Engine Coolant Drain

Started by Mook, October 23, 2021, 21:10

Mook

I'm new to this car maintenance stuff, and I'm looking at the picture on page CO-2 of the BGB, but still have no idea where to find the engine drain plug. I assume it is underneath the car, but to be honest I can't even figure out which way up that picture goes  :-[

Does anybody happen to have a convenient photo / idiot-proof directions on where to find it please?

shnazzle

Looks like a little tap.

Edit: removed the pic as it was crap and not representative haha
...neutiquam erro.

Mook

That's the same pic I was looking at... call me an idiot, but from where is that bottom pic of the engine taken, and how should I be aiming to get to it?

Mook

Quote from: Mook on October 23, 2021, 21:40That's the same pic I was looking at... call me an idiot, but from where is that bottom pic of the engine taken, and how should I be aiming to get to it?

And before anybody says anything (perhaps I am just too used to my daughter's pedantry!), I know it's a drawing not a pic, but you get what I mean... where is the "camera"? The diagram is not sufficiently idiot-proof  :P

shnazzle

Quote from: Mook on October 23, 2021, 21:43
Quote from: Mook on October 23, 2021, 21:40That's the same pic I was looking at... call me an idiot, but from where is that bottom pic of the engine taken, and how should I be aiming to get to it?

And before anybody says anything (perhaps I am just too used to my daughter's pedantry!), I know it's a drawing not a pic, but you get what I mean... where is the "camera"? The diagram is not sufficiently idiot-proof  :P
The camera is attached to the bottom of the middle of the subframe, looking forwards.

But... Unless my memory is failing me, I remember taking it out more on the left front side of the engine. The pic suggests middle bottom.

Maybe I'm missing something but I know I removed the plug and it was definitely higher up and to the left. Little 4mm bent pipe sticking off a bolt.
...neutiquam erro.

Mook

Cheers shnazzle, I'll have another look tomorrow. I was hoping to have the new radiator in by now, but turns out that it's not as simple as just having instructions and tools... you also need to have a clue!  ;D

shnazzle

Quote from: Mook on October 23, 2021, 22:35Cheers shnazzle, I'll have another look tomorrow. I was hoping to have the new radiator in by now, but turns out that it's not as simple as just having instructions and tools... you also need to have a clue!  ;D
Any particular reason you're doing a full coolant drain?

If it's just for a radiator replacement, it's certainly not needed. 
Just needs the two big hoses at the front clamped off. You'll lose maybe a cup or two.

But if you've bought new coolabt to fill from scratch, might as well I guess.
...neutiquam erro.

Mook

Quote from: shnazzle on October 23, 2021, 22:38Any particular reason you're doing a full coolant drain?

If it's just for a radiator replacement, it's certainly not needed.
Just needs the two big hoses at the front clamped off. You'll lose maybe a cup or two.

But if you've bought new coolabt to fill from scratch, might as well I guess.

It was due a coolant change at the last service, but the garage said they weren't going to do it because experience told them that it would probably result in the radiator developing a leak!

I've found the drain plug... the description really helped, thanks! :D

Mook

Quote from: Mook on October 24, 2021, 02:12I've found the drain plug... the description really helped, thanks! :D

Oh, and I also found an oil leak, yay!

Tags: