Scuttle Shake

Started by panderoo, August 6, 2020, 10:23

Petrus

Good you found it.
Confirms my observation about ´scuttle shake´ btw  ;)

I trust you (re-)packed the top mount bearings with grease.

Gaz mr-s

Nylock....I should have remembered that. Koni supplies a thick spring washer.

Petrus

Quote from: panderoo on August 11, 2020, 09:54Yes, I can actually feel the car now without suffering vibration white finger  :-[  :))

Next, delete the p.a.s.

panderoo

Quote from: Petrus on August 11, 2020, 10:19
Quote from: panderoo on August 11, 2020, 09:54Yes, I can actually feel the car now without suffering vibration white finger  :-[  :))

Next, delete the p.a.s.

I have already looked into this and did the power off/on whilst driving and didn't personally like the feel with it off.

If someone finds/makes a proper manual rack i would consider it, but i don't like the modified PAS to manual rack option. 

Petrus

Quote from: panderoo on August 11, 2020, 10:23I have already looked into this and did the power off/on whilst driving and didn't personally like the feel with it off.

If someone finds/makes a proper manual rack i would consider it, but i don't like the modified PAS to manual rack option. 

Just switching it off sees you pump the fluid through the system. Shortcircuiting it feels much more direct. The biggest diffence is conncting the two sides of the piston withing the rack.
All easily done and reconnected. Basically a extra complicated fluid change.

I lóve it: Now I can féél when the grip of the front rubbers is ever so slightly less. Even the rear going is noticeable so much earlier than with the bum.

I don´t need to navigate city traffic though and nor hardly ever park in a tight or complicated spot.

Dev

Quote from: panderoo on August 11, 2020, 10:23
Quote from: Petrus on August 11, 2020, 10:19

Next, delete the p.a.s.

I have already looked into this and did the power off/on whilst driving and didn't personally like the feel with it off.

I have done the PS delete a very long time ago. There is a big difference between turning off the PS vs removing the PS pump and looping the lines. 

Just turning off the PS is horrible and very difficult to turn because there is too much resistance in the small passages of the PS pump. Once its removed and you connect both lines together it feels completely different. 
It reminds me of a VW golf GTI that I owned in my youth that had a manual rack but better because it has a shorter steering ratio. I now have much better feel of what the front tires are doing and the car feels tight. 
  I have got so use to it over the years  I often forget that its a manual until I drive someone else car at a meet and then I feel like the steering is way over boosted with disconnected road feel. 

panderoo

Is there guide or do you have pics of what you have done with looping the lines ? @Petrus @Dev

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on August 11, 2020, 13:02that had a manual rack but better because it has a shorter steering ratio.

Yup. The pas rack is shorter ratio than a manual would be so deleting the pas is win-win imo but, and it can be a butt even, not if you need to tackle a lot of slow city travel and parking.

Over here where tarmac gets literally scorching hot, the grip can be very tricky. For one the tarmac is hard,  because of that often worn smooth and lastly because of 300 sunny days/year can be réal grimey and when it gets wet UFFFF.
Having direct feel of the rubber is só much safer. I can now feel the traction; feel when the car is nearing the limit instead of having to react to it going óver the limit of grip. I can respond to the front getting lighter or the rear pulling befóre the car actually goés.
Quote from: panderoo on August 11, 2020, 13:08Is there guide or do you have pics of what you have done with looping the lines ? @Petrus @Dev

I put it in the members ride section in Southern Belle´s thread Incl. photos on page 6 and 7. May have mentioned more earlier.

AdamR28

I'm currently investigating scuttle shake, so this has been a really useful thread, thanks!

I will check the nuts on the front struts ASAP, then report back when I've sorted some door bushes and a lower mid brace (already have upper front brace which has helped a bit).

barchetta_ms

If anyone has managed to check the front strut bolt torque settings whilst the strut is in the car please let me know how you managed to stop the shock rotating? thanks!

AdamR28

:))  I just went to do the same job and found the same. Figured its tight enough if its trying to rotate the lot.

Tags: