Haggling with Mr T

Started by Anonymous, April 18, 2005, 21:19

Anonymous

Hi peeps, first post so be nice  s:) :) s:)

I'm looking into getting myself a nice shiny 03 MR2 from the local Toyota dealer and I'm wondering how far you can push them when it comes to getting a deal out of them!? I know its probably the wrong time of year to be haggling but I just want to know:

a)Do they generally give a fair price for P/X's?

b)Do they move very much on the price they are asking for?

I know this can vary from dealer to dealer but any indication will be helpful as I'm looking to buy at the end of this week! Woohoo!

s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

i think it varies from one dealer to another. when i was looking for one, with one dealer i negotiated a grand off over the phone before i`d seen it, another dealer i went to see would not budge on the screen price at all. even with no p/x, cash or finance i was told " the price of the car is the price on the car"!!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Mr Vexed"Hi peeps, first post so be nice  s:) :) s:)

first of all, Welcome to the club!  s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "Mr Vexed"a)Do they generally give a fair price for P/X's?

had 3 toyota's now and been happy with the p/x's each time, got just under £1000 more than the book price in one case

Quote from: "Mr Vexed"b)Do they move very much on the price they are asking for?

nope, not much in my experience, most i ever got off was the price of metallic paint  s:( :( s:(  

Quote from: "Mr Vexed"I know this can vary from dealer to dealer but any indication will be helpful as I'm looking to buy at the end of this week! Woohoo!

s8) 8) s8)

Good luck, you wont regret it  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

If they won't budge on price, go for sweeteners like road tax, tank full of petrol, carpets etc.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Hey buddy - i'm a newbie too. Try  w www.autobytel.com w . I know they've changed the prices lately but I got my new MR2 RED SE for £16,200, and the book price is £18,000. They are linked to the MRT dealer in Guilford (who weren't great at getting things going, I have to be honest. Much 'i'll phone you back later today, sir', and me having to call them) Worth having a look, even if it's just something to put against your local dealer.

Good luck - whatever you pay, the car will be worth every penny!!

GSB

Always remember this:

You only want ONE car, and there are probabley dozens of dealers within spitting distance of your location...  It doesnt hurt to remind the dealers of this occasionaly either!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Also, never say you are "thinking" about anything. Your attitude should be that you "are" buying an MR2, and if he's lucky, he might get the business... but only if he plays ball on the price. Its all about the mindset.

Prices vary, but you will usually find a junior-ish salesman whos willing to cut nearly all the margin off just to get the sale, which means you only have the PX left to negotiate... I was offered £9000 for my 3 year old import, which was pretty fair, but the dealer 5 miles up the road offered £3K more  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  , so he got the deal... Dont be afraid of shopping around, and if they ever come on with the high pressure sales stuff, "This offer is for today only", gently remind them that you werent born yesterday...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

roger

Quote from: "Markyboy"Hey buddy - i'm a newbie too. Try  w www.autobytel.com w . I know they've changed the prices lately but I got my new MR2 RED SE for £16,200, and the book price is £18,000. They are linked to the MRT dealer in Guilford (who weren't great at getting things going, I have to be honest. Much 'i'll phone you back later today, sir', and me having to call them) Worth having a look, even if it's just something to put against your local dealer.

Good luck - whatever you pay, the car will be worth every penny!!

I'm an Autobytel man as well. The only downside is I get a regular weekly e-mail exorting me to buy one of their extra special offers, do they think I am made of money!! By the way these have never included an MR2   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Just for the record, they have arrangements with MrT at either Nottingham or Guildford. You can choose either. I had excellent service from Nottingham.

Oh, and welcome Marky. You may well get hooked!!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for your posts   s:) :) s:)  

I shall definately be giving Autobytel.co.uk a try if only to use as a stick to bash some more money out of Mr T!

I'm not sure how it all works as I live miles away from the two Autobytel places but I see they do P/X too! Spose I'll have to roll down there one day next week if Mr T wont play ball, bit of a trek from Essex though!

Does anyone know if they're any better or worse for P/X prices than Mr T?

Anonymous

Check out the website as they delivered the car right to my door, and i'm pretty sure they'll take a part x at the same time.

Also, Autobytel are owned by Incape - they own individual Toyota dealerships, and there's one in Battersea that may be closer to you.

Good luck, and let us know how ya get on  s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Toyota are struggling to shift the red special editions  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Toyota are struggling to shift the red special editions  s:? :? s:?

wonder why, i think they look really nice  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Darth Paul

Probably something to do with the 'drank-too-much-red-wine-and-now-I've-puked' colour of the top.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   If it was a deep red like I've seen on MGFs (washes mouth out) then it would've looked great.  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Aww, you've hurt me now   s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  

I am a sensitive young soul!

so.simple

Quote from: "Markyboy"Aww, you've hurt me now   s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  

I am a sensitive young soul!
Ignore Darth Paul, young Padowan... He has joined the dark side!
Carlos

Anonymous

Thanks so.simple.  s:) :) s:)   I think the combination is really nice, but I guess it's all down to personal preference.

Darth Paul

Yep, 'course it's all personal preference. And if you like it that's all that matters.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Well that wasn't a very successful trip to see Mr T!

All was going well until the he told me the P/X price - £2000 under book! Ok its an MG and I was expecting a bit of pain due to the current circumstances but not that much! To add insult to injury he was a bit of a t0sser about it too. I told the guy i'd rather smash it up than give it to him for that pathetic offer. On to the next dealer it is then...............

A big well done to Rayleigh Toyota - you've just lost a certain customer!

Liz

I'll mention it to Andy at Rayleigh in Service when I see him on the 30th!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Hi Guys & Girls

Just a quick tip from my (very recent) experience - I got my brand new '05 cheaper than the '04 2nd hand on the dealer's forecourt by going in 4 days before the end of the month - they were so desperate to shift new regs numbers up for the end of the month, that I managed to get a Crystal Silver '05 they had in stock for nearly £2,000 under list + they fitted a CD changer for free.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "JonnyC"Hi Guys & Girls

Just a quick tip from my (very recent) experience - I got my brand new '05 cheaper than the '04 2nd hand on the dealer's forecourt by going in 4 days before the end of the month - they were so desperate to shift new regs numbers up for the end of the month, that I managed to get a Crystal Silver '05 they had in stock for nearly £2,000 under list + they fitted a CD changer for free.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
What at Steven Eagell's  s:?: :?: s:?:

philster_d

yes tell us more. how much ?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "philster_d"yes tell us more. how much ?
I paid a little more than you but that was at cheaper 2003 prices. £16100 with leather and metallic  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "JonnyC"Hi Guys & Girls

Let us know when you pick her up and I'll show you some worthy mods to consider  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "JonnyC"Crystal Silver :

Congrats on the fastest colour bud  s;) ;) s;)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "bigun007"
Quote from: "JonnyC"Crystal Silver :

Congrats on the fastest colour bud  s;) ;) s;)
Yes well done; silver rules  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: