Leather seat renovation

Started by BARNPOT2000, July 23, 2021, 07:15

BARNPOT2000

As is common, my leather seat bolster drivers side had seen better days...
 You cannot view this attachment.

I had contemplated a trip to the upholsterers but thought I'd try the Colourlock leather fresh dye first... Glad I did 😉...

You cannot view this attachment.

I like leather to look like leather, so a few creases are OK! with me, but I was impressed with how well the leather improved after using this product.
I have no affiliation with the company, but would highly recommend it, at least if you want try something DIY to improve things. As it was so good I decided to seal over the top with another of their products the "leather protector cream"
The suede central panels were also quite bobbly, a "gentle" sweep over with 120 grit sand paper brought them back to almost new in no time, result👍😎.
TF099 silver

Iain

I have some similar stuff sat in the garage waiting to be used, results look good 😃

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Iain on July 23, 2021, 07:25I have some similar stuff sat in the garage waiting to be used, results look good 😃
Thanks, go for it, I think it's quite important to clean the leather well before applying anything to renovate so the product can soak in properly. I just used a regular "leather cleaner".
TF099 silver

JohnGee

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 23, 2021, 07:15I had contemplated a trip to the upholsterers but thought I'd try the Colourlock leather fresh dye first... Glad I did 😉...

Very impressive, looks a great match. Colourlock seem to have close to 50 different colours, did you pick one specifically to match the car seat or use one that you had in for other purposes? Which did you use? Thanks.

John

2006 Roadster, manual, leather, in Sable

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: JohnGee on July 24, 2021, 09:03
Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 23, 2021, 07:15I had contemplated a trip to the upholsterers but thought I'd try the Colourlock leather fresh dye first... Glad I did 😉...

Very impressive, looks a great match. Colourlock seem to have close to 50 different colours, did you pick one specifically to match the car seat or use one that you had in for other purposes? Which did you use? Thanks.

Hi, I wasn't sure which to get but went for plain black 30ml of F034 and it is a good match. One tip I would give is don't try to blend it in within a panel, I should make sure you cover a whole panel if not doing the whole seat. The 30mm bottle goes a long way.
TF099 silver

BARNPOT2000

Also, if you have contrasting stitching like me then factor in a little extra time and patience to avoid colouring the stitching with the dye. I used a very small sable water colour paint brush and a steady hand to repair along and near the stitching 👍. The black 30ml F034 is on Amazon atm for £14.49, may be better prices elsewhere but I went for that one.
TF099 silver

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 25, 2021, 09:16

Hi, I wasn't sure which to get but went for plain black 30ml of F034 and it is a good match. One tip I would give is don't try to blend it in within a panel, I should make sure you cover a whole panel if not doing the whole seat. The 30mm bottle goes a long way.

Thank you for all of that.
The driver's bolster on my 2 is, of course, worn but also of some concern is the central, leather in my case! panels of both seats, where "someone" before my ownership managed to scratch the back of both seats, perhaps with studs on denims.
If, as you suggest, it is best to do a whole panel perhaps I would need the larger (150ml) size?

JohnGee

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 25, 2021, 09:19Also, if you have contrasting stitching like me then factor in a little extra time and patience to avoid colouring the stitching with the dye. I used a very small sable water colour paint brush and a steady hand to repair along the and near the stitching 👍. The black 30ml F034 is on Amazon atm for £14.49, may be better prices elsewhere but I went for that one.

Adrian - Thanks for that info / advice and for pointing out the risk of dyeing the contrast stitching, I'll have to look out my fine paint brushes 👍.

John

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Joesson on July 25, 2021, 10:05

The driver's bolster on my 2 is, of course, worn but also of some concern is the central, leather in my case! panels of both seats, where "someone" before my ownership managed to scratch the back of both seats, perhaps with studs on denims.
If, as you suggest, it is best to do a whole panel perhaps I would need the larger (150ml) size?
I think yes, might be wise, you may need to give a couple of coats and redo again in a few months maybe or longer, not sure how this will wear yet.
TF099 silver

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 25, 2021, 10:42
Quote from: Joesson on July 25, 2021, 10:05

I think yes, might be wise, you may need to give a couple of coats and redo again in a few months maybe or longer, not sure how this will wear like yet.

Having read on here that the seats are interchangeable it may be prudent to swop passenger seat for driver's seat and expose a fresh face to the wear point that is the drivers bolster.

JohnGee

@BARNPOT2000 @Joesson

I've just had a look at the Colourlock website. If you go to the Automotive section, you can supply vehicle reg, VIN, contact details and images and ask them which colour is the best match for your seat, they indicate they'll turn this round in a day or so.

I've just done that to see what they suggest, will let you know what colour code they come back with. This might be better if all that is required is a relatively small scale, local, refurb (which is what I think I need).

John

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: JohnGee on July 25, 2021, 12:20@BARNPOT2000 @Joesson

I've just had a look at the Colourlock website. If you go to the Automotive section, you can supply vehicle reg, VIN, contact details and images and ask them which colour is the best match for your seat, they indicate they'll turn this round in a day or so.

I've just done that to see what they suggest, will let you know what colour code they come back with. This might be better if all that is required is a relatively small scale, local, refurb (which is what I think I need).

Great, it will be interesting to see what they say 👍
TF099 silver

Dev

That looks like really good work. My S2000 seats has the beginnings of a tear and I need to address it soon before it gets worse.

JohnGee

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 25, 2021, 13:44

I've just done that to see what they suggest.

UPDATE - 5 days have passed, nothing from Colourlock. I've just asked them to send me a colour card and I'll see if I can use that to determine the best match for the standard grey/black seat. Will let you know what happens.

John

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: JohnGee on July 30, 2021, 17:59
Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 25, 2021, 13:44

I've just done that to see what they suggest.

UPDATE - 5 days have passed, nothing from Colourlock. I've just asked them to send me a colour card and I'll see if I can use that to determine the best match for the standard grey/black seat. Will let you know what happens.

I also queried the best colour for my seats, after you posted that you had enquired. They did reply, check you junk or spam folders, their reply was lurking in there! They said they would need a sample of the leather from under the seat to get a colour match. I'm happy with the standard black that they do to be honest, matches well enough for my liking.
TF099 silver

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Dev on July 25, 2021, 16:21That looks like really good work. My S2000 seats has the beginnings of a tear and I need to address it soon before it gets worse.

Not sure if this dye alone will be sufficient for a tear, but based on the products generally might be worth looking at the fillers and other products they offer!
TF099 silver

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 30, 2021, 19:58
Quote from: Dev on July 25, 2021, 16:21That looks like really good work. My S2000 seats has the beginnings of a tear and I need to address it soon before it gets worse.

Not sure if this dye alone will be sufficient for a tear, but based on the products generally might be worth looking at the fillers and other products they offer!

@Dev, For " the beginnings of a tear" I would be looking to bond a patch on the reverse side before filling and colouring.

Dev

Will do. I want to get it sorted before it expands.   

Dev

Quote from: Joesson on July 30, 2021, 20:02

@Dev, For " the beginnings of a tear" I would be looking to bond a patch on the reverse side before filling and colouring.

I did something like this for my top repair. Sounds like a good idea here as well. Thanks for the suggestion. 
 For the top I used a product we have here that is used for shoe repair and it does a fine job of never coming undone. 

Joesson

Quote from: Dev on July 30, 2021, 20:09

I did something like this for my top repair. Sounds like a good idea here as well. Thanks for the suggestion. 
 For the top I used a product we have here that is used for shoe repair and it does a fine job of never coming undone. 

I might have had a tube of that at one time, can't recall the name, I bought it in Washington State, where our son lives, to repair a pair of trainers. It did stick like something on a blanket.

JohnGee

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 30, 2021, 19:28I also queried the best colour for my seats, after you posted that you had enquired. They did reply, check you junk or spam folders, their reply was lurking in there! They said they would need a sample of the leather from under the seat to get a colour match. I'm happy with the standard black that they do to be honest, matches well enough for my liking.

Thanks, I've checked junk again but don't see anything, will wait to see what the colour chart suggests. Their automotive section only offers Toyota "Oak" as a standard colour, wouldn't describe my car as having oak coloured seats, no idea whether current or more recent Toyotas have a very different leather colour. Will see what happens.
John

Dev

Quote from: Joesson on July 30, 2021, 20:14

I might have had a tube of that at one time, can't recall the name, I bought it in Washington State, where our son lives, to repair a pair of trainers. It did stick like something on a blanket.

Was it called Shoe Goo. Its what we recommend for those that want to fix a separating top. Strong flexible adhesion that is permanent.  Also good for shoe repair.

Joesson

Quote from: Dev on July 30, 2021, 20:40
Quote from: Joesson on July 30, 2021, 20:14

Was it called Shoe Goo. Its what we recommend for those that want to fix a separating top. Strong flexible adhesion that is permanent.  Also good for shoe repair.

It could well have been, I seem to recall "Shoe" in the name, it did work on my trainers!

JohnGee

Quote from: JohnGee on July 30, 2021, 20:20
Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 30, 2021, 19:28I also queried the best colour for my seats, after you posted that you had enquired. They did reply, check you junk or spam folders, their reply was lurking in there! They said they would need a sample of the leather from under the seat to get a colour match. I'm happy with the standard black that they do to be honest, matches well enough for my liking.

Thanks, I've checked junk again but don't see anything, will wait to see what the colour chart suggests. Their automotive section only offers Toyota "Oak" as a standard colour, wouldn't describe my car as having oak coloured seats, no idea whether current or more recent Toyotas have a very different leather colour. Will see what happens.

The Colourlock colour chart arrived today. Their standard F037 (Grey) looks a bit too light to me, their F028 (Light Blue Green) doesn't look right either, perhaps F046 (Anthracite) might be best and that's very similar to the F034 (Black) that @BARNPOT2000 used.

Will take a look at the seat and chart next to each other when's the car's next outside and see what it looks like in reasonably bright, natural light (more like a miserable October day here today, not high summer!). Will post a photo.

John

JohnGee

@BARNPOT2000 @Joesson

Colour chart offered up to seat with car outside, top down, on a bright and reasonably sunny day.

To my mind (and eye) the best colour match is their standard F030 (Black Green), though the leather and colour swatch do obviously vary dependent on viewing angle, sun, shade, partial shade etc, see below.

Might ask my wife to cast her eye over it (she has much better "eye" for colours). I think I'll see if my S American chums can get me a pot and give it a try.

John

Tags: