High idle

Started by mickom23, October 6, 2021, 10:17

mickom23

First of all, thanks for letting me join.
I have recently bought a 2002 Roadster and have been doing bits and bobs. Im struggling with the idle. It goes high when warm. Ive bled the water system but this really didnt solve my issue. Im now thinking its the idle control valve. Are these servicable/can be cleaned or is it a replacement. If its the latter, how much are they and where can I get one. Many thanks. Micko.

Carolyn

They do need to be cleaned occasionally.  There's a 'how to' on this:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=60448.0

While you're in there, might as well clean the throttle body!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

mickom23

Many thanks.
Micko.

Gaz mr-s

When you bleed it (properly hot) do you get air out of it?  Is your coolant level stable when the car is cold?

Dev

While you are there cleaning the throttle body check to see if the plate is able to snap to the fully closed position. 
Next shine a light into the throttle body and see if the plate edges are making a air tight seal. If it looks like there is some leakage at the edge use some painters tape and seal up the throttle body plate so no air can pass. The only hole that should be open is the one on the bottom before the plate that goes to the IAC valve.

Place  the air intake back on and start the car like you would normally. Whatever you do do not press the throttle.  Observe if the idle comes down to the correct value.
 When these throttle bodies get old the bushings that allow the plate to rotate comes out of round and and causes a slight misalignment which allows  a small amount of air to leak past causing the idle to increase.
  A stuck IAC valve is also the culprit but not always.

M.Dub

Quote from: mickom23 on October  6, 2021, 10:17First of all, thanks for letting me join.
I have recently bought a 2002 Roadster and have been doing bits and bobs. Im struggling with the idle. It goes high when warm. Ive bled the water system but this really didnt solve my issue. Im now thinking its the idle control valve. Are these servicable/can be cleaned or is it a replacement. If its the latter, how much are they and where can I get one. Many thanks. Micko.
does the idle change at all or does it remain constantly high?

Could it be as simple as a sticking throttle cable?

Tags: