Engine Parts to replace?

Started by EJMK3, September 2, 2021, 11:50

EJMK3

Head gasket has recently blown, getting it warp tested and skimmed etc. While it's all out and easy to access-- what parts of an '06 1zz are worth replacing?

Bearing in mind I need to keep costs down- obviously gaskets getting completely changed and wondering about tensioners and chain.

Any other parts and where would be recommended to go? Know of TCB as the go-to. Thanks in advance

Carolyn

Quote from: EJMK3 on September  2, 2021, 11:50Head gasket has recently blown, getting it warp tested and skimmed etc. While it's all out and easy to access-- what parts of an '06 1zz are worth replacing?

Bearing in mind I need to keep costs down- obviously gaskets getting completely changed and wondering about tensioners and chain.

Any other parts and where would be recommended to go? Know of TCB as the go-to. Thanks in advance

Water pump and thermostat.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

EJMK3

Quote from: Carolyn on September  2, 2021, 14:48
Quote from: EJMK3 on September  2, 2021, 11:50Head gasket has recently blown, getting it warp tested and skimmed etc. While it's all out and easy to access-- what parts of an '06 1zz are worth replacing?

Water pump and thermostat.
thank you!

Alex Knight

Joesson

In the late 60's I had a Fiat 1500 (1961-1967) that had a noisy timing chain until the chain slipped around the worn sprockets and the car refused to start. Fortunately that engine was a non interference regarding valves and piston heads and I replaced the sprockets and chain and all was well.
I can't remember the mileage of the engine and materials technology has moved on from then but what is the expected life of the 1zz sprockets?

Dev

Quote from: Joesson on September  2, 2021, 21:15In the late 60's I had a Fiat 1500 (1961-1967) that had a noisy timing chain until the chain slipped around the worn sprockets and the car refused to start. Fortunately that engine was a non interference regarding valves and piston heads and I replaced the sprockets and chain and all was well.
I can't remember the mileage of the engine and materials technology has moved on from then but what is the expected life of the 1zz sprockets?

Metallurgy has come a long way with various parts of an engine including the design of the tensioners and guides. I believe the exhaust side sprocket will out last the engine many times over. For the intake side the sprocket should last as well but the failing component depending on which revision of the VVT actuator you have has a failure rate particularly the lock pin which wears out over time but it is rare.

I read a white paper that discussed the causes of the premature wear of these components including timing chain stretch in all modern engines which was attributed to partially occluded oil passages that feeds these components caused by dirty engine oil. Mostly those owners did not service their car at the prescribed intervals. What they found that increases the life of these components is synthetic oil.

Tags: