Stripped thread hardtop

Started by Dudi, August 23, 2021, 10:15

Dudi

Purchased a hardtop to be use on my track MR2 and realised that one of the threads - drivers side front - the threads on the actual hardtop where you attach the front clip, (not the thread on the car for attaching the striker) is damaged.

Are these inserts which could be bought from Toyota or would it be a tap and helicoil job?

I'm going to be using a solid mounting kit and would very rarely remove the hardtop.

Thanks in advance.

ManInDandism

Quote from: Dudi on August 23, 2021, 10:15Purchased a hardtop to be use on my track MR2 and realised that one of the threads - drivers side front - the threads on the actual hardtop where you attach the front clip, (not the thread on the car for attaching the striker) is damaged.

Are these inserts which could be bought from Toyota or would it be a tap and helicoil job?

I'm going to be using a solid mounting kit and would very rarely remove the hardtop.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I am aware, the LOCK ASSEMBLY is only sold as a single component.  So don't think you can get a part from it.

Can probably find a used one if you keep a lookout.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

J88TEO

OP talking about the threads on the hardtop, not the lock assembly.
Hardtop is fibreglass so the nut would have been enbedded.
Damaged threads or loose nut?

Dudi

Damaged thread but some eyes closed use of cutting fluid and tap seems to have sorted them out.

It does appear it's an embedded nut so hopefully if any future issues, can take the trim apart and replace the nut somehow.

Tags: