Subframe - bushes - with picture

Started by Flibby, September 1, 2021, 00:59

Flibby

Hi All,

Due to some difficult but rather non-interesting to anyone else problems, I put off my subframe project until now. I have raised a threat previously but didn't want to resurrect it - apologies if that's not the right thing to have done.

I have managed to get the car up on a much better hydraulic lift giving me much better access which is handy. Obviously the current subframe is falling to bits. I'm confident doing the job, but just have a couple of questions from you expert if you don't mind:

1. When the arms are disconnected at (1) and (2) can you wiggle them off the top of the subframe? From my look at it I couldn't see how they could actually be removed from the Subframe without also being disconnected at the hub.

2. Do people tend to change the bushes in (1) and (2)? I would assume so at this sort of age but I can only find poly race bushings which, to be honest, I would struggle to justify on top of the Subframe, Handbrake and a couple of other jobs I need doing so would prefer to get some like for like rubber bushings as I can imagine as bit of a fight with my impact wrench to get the current bolts out  ;D

3. I have found replacement rear camber bolts for (1) but does anyone know the name or part number for the bolts at (2)?

Any help gratefully appreciated  8) I am not on a commission, but would genuinely recommend this lift to anyone who's back struggles with the height you get from Jack Stands... https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/

Iain

I would think you will need to undo the bolts at the hub end aswell to remove from the car.

The bushes will be past there best no doubt, but may still be fine for regular driving. I dont think you can buy the bushes on their own, you need to buy the whole arm, not sure how much they are im afraid.

I think this is the nut and bolt you need
https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/1211

mr2garageswindon

I have replaced a fair few subframes, quite often the camber bolt or the other bolt seizes into the bush sleeve and you end up cutting the arms out with a disc cutter then drilling the remainder of the bolt from the sleeve.
Judging by the pics I would say that is quite likely to be the case.
I undo the arms from the hubs then drop the subframe onto the floor or bench to attack the bolts afterwards.
If the bolts come out its a nice job.. if not.. its not.

Best of luck.

Flibby

Quote from: mr2garageswindon on September  1, 2021, 13:31I have replaced a fair few subframes, quite often the camber bolt or the other bolt seizes into the bush sleeve and you end up cutting the arms out with a disc cutter then drilling the remainder of the bolt from the sleeve.
Judging by the pics I would say that is quite likely to be the case.
I undo the arms from the hubs then drop the subframe onto the floor or bench to attack the bolts afterwards.
If the bolts come out its a nice job.. if not.. its not.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. I did wonder whether I would get better purchase on the bolts with a solid base whilst still attached to the car, but clearly there are benefits to getting it off first.

When you have drilled out the bolts have you always replaced the bushes or have you managed to re-use?

mr2garageswindon

I have saved the bushes, but drilling the bolts out is pretty time consuming. You can get Powerflex bushes for them if required (Euro car parts are a Powerflex agent).
If you have the funds to replace the arms I would do so as it saves lots of cutting grinding swearing etc.

Mark A

I bought a new subframe and some 2nd hand arms, had them shot blasted, powder coated and poly bushed. It saved me time in the long run, not cutting or drilling on the car.

Flibby

It certainly does start to look more appealing to buy the arms from GT4-Play. I've seen posts going back some time suggesting that they were good to deal with - are they still decent?

Tags: