do you apply it by spray or by cloth ?

I assume paintwork not affected by it ?

Thanks.

Joesson

@TheTigerUK

Applying with a dry Magic / Microfibre cloth avoids possible overspray, although I've noticed no problems with nearby paintwork and perhaps better controls/ minimises the amount of product used.

Chilli Girl

I can certainly recommend 303, brilliant stuff! ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Lurch

LURCH

TheTigerUK

Done my hood this afternoon and it looks good, I sprayed it on which meant I had to wash the whole car after which was no big deal.

Chilli Girl

Jet's roof will now match the paintwork, lovely. Get some pics up ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Zxrob

Adventure before dementia 😁

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Chilli Girl on November 10, 2021, 17:41Jet's roof will now match the paintwork, lovely. Get some pics up ;D

Not a great photo but looks better in the flesh :)

It had been raining earlier, notice drops on the metal and glass but non on the top, due to this treatment or........ ?

https://i.imgur.com/awhLb4r.jpg

TheTigerUK

The sun was shining so I decided to give the engine bay a bit of a clean and being as the weather was good I put another coat of 303 on the hood.

While I had the 303 out I decided to clean all the interior with it and I have to say I was very impressed with the finish.

Ardent

Lovely stuff.

I really like the; there, but not there look. Just looks fresh. Doesn't look like a product is in use. Clean and simple.

TheTigerUK

So another reasonably sunny day, I had some errands to do and used Jet because its fun :) when I got back it was still sunny so I did the hood again with the 303 and IMO its looking superb, my theory being treat the hood as often as I can before winter sets in and hopefully the treatment will keep the hood good, fingers crossed.

Tags: