Engine Not Running Well, Noisy Exhaust And O2 Sensor Issues

Started by Erudite, July 12, 2021, 20:32

Ardent

Quote from: Erudite on September 18, 2021, 14:58Thanks guys. One thing I've overlooked is that the old cat to back box gasket has fused to the cat.

Is it best to get an oem replacement or do the third party ebay options work ok? If oem is the route to go down, does anyone have a part number?
If we are talking the "donut" gasket.
Last part number I had was.
17451-22060

Erudite

Well the new cat is finally fitted. I've not taken it out yet but it's sounding a lot healthier.

I had an oil and filter change done at a local garage in January and since then I've not checked the oil (the car has probably only covered 500 miles at most in this time). However, on checking, it's only showing about a 1/4 on the dipstick (the car is on a very slight slope - sloping towards the passenger side).

When I was using the car more last year and checking the oil more frequently, I never noticed any dramatic changes in the oil level.

Looking under the car, I think there could be signs of a leak? I've not noticed anything on the driveway but the felt lining of the plastic cover under the engine seems to be damp.

Carolyn

That does look like a leak. It could be from the drain plug or the oil filter.  It's probably a good idea to drop the plastics, wipe it all off and watch for the tell-tale drip.  As it doesn't seem to be happening at rest, I'd bet on the oil filter.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Just maybe a doubling up of the drain plug washer.
Coincidence, or otherwise, that the oil and filter was recently changed and since then a noticeable drop in level?
Was the oil level checked when the car returned home from the garage?
Is it half a litre of oil that the filter holds?
Not everyone pre fills  the filter and I'd wager that more than once that has led to under filling the system.

Alex Knight

No point checking oil on a slope.

Recheck on a level surface.

Tags: