Recommend me a new ratchet

Started by cptspaulding, October 11, 2021, 15:36

cptspaulding

Jason's response in my favourite tool thread reminded me that my current 3/8" drive ratchet is on its way out & needs replacing. It's done me 35 years, so doesn't owe me anything.

Did a night class in basic car maintenance when I got my 1st car & the teacher told us to say we were from the college at a local motor factors & we got 15% off the list. Still have nearly all of those tools plus many more added since.

Given I'm strictly a DIY'er on basic maintenance, I'd rather not break the bank.

Any recommendations? Oh & can I still get 15% discount as a Kingsway Tech student?
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Roj

For a little bit extra outlay, you can get a better quality tool with a lifetime warranty. Halfords Advance 3/8 Ratchet

I've had my Halfords Professional (the old 'Advanced') socket set for almost 25yrs now and it still looks brand new despite me working on rusty piles of crap for most of those years and hanging off the ratchets with cheater bars!

I used to work there when I was a nipper and it's a genuinely good warranty - break a tool, go to your local Halfords, they'll replace it if in stock, or order it in if not.

shnazzle

Second the Halfords Advanced range.
I've put mine through somea buse. No breaks so far
...neutiquam erro.

AJRFulton

All my good ratchets are Teng. Not sure what they cost now, but I would imagine a 72 tooth 3/8ths is maybe £30-40. I really like Teng stuff.

Was always impressed with the Magnusson stuff my old work bought out of Screwfix. They didn't really do any nuts and bolts work, but had a tool kit for the odd time the needed to. They seemed very good for the price point, and (presumably) 72 toothed as well.

Halfords advanced/pro stuff is very good too. Been a staple of the amateur mechanic for years for good reason. My kit was an 18th birthday present, and depressingly that is 20yrs old in 2wks time. It's been demoted in recent years from the garage to the race van - but it's still bloody useful!

Tbh, unless you are shopping at the very bottom end of the cheap and nasty - the quality of even cheap tools is far superior to what it was even 10yrs ago. I've seen me buy cheap infrequent use things, and tbh.... They've been decent.

As a side note, as a "cheap" 3x ratchet tool kit to keep in the car/van - I'd recommend the Amazon basics one. My mate got one and I couldn't believe A) it was Amazon branded and B) it was only £50.

cptspaulding

Thanks all.

I think I'll go for that Halfords advanced.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Tags: