Battery light flickering on

Started by Microgerry, September 18, 2021, 21:13

Microgerry

Hi all

I noticed a small problem last week whilst out enjoying the lovely weather, top down, in the Peak District.

Very randomly the battery and brake warning lights came on together for about 10 seconds and then went off. This would happen about every 20 to 30 minutes. No strange sounds were heard, no drop in performance, nothing but the lights every now and then. The day after once home again I made sure the battery terminals were both tight and had a visual check around some other leads but found no problem. That is about the extent of my abilities so am considering getting it in to a garage for diagnosis or repair. The problem I have is that it is so intermittent they may not be able to replicate the problem. I drive it every day but the problem does not happen every day

Anyone ever had this?

shnazzle

Alternator fun. 
Check your voltages standing still and while engine running. 
Report back
...neutiquam erro.

Microgerry

Hi again

Battery voltage when standing is 12.4v and while engine running 14.3v

Gerry

Carolyn

When you say 'brake warning light - was that handbrake on or ABS?

The alternator is probably beginning to struggle, possibly a diode in the built-in rectifier/regulator.

If it gets worse, it will be time for a replacement alternator.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Microgerry

It was the handbrake light.

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse

Alex Knight

100% alternator on the way out.

Get it changed before it leaves you stranded.

shnazzle

Quote from: Alex Knight on September 19, 2021, 22:49100% alternator on the way out.

Get it changed before it leaves you stranded.
And it really is no fun because it won't suddenly go. It'll be fine, you'll be driving around merrily and all of a sudden lights start going on your dash. Then your power steering goes. Then the engine stalls at a junction and it's the end of the story.
...neutiquam erro.

Microgerry

Hi again. I have been monitoring the flickering lights situation and it has become more common. Before I waste money on the wrong item I just thought I would get some opinions again if I may.
Is it worth buying a used alternator off someone who is breaking a car or best to go for brand new? Not sure of the cost of brand new from Toyota (if available) but have seen a brand new oem spec part for only £76.84 on ebay. Are these any good? What would you guys recommend? Btw, I am no mechanic so will have to get a garage or somebody helpful to replace it.
Any thoughts appreciated
Gerry

Dev

The alternator is not an easy thing to replace. It takes patience and perseverance. If you buy a reconditioned alternator they have a higher failure rate depending on which one you get and that could have the mechanic doing the job twice. The OEM Denso is the best but its very expensive. A used low millage one from a wrecker is not a bad option if you know the condition.

If you go for the cheaper options it could make better financial sense only if you get lucky as not all of them fail.

shnazzle

Go for a 2nd hand one. JSpec has been getting some worryingly late-year and clean MR2s lately so their alternators should be good.
Expect to pay about 45-50. 
Don't do an ebay one. I did and it's been nothing but trouble. 

As Dev said, the process of changing it is not fun. That's the only fly in the ointment. I'd help if you were near here. Maybe someone else closer? Otherwise you're probably looking at a bill of about 100gbp (2hrs) depending on where you are.

It takes me about an 45 mins all-in, but I've done it twice before. So factoring in 2x the time for a garage who has to look it all up, minus some time for a lift and better equipment than I have :)
...neutiquam erro.

Dev

Quote from: shnazzle on October 16, 2021, 14:33Go for a 2nd hand one. JSpec has been getting some worryingly late-year and clean MR2s lately so their alternators should be good.

As Dev said, the process of changing it is not fun. That's the only fly in the ointment. I'd help if you were near here. Maybe someone else closer? Otherwise you're probably looking at a bill of about 100gbp (2hrs) depending on where you are.

It takes me about an 45 mins all-in, but I've done it twice before. So factoring in 2x the time for a garage who has to look it all up, minus some time for a lift and better equipment than I have :)

You are a better man than I. I have told locals I will help them with everything but the alternator replacement. My hands are just too big.

shnazzle

Quote from: Dev on October 16, 2021, 16:35
Quote from: shnazzle on October 16, 2021, 14:33Go for a 2nd hand one. JSpec has been getting some worryingly late-year and clean MR2s lately so their alternators should be good.

You are a better man than I. I have told locals I will help them with everything but the alternator replacement. My hands are just too big.

Funny you mention that haha!

The reason it is easier for me is because of my tiny squirrel hands! And knowing how to do it all by feel now
...neutiquam erro.

Microgerry

Just a little update to thank you all for your comments and suggestions, it has now been fixed.
Alternator replaced, no more pesky lights (well, for now anyway!).
Seriously could not believe the quote from my local Toyota garage.  :o 
More than double the price I paid!  ;D

Tags: