Temp sensor location

Started by Berty, September 3, 2021, 15:01

Berty

Hi Folks,
I am cursed with a fault code of P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control as soon as my engine is up to temp ...... where on earth is the sensor fitted on the engine so I can look at changing it? Apologies if this has been asked countless times before ...... I did carry out a search before posting honest😔 thanks for your time 👍

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Berty

Thanks for the reply, having read through it all I can say is I have renewed the 3 exhaust mounted sensors and still have the fault coming back as soon as the engine is up to temp  ...... so, is there a temp sensor other than the one for the gauge and if there is where is it located.? Thanks.

Carolyn

Quote from: Berty on September  4, 2021, 13:09Thanks for the reply, having read through it all I can say is I have renewed the 3 exhaust mounted sensors and still have the fault coming back as soon as the engine is up to temp  ...... so, is there a temp sensor other than the one for the gauge and if there is where is it located.? Thanks.
That sensor on the left hand side of the cylinder head does a lot more than run the temperature gauge.

It's the only temp sensor in the car.  The ECU uses it for running the engine properly.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on September  4, 2021, 15:20
Quote from: Berty on September  4, 2021, 13:09Thanks for the reply, having read through it all I can say is I have renewed the 3 exhaust mounted sensors and still have the fault coming back as soon as the engine is up to temp  ...... so, is there a temp sensor other than the one for the gauge and if there is where is it located.? Thanks.
That sensor on the left hand side of the cylinder head does a lot more than run the temperature gauge.

It's the only temp sensor in the car.  The ECU uses it for running the engine properly.
90% of the fueling works off the IAT sensor in the MAF. The coolant temp sensor is more of a "gate". If under A, do B. If above X do Y.

To link it to the P0125, part of what determines what fueling state the car can go in. If the coolant temp sensor errors, then it won't trigger closed loop mode. If it reads incorrectly it will also affect when a fueling state is triggered (too early or too late).

It's rarely the coolant temp sensor. Good thing too as it's an absolute pain to change. Drain all the coolant, crap access, etc.
Do you have a code reader that allows you to check the signal from the o2 sensors?
Also, have you cleaned the MAF?
...neutiquam erro.

Berty

Thanks for the responses yet again ... I do have a spare MAF so I may swap it with the fitted one and see what happens first.👍

Tags: